• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen’s grade per the Panthers

ncfan

22 minutes ago, top dawg said:

"Crappier players..."?

Everything is not so cut-and-dried in the NFL. Some of these players will likely outplay those whose career begins with greater expectations.

Agreed.  Christiansen will probably outshine Little at LT or Guard...and to do that, all he has to do is play.

• Flames 1

10 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Noted that Rhule said "Sewell, because he's an LT" when he wrote his name on the board. He didn't throw in extra justification like that for the other names. Tells me they weren't in love with him but knew they had no choice if the top LT fell.

Go back and listen to the video again. Rhule's says "because he's an Offensive lineman". He's doesn't say Tackle.

image.png.f412e321fa764ad4a7558ba299d5af4b.png

32 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Go back and listen to the video again. Rhule's says "because he's an Offensive lineman". He's doesn't say Tackle.

My bad but the point stands. Whole room already knows Sewell is an offensive lineman, why toss that in? He's defending writing him first and he wouldn't do that if they were sold on picking him at #8.

It actually makes me feel better about picking Horn. They did their research and chose a guy who wasn't the consensus BPA. They knew they had to pick Sewell if he was there but they weren't in love with him.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, MechaZain said:

My bad but the point stands. Whole room already knows Sewell is an offensive lineman, why toss that in? He's defending writing him first and he wouldn't do that if they were sold on picking him at #8.

It actually makes me feel better about picking Horn. They did their research and chose a guy who wasn't the consensus BPA. They knew they had to pick Sewell if he was there but they weren't in love with him.

Jesus Christ dude

7 hours ago, MechaZain said:

8 hours ago, trueblade said:

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Jesus Christ dude

I just seen where the loins have place Sewell at right with intent of keeping him there at least this year. Sewell said its a huge deal and has to re-learn everything. I still wanted him, but I learned long ago.......your 2nd 3rd pick has a better career than your 1st want plenty times. 

On 5/27/2021 at 3:30 PM, kungfoodude said:

I am guessing that means they didn't like any of the OT options in the draft, outside maybe Sewell. 

I do wonder why we chose him as opposed to getting a much more highly regarded OG in the 2nd. Perhaps they didn't have high grades on many OG's either.

Because if you haven’t noticed by now we like to have players who are versatile. Just look at most of the players we have drafted and signed and you noticed 90% of them can play multiple positions. The coaching staff really likes this and I understand why.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Because if you haven’t noticed by now we like to have players who are versatile. Just look at most of the players we have drafted and signed and you noticed 90% of them can play multiple positions. The coaching staff really likes this and I understand why.

I understand the thought process but I don't know that I agree that high caliber players that aren't as versatile are less valuable than lower caliber players that are more versatile. If I have an elite LT that can play LT at an elite level, RT at an average level and basically nowhere else, I would rather have that than a LT that is average, a good OG and an average RT. 

I think the versatility is very valuable for your depth guys because it helps you plug in when starters get injured. But, we signed a guy like Eflein who has played a bunch of positions in the NFL but never been more than average at them, I don't view that as particularly more valuable than just simply getting a good LG or RG.

I don't really understand the Christensen pick because nothing about him strikes me as being able to be much more than an average LT in the NFL. However, if he proves to be an elite/very good player at another position, that is all that matters.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:34 PM, Mr. Scot said:

I actually think it's kind of interesting that they're grading players at more than one position.

I wonder if that's been done in Carolina before.

Hurney graded players at positions they’ve never even played before 

• Flames 6

15 minutes ago, hepcat said:

When you say this out loud you realize just how preposterous this statement is.  Not only did he grade players at positions they never played before he traded up to get said players.  Unreal.  

Conspiracy theory:  I think Hurndog knew about Jerrys weird habits and when Danny Morrison and Gettleman raised some eyebrows Jerry knew he could let Hurney run the show without any push back.  Crazy conspiracy sure but how else do you explain 2 tenures of hurney with the exact same results?

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, hepcat said:

That is sort of why some of the long term Panthers fans are taking a skeptical stance on the franchise at the moment. In 27 years we have seen a lot of different thought processes come through that front office and coach on the field. Very few of them have netted more than mediocre to bad results. Like @Sgt Schultz said yesterday, there is a lot of Stockholm Syndrome built into the long tenured fans. 

For every positive aspect of Rhule, his staff and our new GM there are also these obvious red flags. Like the outside the box drafting. It isn't like we haven't seen that before, it's just that it didn't work. Frankly, when we have eschewed conventional wisdom previously, the results have been poor. 

I am taking a wait and see approach with a healthy sense of skepticism. I want to believe in these guys, they have a lot of the attitudes we have been begging for as fans. I just want to see some signs that we finally have the makings of stability and sustained success and not yet another flash in the pan college coach that just couldn't make the leap. 

I think 2021 is going to go a long way towards making fan believe or sowing doubt and mistrust.