• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns - best young edge in the league

Zod

7 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Only edge I see better under 25 is Chase Young/Nick Bosa and its very close. Burns is a FREAK and my biggest draft crush of all time. I too thought he was/should have gone 4 to the Raiders...

Those guys are a little different because they are size/speed freaks. 

Either way, I am happy to have Spiderman on the team.

4 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Burns' size was a legit concern. Dude is LEAN as all hell for a DE. Has the length and the strength but there were concerns that he wouldn't be able to put on weight/keep it up in the NFL.

I remember him being in the 225-235 lbs range but it blew my mind people thought he couldn't bulk up on that 6'5" frame. Burns was just starting to scrape his potential at FSU and growing into his frame. He had bend, speed, youth and growth potential. Ferrell to me had almost maxed out and even then underperformed considering the wealth of talent on that defensive line at Clemson. 

How old is Myles Garrett?

And Chase Young is definitely better.

Burns really needs to step up. 

10 sacks a season should be his floor and we should expect 14 to 16 a year out of him. 

He needs to start converting these pressures. He definitely missed several tackles on QBs last year.

• Poo 1

5 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

[Sad face/pets rookie card]

"I understand that you little guys start out with your woobies and you think they're great... and they are, they are terrific. But pretty soon, a woobie isn't enough. You're out on the street trying to score an electric blanket, or maybe a quilt. And the next thing you know, you're strung out on bedspreads. That's serious."

Image result for mr mom time to let your woobie go

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Catsfan69 said:

10 sacks a season should be his floor and we should expect 14 to 16 a year out of him. 

He needs to start converting these pressures. He definitely missed several tackles on QBs last year.

About to be 26... I would take him over Burns as well. But the only 3 young guys I see that are better are Chase Young, Nick Bosa and Garrett, but its extremely close and none of them have Burns's bend or speed. He just lacks power as of now. Id put him on the same level as them though. Stud!

6 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

I remember Sweat being the talk of the town for a minute.  Don’t think I was on board but I can’t remember that far back.

Sweat tested off the charts at the combine that year. I wanted him too. He had a crazy 40 time and was 10-15 lbs bigger than Burns, who was kind of light as a DE. Burns' output has been a pleasant surprise for me. He has an elite "get-off" that Sweat (and most others) do not.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Catsfan69 said:

You are in a thread called "Brian Burns-best young edge in the league." And you think he needs to "Step up"?

Maybe we should ask opposing QBs to hold on to the ball for another 1/2 second if they would? That might improve his stat count. Or maybe improve the Secondary, to give BB the extra time he needs to get to the QB? 

I''m sure if we put our minds to it, we can work something out to get him over that last hurdle into greatness.

• Flames 2

7 hours ago, ncfan said:

“BuT hE’s a UnDeRsIzEd De With a spin move from Florida State.”  

“He’s Everett Brown 2.0”

”should’ve drafted Andre Dillard instead.”

ah the memories of draft night. And leading up to that draft.

I was excited about the pick from the start because this dude just oozed insane pass rushing talent, but those were some fair concerns at the time. Of course they look stupid now.

Also, while this is a nice stat with the pressures, it's just one stat. He's definitely one of the best young pass rushers in the league but I wouldn't call him the best yet just based off of having the most pressures. He still needs to work on finishing up those pressures with more sacks.

Edited by t96