• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Niners confirm the smokescreen

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, because Ohio State at Clemson did not have that.  Yet Jones won the national title, completed nearly 80% of his passes (Waddle injured), and averaged 350 yards a game--all higher than Fields and Lawrence. 

But your stats are good too.  You make a compelling argument.

I don’t even think Stidham had much NFL talent around him on offense at Auburn? Burrow would have made more sense, but he looks good in the NFL.

36 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That's not a high mark to hit. The ACC only fielded one P5 caliber program last year and that was Clemson.

Most of the league would have struggled against Coastal Carolina or App St.

Edit: Maybe Miami.

How many did the SEC field then, 3?

46 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The "better than everyone else" dart could be lobbed at just about everyone but Wilson. Lawrence, Fields, Jones and Lance all had star studded teams. 

But to be fair, Wilson had Brady “Stonewall” Christensen - greatest LT in the history of college football and future NFL first ballot HOFer!!

• Flames 1

Lawrence was one, Wilson was two.  What would they need a smokescreen for?  Getting some team to trade up to 4?  

I don't buy the smokescreen theory.  There would have been no need to create one because there would have been no one for them to trade up to in front of them for Lance.

IMO they initially thought Jones was their man but later determined that Lance was too good to pass up. 

• Beer 2

My only guess would be concerns about a team trading with the Jets or the Jets considering Lance once they realized how badly the Niners wanted him? I know at one point the Jets were considering trading the pick and keeping Darnold, not sure if the timing aligns with the “smokescreen” or not.

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I'm saying those rankings were pretty laughable since most of the conferences played in conference only(or pretty close). 

If you want proof of that, reference the 0-6 ACC bowl record. So, we basically finished the same way that Conference USA did. 0-6.

Frankly, even Clemson was probably a little bit of a paper tiger.

Lol, three of those losses were to the #1 ranked and eventual NC, #3 ranked and #5 ranked. 

59 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

How many did the SEC field then, 3?

The SEC fared pretty well OOC during bowl season. I don't know if they were the strongest conference but they did go 3-0 versus the ACC. 

I would imagine that the traditional ACC vs. SEC seasonal matchups would likely have been similarly tilted.

The ACC just wasn't good last year versus a couple of seasons ago when we were very clearly the best conference.

Edited by kungfoodude