• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting quote on Sam Darnold from the Athletic article grading all QB’s in this draft class

WarPanthers89

At this point, I can't be mad or upset about the Darnold trade. I'm just waiting to see what transpires and hope for the best. Unless I just want to be overly negative, or blissfully blind, I have to at least acknowledge that Darnold at least has a shot at being just as good as an prospect in the 2021 draft. The difference is that with him at least we kinda already know what his floor is as a pro due to him being with a perennial bottom feedeer in the Jets, but we can still be fairly certain that he hasn't yet reached his ceiling because the Jets had a revolving door on the coaching level and ineffective talent during a young and inexperienced Sam's tenure there. 

We're just going to have to wait and see what happens. I think there's a reason to be hopeful and as intrigued with Sam, as with both TLs, Wilson or Fields though, because amid all the hype are still the regular question marks. 

Edited by top dawg

On 4/24/2021 at 7:53 AM, CPsinceDay1 said:

Only thing going for the kid,he is young. 

If Belichick was his coach he would still throw more picks than TDs like he did last year. 

I really don't think so. Would he have made bad decisions? Sure, his tendency to look panicked and force the ball into some questionable situations is well documented; even coming out of college. Also documented is the fact that he has the physical talent to succeed IF he can settle down and make better decisions. The only question I have is whether Rhule/Brady/Ryan can coach his natural tendencies and 3 years of terrible coaching out of him. Who the fug knows? If we put an O-line in front of him, I do think that he is in a perfect place to succeed.

• Pie 2

On 4/24/2021 at 12:12 PM, clvclv said:

A question I haven't seen anyone dive into particularly deeply...

One of the biggest concerns with Darnold has been protection - so he actually has time that he never had in New York. There seems to be plenty of WR/TE/CBs available later in this draft, would anyone consider going Darrisaw in the first (assuming he's the highest available T left) and following him up with Walker Little in the second?

I get that you'd have to be pretty well sold on Darnold to do something like that, but I've run through a ton of mock drafts, and the Panthers just seem to slot in a great place to substantially upgrade the OL for years to come while also scooping up a CB/TE/WR that falls a bit.

Darrisaw is my #3 LT, and my target IF we decide to trade back a few picks. I have absolutely no qualms about double dipping at tackle, but for rd 2, I'd go for one of the top right tackles, Jenkins or Mayfield, if they're available. That way, we can let Moton walk if he continues to play hardball with his long-term deal. I love Moton's play BTW, but business is business.

My preference is still CB at #39 though.

2 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Why can't I be hopeful that Darnold improves like people are being hopeful that guys like Wilson and Lance can produce for more than one season at low levels of competition?

You absolutely can be optimistic.  

I’m just a ‘leopard doesn’t change its spots’ person 

getting away from Gase, Tannehill improved enough to be good enough to displace Marriota and be their franchise Qb 

would he succeed everywhere, no but he is what he has always been and if I’m an owner, I want the best QB I can get for the money paid.    Others would be content.  Which do you think Tepper is? 

my thing with darnold, he has arm talent, but does he have the brain and more importantly,  the confidence and guts,  to pull the trigger for a winning drive consistently    I’m not sure 

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Is that you Adam Gaze?  It's funny that they don't identify who this genius Offensive Coach is.

He is a minority.  Most believe that given a good organization he'll be better.

People op posted aren’t also identifying themselves. They also didn’t give up any first round picks for him, so everything they said is hearsay 

11 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

You absolutely can be optimistic.  

I’m just a ‘leopard doesn’t change its spots’ person 

getting away from Gase, Tannehill improved enough to be good enough to displace Marriota and be their franchise Qb 

would he succeed everywhere, no but he is what he has always been and if I’m an owner, I want the best QB I can get for the money paid.    Others would be content.  Which do you think Tepper is? 

my thing with darnold, he has arm talent, but does he have the brain and more importantly,  the confidence and guts,  to pull the trigger for a winning drive consistently    I’m not sure 

yeah i've been watching Darnold alot here lately 3 to 4 hours a day this past week since I feel he will be the Panthers starting QB this upcoming season.& what I've seen is that  the majority of the mistakes he makes cannot in FACT be attributed to talent,  poor coaching or lack of protection but instead his ability or let's say inability to process.

19 minutes ago, bandu said:

yeah i've been watching Darnold alot here lately 3 to 4 hours a day this past week since I feel he will be the Panthers starting QB this upcoming season.& what I've seen is that  the majority of the mistakes he makes cannot in FACT be attributed to talent,  poor coaching or lack of protection but instead his ability or let's say inability to process.

Sure buddy

4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

We traded the equivalent of our 3rd round pick this year for Darnold. 

If you're desperate to physically get back those 2nd, 4th and 6th round picks you can EASILY do that by trading down a few spots in this Draft. 

You know what's fun. In a week from now the 'we traded the equivalent' dumb dumb narrative gets to be thrown out, because it will officially be draft pick relevant for the current season.

Also stop downplaying it. It was 3 picks + millions of cap + as soon as the draft is over tens of millions more committed the next season with this 5th year option.

This is so funny watching people twist themselves into pretzel to devaluate the assets traded.

• Poo 1

15 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

One of those garbage guys was a starting WR for us last year and will be again this year. He's pretty good too.

Hmmm Robbie Anderson vs Mike Evens,Deshaun Watson,Chris Godwin, Adam Humphries, and O.J. Howard. Yeah what was I thinking...

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, bandu said:

Care to post links to the "3 to 4 hours a day" of film you've been watching this past week? 😆

Seriously dude, if you're gonna lie to try and look smart, at least try and post something that isn't obviously absolute bullsh-t.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Care to post links to the "3 to 4 hours a day" of film you've been watching this past week? 😆

Seriously dude, if you're gonna lie to try and look smart, at least try and post something that isn't obviously absolute bullsh-t.

lol