• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Sam Darnold a 1-Year Rental?

SizzleBuzz

4 minutes ago, Donald LaFell said:

One thing I don’t like is how our OC is projected to leave for a HC job next season. So where does that leave Darnold again? 

That depends on who would replace him.  And, of course, whether he actually does leave.  I don't think we saw anything out of him last year that would scream that he is the next can't-miss head coaching prospect.  If anything, I think we saw every indication he is a few years away.

But, assuming he does leave, if they find someone of with the same philosophy or look at promoting somebody from the current staff (Nixon or Lombardi would probably be two most likely candidates), it might be status quo for Darnold.....or Fields.....or whoever.

It is not ideal.  You like to see young QBs with continuity in who is developing them.  We have seen young QBs in places never get off "go" because it seemed like they had seven DCs or QB coaches in three years.

19 minutes ago, Verge said:

You don't pick up his option until after the draft. Need teams to believe you will take a QB. 

This.

it’s the same reason we haven’t picked up Moore’s.

Want to keep other teams in the dark on our move/plans

• Pie 1

Here is why it is stupid to do it now---if you are bluffing about a QB, you do not lock in Darnold yet when you can do it after the draft. 

If you take a QB, you do not want to be locked in.  There is no advantage to doing it before the draft.  None.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Donald LaFell said:

One thing I don’t like is how our OC is projected to leave for a HC job next season. So where does that leave Darnold again? 

With a new OC.  Probably Sean Ryan, the current QB coach but that is just a guess on my part.  

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

new browns. stop the bleeding. cut him and teddy. trade back. go 0-17. draft whoever. then do it again the year after and the year after. b/c it's already leaning that direction under tepper.

You know you can’t be honest around here. Just wait until how miserable this place gets what’s the season starts. 

• Poo 1