• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King: Panthers want to come out of this draft with more picks than the seven it currently holds

TheSpecialJuan

48 minutes ago, vorbis said:

Scott Fitterer, in his first press conference as the Panthers GM, stated that it was a general philosophy of his that, unless the Panthers are picking in the top 15 or so picks, he's going to try to trade back to get more picks. so this is not exactly breaking news, guys. being at #8, he still has room to trade back and stay within that top 15 or so, if the value is right.

I agree that trading down is a real possibility.

6 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

I’d rather quality over quantity 

I agree but if you remember what Fitterer said. He believes that basically, after the first 15-18 picks there is very little separation in talent. It's about fit, so makes sense. They could trade back to 12 - 15 and maybe move back in the 2nd as well. Also, the more guys you have on rookie contracts, the more it frees up cap space for higher end players, whether resigning your own or free agents.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Have you seen how many players we signed?

Yes, so far so good. I'm speaking in general not any GM in particular. That's why wanting more picks should be irrelevant if you've done your job.

That's why it's just a fluff piece with no relevant sources, conjecture at best.

Edited by rippadonn

In Fitts' original presser he said once you clear the top half of the first round or so a lot of the prospects have less that separate them. 

If I'm basing a hypothesis off that logic it would make more sense to stay at 8 and make the pick, then use the 2nd and 3rd rounders as ammunition to cultivate additional picks for the rest of the draft. 

I would also not be surprised though unlikely to see us trade up. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Smittymoose said:

Teddy was worth a flier. He was young with some theoretical upside. It didn’t work out here. In the grand scheme of things, that contract is not a big deal.

Cap space is always a big deal for a team at the bottom of their division. And make no mistake about it that is exactly where we are and have been the last couple of years. Teddy not only didn't change that we were arguably worse off because we sunk over 100 million dollars in only three players last year and didn't move an inch toward improving our record in the nfc south. That is just awful.

3 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I'm sorry but if Fields is there at 8, you have to take him. The QB position needs to be addressed on way or another. You don't have the luxury to trade away potential Franchise QB's when you are LOOKING for a Potential Franchise QB. Makes no sense. 

People are dumb, I don't see how soooo many are sold on Darnold, was Gase an issue, sure....but Sam MADE the throws / made the decisions once the ball was snapped. 

To me he's an upgrade in arm talent / willingness to pass past the sticks over TB. Teddy B. is the better QB between the two TODAY. This could change, but I wouldn't bet that on Sam, and I do think our team overall will be better which means we likely play ourselves into a .500 ish record which means we're likely out of any QB race in 2022 unless we pull a 49ers which no one was willing to do this year. 

Fields, or Lance to me should definitely be in play at #8 if there, this is a deep OL class, you take the QB first. 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

People are dumb, I don't see how soooo many are sold on Darnold, was Gase an issue, sure....but Sam MADE the throws / made the decisions once the ball was snapped. 

To me he's an upgrade in arm talent / willingness to pass past the sticks over TB. Teddy B. is the better QB between the two TODAY. This could change, but I wouldn't bet that on Sam, and I do think our team overall will be better which means we likely play ourselves into a .500 ish record which means we're likely out of any QB race in 2022 unless we pull a 49ers which no one was willing to do this year. 

Fields, or Lance to me should definitely be in play at #8 if there, this is a deep OL class, you take the QB first. 

Yeah good points. If one is there at 8, do you pass on them knowing it might take 3 first rounds plus some to get maybe the 2nd/3rd best prospect next year if Darnold doesn’t work out? I like to look at best/worst case scenarios. If Darnold works out and your rookie shows promise you can easily get back the draft capital from Darnold’s trade and a whole lot more. If the rookie looks to be a bust, you still have Darnold who would beat him out in camp in this scenario and you only are out 1 first rounder. 
If you pass on one (if they are there) and Darnold is just meh this year, it’s going to take a lot of capital to try to draft a top QB next year who could still bust. This right here is a potential franchise killer with a new staff coming in...

