• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Intrigued by Fields

ncfan

7 hours ago, pantherj said:

I was excited when we signed Russell Okung because he, aside from being established as being really good, was that he's 6'5" with 36 inch arm length.

Joe Thomas has 33.75 inch arms. Arm length is highly over-weighted as a metric. It's not unimportant, but it's not a determining factor in failure or success. 

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

Joe Thomas has 33.75 inch arms. Arm length is highly over-weighted as a metric. It's not unimportant, but it's not a determining factor in failure or success. 

They had Joe Thomas and NO QB, for a decade +. Give me the QB 10 out of 10.

• Pie 3

9 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I tend to prefer my LT to be around 7'3", over 375 lbs and usually at least 42" arm length. I do like at least a 12" hand, as well. 

It helps a lot for picking up DE's by the scruff of their neck and then tossing them at a DT.

...and runs a 4.3 and can lift 500 lbs 50 reps.

• The D 1

9 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I tend to prefer my LT to be around 7'3", over 375 lbs and usually at least 42" arm length. I do like at least a 12" hand, as well. 

It helps a lot for picking up DE's by the scruff of their neck and then tossing them at a DT.

Weird... that’s how I Iike my kickers. what were the chances of that?

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We had a qb and no line and never had back to back winning seasons.  In fact we got said qb killed.  Its a happy medium we are trying to reach

But we at least had a SB appearance with a FA Tackle, Matt Moore and Clausen had Gross, and did nothing. It will always START and end with the QB in this era. 

You can't hide behind a top defense, and ball control, because eventually you will run into ta team that can score. Look at all the playoff teams the last few years, they all have THEIR QB. 

If you guys are sold on Sam Darnold you're in for some disappointment. We don't have an answer at QB yet. We will have cap to pay a FA LT moving forward, and this years class is deep there. 

Use your head. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 3

10 hours ago, bandu said:

ok well sorry for the bad news but I'm saying right now Darnold will not be fine  even prior to the start of the season  or let's say movie for the real spoiler alert   ...just saying

I have no idea if Darnold will be good, but I find the people who are absolutely certain they know one way or another to be pretty funny.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We had a qb and no line and never had back to back winning seasons.  In fact we got said qb killed.  Its a happy medium we are trying to reach

The quarterback was inconsistent at times but before the arm started to go we more often than not always had a shot at a win against any team in the league. And that was without a franchise left tackle. To me the biggest contributing factor in the lack of back to back winning seasons in that era was from the front office. We had a core still in place in 2016 to make another run and finish with another winning record at minimum. But we sabotaged ourselves. We also truthfully didn't fight enough on behalf of our signal caller because regardless of the void at left tackle there were numerous instances of headhunting at that time that went unaddressed and we basically threw our hands up and relented. But we cannot make that same mistake again and throw our hands up because we are afraid to take a quarterback if the opportunity arises. Especially if as you mentioned you are committed to finally ending the lack of consecutive winning seasons. The task of changing that situation in this current version of the NFL begins and ends with a franchise quarterback and there is no disputing that if your viewpoint is rooted in reality. Many of us hope that Sam Darnold can be that for us but to put all of our eggs in that basket without attempting to have a fallback plan knowing what we know after 25 years of existence would be foolish.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Every regular season: "Why don't we have a better offensive line?

Every following offseason: "We don't really need to take a tackle in the first round."

Lather, rinse, repeat...

Hurney fuged us last draft when we had a choice of a premier tackle.  Hopefully Fit doesnt do the same if the draft falls like I hope it does.  fug hurney

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

We need a good qb and a good line. Quit with this simpleton approach of its gotta be this before that. 

Exactly. It all depends on who falls/is available at 8 and where our staff ranks them. We aren’t going to avoid the top LT fir our 5 ranked QB, or ignore a top rated QB for a LT we aren’t as high on.

12 hours ago, onmyown said:

Why wouldn’t it be a competition? I’m a true believer in it. It’s what Rivera, Fox and Hurney didn’t believe in.

Hell let TB compete too if were fuged cap wise for him anyway (sarcasm mostly).

In all seriousness the Packers didn’t waste a pick when they already had Favre, Colts didn’t for Luck when they already had Manning, Patriots have used 2/3 round for QBs all along Brady’s later years...you keep swinging until you hit. If the Panthers had done this when Cam started getting hurt, who knows we might’ve traded down and gotten Lamar Jackson. Yea that’s another discussion and a lot of speculation but you never know.

