• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Training Camp - Tuesday Thread

Icege

17 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I'm not gonna lie...  I'm not as down on our OL as many are.  I don't think they'll be worldbeaters by any means, but I think the talent level id as high as its been in years.  That being said, I'm growing concerned with how it is being handled.  The non-committal approach to LT, and having Moton taken snaps over there throughout camp, even when everyone was healthy, then having him at RT, then back at LT, then shuffling other guys around like Elflein and Tecklenberg...  it's kind of like the old cliche about QBs - if you have two, then you have none.

It seems like they're trying to come up with contingency plans if someone gets hurt or what have you, when our biggest issue is having an actual solidified starting 5.

I ASSUME that Erving is the LT, but if (almost said when, knock on wood) he goes down with an injury, Moton slides over and Scott plays RT. I originally thought Moton would stay put and Scott would be backup LT. He held his own there last year. Jeez, I can't wait to see what happens Sunday.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, Icege said:

COVID forced the cancelation of all on-field work during the offseason last year.

Yeah, so we practiced it this year in minicamp and OTAs in a addition to training camp.    Without some of that stuff last year, we couldn't practice anything preseason.  Teddy's interview was about during the season stuff anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeOKQAv5NmU

28 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Yeah, so we practiced it this year in minicamp and OTAs in a addition to training camp.    Without some of that stuff last year, we couldn't practice anything preseason.  Teddy's interview was about during the season stuff anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeOKQAv5NmU

Ah, you're referring to this year. Gotcha.

I was referring to the comments made by Bridgewater about the lack of practicing 2min/RZ. There was doubt on the board regarding that (despite former NFL players themselves voicing shock at the way it was approached in practice when given details), but it looks like the staff did some reflecting and are tackling the issue head on. Really, really happy to see them not putting their egos first and instead striving to improve.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

It seems like they're trying to come up with contingency plans if someone gets hurt or what have you, when our biggest issue is having an actual solidified starting 5.

Everyone acts like we have a division 3 offensive line but statistically the O-line was average last year and I don’t think they got any worse this off-season.

I think they’ll have a solid idea of the starting five after the second preseason game. Till then I think they’re giving everyone reps for, as you said, contingency plans.

Which I’m not mad at given that nature of football.

I think next off-season is when they’ll be able to allocate the resources to inject talent to the line.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

I recall similar reasonings about the state of the offensive line this time of year in the past as well. Now is the best time to paint a rosey picture of the situation. It's really all about the depth. But some of our depth have injury history and some are already banged up. It surprises me how little is mentioned of the length of the season now in the context of the health and longevity of our oline. That is what could change a manageable situation into catastrophe.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I'm not gonna lie...  I'm not as down on our OL as many are.  I don't think they'll be worldbeaters by any means, but I think the talent level is as high as it's been in years.  That being said, I'm growing concerned with how it is being handled.  The non-committal approach to LT, and having had Moton taken snaps over there throughout camp, even when everyone was healthy, then having him at RT, then back at LT, then shuffling other guys around like Elflein and Tecklenberg...  it's kind of like the old cliche about QBs - if you have two, then you have none.

24 minutes ago, Jorgie said:

Everyone acts like we have a division 3 offensive line but statistically the O-line was average last year and I don’t think they got any worse this off-season.

I think they’ll have a solid idea of the starting five after the second preseason game. Till then I think they’re giving everyone reps for, as you said, contingency plans.

I think next off-season is when they’ll be able to allocate the resources to inject talent to the line.

I agree.  Everyone's worried about Darnold in pass pro, but the O is designed for fast throws.  Bucs and Saints do the same thing.  Our pass pro pressure % was top 10 in the league last year.  

We should be worried about the run game.  Our YBC was 25th and the run d's we face are tough.  Bucs(#1) x2, Saints (#5) x2, Jets (#7), Giants(#8),WFT(#10),Eagle(#11), Atlanta(#15)x2 

We do not do well against teams that kill our run game.  jets sucked at everything except stopping the run last year.   

Erving and Elflein score MUCH higher in run grade blocking than pass pro.  Its pass pro that kills their overall pff scores.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

49 minutes ago, Jorgie said:

Staying healthy on the oline is the most important parts. Every time we get into playoffs they talk about the good olines and say they only had like one different line up all year. I agree they got no worse than last year, so I expect them to be fine if healthy.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

10 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Staying healthy on the oline is the most important parts. Every time we get into playoffs they talk about the good olines and say they only had like one different line up all year. I agree they got no worse than last year, so I expect them to be fine if healthy.

For some reason, folks just are not going to be patient and wait for this rebuild to be done. They want it now. Which unfortunately, is the presiding sentiment in America today.

2 years ago: (5-11)

1. We had, arguably, the worst D in the league.

2. We struggled to score points.

3. There was nary a whisper of Playoffs.

1 year later: (TBD)

1. There is talk of a top 10 D.

2. This team is gonna score some points.

3. There is talk of Playoffs.

IMO, that is one hellofa turn around. And a great reason for optimism.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

2 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

I ASSUME that Erving is the LT, but if (almost said when, knock on wood) he goes down with an injury, Moton slides over and Scott plays RT. I originally thought Moton would stay put and Scott would be backup LT. He held his own there last year. Jeez, I can't wait to see what happens Sunday.

Seems like Moton is the swing tackle, just happens to start.

Some teams will have OT3 be the swing tackle for RT and LT.

Based on how they seem to be moving Moton around in camp they will just let him be the back up LT and OT3 can fill in at RT.

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Seems like Moton is the swing tackle, just happens to start.

LOL

Scott and Erving swing too.  Really  BC  played left in college and is practicing RT now, so he swings too.   So all 4 tackles can play either side in a pinch.   

I don't think that is an accident.

• Beer 1