• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Minicamp news and notes

BurnNChinn

I was watching the press conferences on YouTube and all I could hear was the writers asking questions. It appeared that the mic was not working on the players.  I had to turn it up loud just to hear them but when the writers asked the question it about blew my speakers on my TV.  

Is to YouTube or were the mics not working properly?

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I was watching the press conferences on YouTube and all I could hear was the writers asking questions. It appeared that the mic was not working on the players.  I had to turn it up loud just to hear them but when the writers asked the question it about blew my speakers on my TV.  

Is to YouTube or were the mics not working properly?

Mics weren't working.  I had to keep turning volume up and down.

16 hours ago, SBBlue said:

Do you feel like you go to camp as the front runner at left tackle?"

"Yes sir."

That is the only acceptable answer from any athlete. I love the attitude.

He's not going to say that he expects get beat out by a UDFA that we picked up off waivers last year or a rookie. 

21 hours ago, rmoneyg35 said:

It’s practice and it’s raining. 

Of course, I don't discount that.

All I'm saying is that none of these guys are "sure things." People want to sell the farm because "if you don't have a QB you don't have anything." Yet at the same time we give Darnold a pass because "the Jets had nothing." 

Well if you sell the farm for every QB that you can swing for the fences at, you end up being like the Jets and "Darnolding" your QB. And even with more than nothing, QBs are hard to judge if they'll succeed or not no matter how highly drafted.

There is a happy balance between patience and zeal.

• Beer 2

12 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

Of course, I don't discount that.

All I'm saying is that none of these guys are "sure things." People want to sell the farm because "if you don't have a QB you don't have anything." Yet at the same time we give Darnold a pass because "the Jets had nothing." 

Well if you sell the farm for every QB that you can swing for the fences at, you end up being like the Jets and "Darnolding" your QB. And even with more than nothing, QBs are hard to judge if they'll succeed or not no matter how highly drafted.

People just don't use critical thinking often, especially fans. 

Darnold is a proven bust QB that we are trying to unfug from being in a fuged up situation.

These rookie QB's or unproven players like Tua are just raw material that isn't final form. Could be the Michelangelo, could be a turd, could be somewhere in between.

And all that isn't even accounting for the factors that are hard to surmise. Nature/nurture? Are they not successful because they don't have things around them or are the situations around then not successful BECAUSE of them? What part of that scale do they fall on?

It takes years to answer that question, sometimes. Even then it might not be completely clear.

• Pie 2

50 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

All I'm saying is that none of these guys are "sure things."

Yep.

People want to sell the farm because "if you don't have a QB you don't have anything."

I think Rhule agrees with you which is why we gave away just a future 2nd and 4th and this years 6th.  We recouped this years 6 in the Teddy trade.   Conventional logic says future picks are the equiv of subtracting a round, so a 2nd next year is the same as a 3 rd this year.  Matt and Fitt felt by trading down and adding 3rd and 4th round picks we've already recouped the total cost of Darnold.  That's debatable, but its better than the Jets who gave up the 6, 37, 52, 169 and the following year 34 to move up 3 spots to get Darnold in 2018.

Well if you sell the farm for every QB that you can swing for the fences at, you end up being like the Jets and "Darnolding" your QB.

I think by giving away all that draft capital, combined with already sucking, combined with picking poorly with your subsequent picks, and then hiring Gase, I think a more accurate picture would be, the GM "Jetted" Darnold rather than the jets "Darnolded" their QB.

When Darnold left, they had none of their 1st round draft picks on their team.   Darron Lee, Calvin Pryor, Dee Milliner aren't even in the NFL anymore.

Sam Darnold added to a long list of former first-round picks let go by the Jets | KJZ - YouTube

Yet at the same time we give Darnold a pass because "the Jets had nothing." 

We're giving him a fresh look to see how much of the stink was on him and how much was on the jets.    I want him to do well and want people to give him a chance.

Agreed.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1

19 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think fluff is what you have to kind of expect from the team. They aren't going to put out stuff that is going to seed discord amongst the fans nor things that will give a lot away to opponents. 

Fluff should really be the expectation.

All valid. The social media team is definitely making an effort to control the narrative coming out of camp. I got no problem with it but maybe I'm just nostalgic for the old days of camp updates on the huddle.