I think it’s good for the players to know  there is someone keeping them on their toes. There is absolutely nothing wrong having a lot of young talent for the ‘next man up’ at QB instead of just a backup. It’s what the teams above did, Eagles took Hurts. Despite the picks given up, in no way did Darnold earn his spot as the Panther’s starting QB. Why give him that complacency? 

It’s not that I’d prefer it, as I said I prefer a top LT but I won’t be mad at it, I’d understand it and value the effort. And a trade down while we’re at it? It’s worth it. You keep swinging until you hit.

We have this notion of keeping one QB with talent and never upkeeping the position with talent not placeholders. I wouldn’t mind seeing that changing.

Those teams you named also had established starters at QB with more complete teams around them. They could afford to take a QB in the first to sit and develop. The Panthers don't.

12 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

There is a very good chance we trade next year’s second and a couple late picks for Darnold because we doubted the QB we wanted would be there at 8. Go ahead and lock up our backup plan before the draft so

A) teams are less tempted to jump us and draft a QB 

B) we won’t have to trade the farm to jump up and grab a QB we like

C) we won’t have to worry about getting into a bidding war for Darnold with desperate teams who couldn’t land a QB in the draft after it’s over

This does not mean we are set and don’t draft a guy that falls to us. Those three picks wouldn’t be wasted. Darnold would have an advantage to start the season since he has been in the league 3 years. If our rookie is good we can ease him in and trade Darnold next year if we pick up his 5th year.

Maybe, maybe not. The Panthers may be sold on Darnold being the guy and not want to draft a QB early. They may decide to take one in the later rounds as a developmental guy though.

12 hours ago, Shocker said:

Interesting that Jimmy mentioned that the Darnold deal does not take them out of the draft QB market.  Rhule said that, Fitty said it and now JJ said it.  Maybe we should believe them.

Just because they are saying they might take a QB doesn't mean it'll be in the first. The GM did say he liked taking developmental guys in the mid to late rounds every couple of years. That could be what they are talking about.

12 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s like spending a future 2nd (reluctantly) and late picks on a player in a position that important doesn’t guarantee him a starting spot. We just spent a decent amount of money on Erving telling him he can compete for LT, so do we not draft one now because we have to build a complete team and have other needs? I mean if we traded for Watson (before legal trouble) or Rodgers then yeah I would be against drafting a QB in the first, but it is Sam Darnold which makes the position still incomplete in my book...

You keep assuming Darnold is just a break glass in case of emergency type move. They very well may think he can be a franchise QB and are content.

11 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

So if we can’t get a LT at pick 8 we can’t address it at all? This happens to be a very deep draft for that position. Fields at 8 and Radunz at 39. Our line was middle of the pack last year with Teddy in the pocket. Darnold and Fields can avoid pressure better than Teddy plus throw in a player like Radunz at LT and your line isn’t terrible. We can even draft another G in the 3rd. 
What happens if Sewell and Slater are gone before 8? 

Do you think Murray had an elite line in Arizona when he was drafted? Herbert had the worst in the league. The line is very important, but it doesn’t triumph the importance of finding the right guy to play QB. I don’t understand the whole we can’t draft a QB until we have a top line in the league issue. 

You're also assuming a good or decent tackle will be available at 39. There could be a run on tackles in the late first and before the Panthers pick in the second. If all those guys starter type guys are gone, then what? Whine and moan all season as whoever is QB gets hammered repeatedly?

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

But we at least had a SB appearance with a FA Tackle, Matt Moore and Clausen had Gross, and did nothing. It will always START and end with the QB in this era. 

You can't hide behind a top defense, and ball control, because eventually you will run into ta team that can score. Look at all the playoff teams the last few years, they all have THEIR QB. 

If you guys are sold on Sam Darnold you're in for some disappointment. We don't have an answer at QB yet. We will have cap to pay a FA LT moving forward, and this years class is deep there. 

Use your head. 

Only Marty thought Clausen was a starter. Nobody really thought Moore was a starter either. Reports even said he tried to trade up into the first to take Clausen, but the other GMs saved Marty from himself. Clausen and Moore also didn't have a good coaching staff. Fox and Co were checked out and on cruise control in his lame duck season.

The playoff teams also have pretty good lines, which the Panthers don't. Depending on how the staff feels about Darnold, they may think they have their QB despite what you think.

Edited by jayboogieman