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Teddy wasn’t worth a flier. Turned 28 during the season last year so not really young in my book and we threw away $70M+ on Teddy, Okung, Weatherly, Short, Apple and Roberts. You really think these throw away deals don’t hurt a team? We are having to decide to not resign Samuel (without Short and Okung, easy to keep him or Anderson after this year), maybe not resign Moton due to his demands (without 1 year of Teddy, we could easily pay a little extra to keep Moton for 5 years). You accuse me of playing Madden and you just nonchalantly act like wasting a ton of money on a set of mediocre players that got us 0 more wins than our terrible 2019 season with Kyle Allen and Will Grier starting 14 games.

So trading Jamal Adams is typical for a team trying to compete? They sure signed a ton of big dollar FAs for 2020. Lol at thinking the Jets tried to win in 2020.

Also, the Dolphins tanked in 2019 not 2020. Did you see the amount of cap they had before 2020 and how many FAs they signed? They traded their star LT, traded Minkah Fitzpatrick before 2019 and let go of Pouncey their C the year before to get rid of cap. The definition of tanking. I can’t help if they picked Tua instead of Herbert. Still doesn’t mean they didn’t tank, just means they drafted the wrong guy but because of their dump of Tunsil, they still have a bunch more extra firsts and other picks.

You do understand that all I said was that they tanked and it got them a ton of draft capital, right? If Tua doesn’t work out then it just means their scouts weren’t good and picked the wrong QB. No draft picks are guaranteed. Same with the Jets and Jags. Maybe one of those QBs busts, but it doesn’t mean they weren’t not signing FAs and not trading their studs like Ramsey and Adams. That’s tanking. Tanking is not telling your players not to play hard, it’s getting rid of your top players for picks, not wasting cap by not signing FAs (Dolphins did this and then splurged in 2020) and basically going for top picks.

I’ll end with this. I personally laid out my rebuilding plan so it’s not like I didn’t put my stake in the ground before 2020 and that’s why I respond to stuff like this. I hated those moves before the season not after. Can you honestly say that signing Teddy, Weatherly, Apple and Roberts, trading Turner for Okung coming off missing most of 2019 and paying $13M more to Short coming off missing almost all of 2019 were things that were going to take a 5-11 team losing Cam, Luke, Bradberry and others to the playoffs? If so, then there’s no way to convince you that going full rebuild in 2020 would have yielded better results for our future such as a 3rd round comp in this draft for Bradberry and another $70M+ in cap space (basically Moton for free for 4-5 years including tag).

Wow, that sure is a lot of words for being completely unrealistic and wrong. Funny honestly.

You obviously don't understand how NFL contracts work if you think we "threw away" $70M on those guys. You have to fill a roster and field a team. The cap floor was $175M last year. Carolina was going to sign some free agents. You take cheap fliers on guys every year intentionally. If it works out, great, maybe you have a year like 2015. If it doesn't, then you churn through those bottom of the roster guys at the end of the year. That's what's happening here. The only one that was even a semi-costly mistake was Teddy, and even that contract is again, not bad as the impact is minimal beyond 2020 and 2021.

The Jets got an offer they couldn't turn down for a disgruntled player. If they were mailing it in, then they wouldn't have asked for McDougald in return. There's a difference between intentionally tanking and just being bad. They were just bad. They were not tanking.

You don't get it. You're bitching about Carolina not "tanking," but Miami's "tank" lead to them ending up a grand 3 draft spots in 2019 ahead of Carolina this year. Who was Carolina going to trade for first round picks last year? Realistically? Let's see your list.

And you are still so hilariously wrong. Miami gave Ryan Fitzpatrick a two-year deal worth 8 figures. They signed Dwayne Allen and Eric Rowe. They gave up a second round pick for Josh Rosen. They re-signed DeVante Parker when he'd done nothing prior to that. The Jaguars signed Mike Glennon, Chris Thompson, Tyler Eifert, Cassius Marsh, Aaron Lynch, Al Woods, Joe Schobert, and Rashaan Melvin to their tank squad. Schobert's deal was worth $50M total. The kind of do-nothing off-season for which you're advocating is non-existent in the NFL even for teams that are legitimately tearing down their rosters. 

• Beer 1