• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Gross-Matos

Tommy Jone

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Hardy took 3 as well, its simple really- Just constantly beat a 6'5 330 LB man-beast within 2.5 seconds and you too can start on the edge for a NFL team...........................................

I have never cared about who starts on the DL. its always the snaps, impact, and havoc 

For what its worth, I seen more than once Fox coaching up YGM off to the side in one-on-one drills. I can not coach up my replacement, it would be hard case for me to agree to. I still have high hopes for YGM, hes the next great panther DL member. I got him him as a better Mike Rucker.

Best case. Kick Off, and your D forces a 3 and out. That is why you have starters. To start the game with your best. Hopefully set the tone for the entire game.

Yeah, it's funny. Some players will help anyone, even their back-up. Some guys won't. I'd be willing to bet, there are not a lot of won'ts on this team.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Best case. Kick Off, and your D forces a 3 and out. That is why you have starters. To start the game with your best. Hopefully set the tone for the entire game.

Yeah, it's funny. Some players will help anyone, even their back-up. Some guys won't. I'd be willing to bet, there are not a lot of won'ts on this team.

Im a matchup guy. If Im playing the Titans, my heavy run DL is starting. Playing KC my nascar crew is starting etc. 

I was real impressed with Fox doing that with YGM, hes taking the coaching role and doesnt have too. Its much better if the whole team follows that, but thats my money youre playing with.....if my future is coaching.....i want that to be the longest time til then.....but I totally get it....I just dont have that in me..

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

Hardy took 3 as well, its simple really- Just constantly beat a 6'5 330 LB man-beast within 2.5 seconds and you too can start on the edge for a NFL team...........................................

I have never cared about who starts on the DL. its always the snaps, impact, and havoc 

For what its worth, I seen more than once Fox coaching up YGM off to the side in one-on-one drills. I can not coach up my replacement, it would be hard case for me to agree to. I still have high hopes for YGM, hes the next great panther DL member. I got him him as a better Mike Rucker.

Hardy really took a season. He started 16 games his second year. If you only mean double digit sack production, then yes. But even the elite guys rarely get double digit sacks as a rookie. 

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Hardy really took a season. He started 16 games his second year. If you only mean double digit sack production, then yes. But even the elite guys rarely get double digit sacks as a rookie. 

I meant to become a legit NFL end. Before the rule changes WR was the same 3 yrs. I think one of the best rule for fans is patience. NFL is a real life meat ginder, only the first 10-15 or so picks should be thought of as 1st year starters. Best QB in the world was on the bench year 1, another top 3 former MVP still top 3 QB  was on the pine for his first 3(maybe 4?).

Plus one of my rules is I never judge rookie class til the 2nd full-offseason. *I will judge if they are cut or 1st/2nd all-pro

Im also 99% sure YGM would have be a 1st rounder in this past draft, probability the first DE taken as well. I think he will have have a great PS games and follow it with a solid season as well. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

32 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I meant to become a legit NFL end. Before the rule changes WR was the same 3 yrs. I think one of the best rule for fans is patience. NFL is a real life meat ginder, only the first 10-15 or so picks should be thought of as 1st year starters. Best QB in the world was on the bench year 1, another top 3 former MVP still top 3 QB  was on the pine for his first 3(maybe 4?).

Plus one of my rules is I never judge rookie class til the 2nd full-offseason. *I will judge if they are cut or 1st/2nd all-pro

Im also 99% sure YGM would have be a 1st rounder in this past draft, probability the first DE taken as well. I think he will have have a great PS games and follow it with a solid season as well. 

Yeah but what do you mean "become a legit NFL end?" That seems pretty subjective. By that definition, why wouldn't being a full time starter in year two be a "legit NFL end?"

I am not preaching anti-patience. I was just confused why you used Hardy as an example as not being...."legit" until year three. The biggest thing that changed in year 3 was double digit sacks production.

I agree, most rookies aren't going to be impact players initially. Sometimes starting as a rookie may even say more about your team than the player. Look at Troy Pride Jr. He probably had no business getting the PT he did but our secondary was pretty thin. So, even then there is a little nuance to each situation. I don't think there are hard rules about which position will mature at what rate.

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

Im a matchup guy. If Im playing the Titans, my heavy run DL is starting. Playing KC my nascar crew is starting etc. 

I was real impressed with Fox doing that with YGM, hes taking the coaching role and doesnt have too. Its much better if the whole team follows that, but thats my money youre playing with.....if my future is coaching.....i want that to be the longest time til then.....but I totally get it....I just dont have that in me..

Ok, let me amend that. Best case. Kick Off, put your best D on the field. Hope for a 3 and out. Heck of a way to not only start the game, but set the tone as well.

Me first guys are probably bad Coaches, so maybe those guys not mentoring the kids is a good thing. lol The "I'm not going to help that guy take my job" syndrome.

I bet this team has a bunch of team first guys. Nothing to go on. Just a feeling these guys genuinely like each other.

YGM showed some flashes last year and that’s what you want to see from a rookie. Next season I hope he gets some starts and shows more flashes. Then in his third year I’d expect him to be starting. Right now I think he’s right on pace. It’s Burns’s third year and look what people are expecting from him. He might be in contention for DPOY at some points next season. 

6 hours ago, hepcat said:

YGM showed some flashes last year and that’s what you want to see from a rookie. Next season I hope he gets some starts and shows more flashes. Then in his third year I’d expect him to be starting. Right now I think he’s right on pace. It’s Burns’s third year and look what people are expecting from him. He might be in contention for DPOY at some points next season. 

A couple of things.  This to start^

It's kind of hard for DE's to get much notoriety in camp because the QB is dressed in Red.  We hear about the "it would have been a sack" now and then but mostly we hear "great pass but he would have been sacked in a real game".

YGM played well for a rookie last year and I see no reason why he won't continue to grow.

That said when you bring in a free agent you expect him to start.  Fox and Burns as well as Riddick are going to cause havoc.  This will be a great year for YGM because he has good talent in front of him and can continue to learn and grow.  

2022 it will be Burns and YGM. 

12 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but what do you mean "become a legit NFL end?" That seems pretty subjective. By that definition, why wouldn't being a full time starter in year two be a "legit NFL end?"

I am not preaching anti-patience. I was just confused why you used Hardy as an example as not being...."legit" until year three. The biggest thing that changed in year 3 was double digit sacks production.

I agree, most rookies aren't going to be impact players initially. Sometimes starting as a rookie may even say more about your team than the player. Look at Troy Pride Jr. He probably had no business getting the PT he did but our secondary was pretty thin. So, even then there is a little nuance to each situation. I don't think there are hard rules about which position will mature at what rate.

I think he may mean equally as effective in the run game and pass game, while also being able to drop into coverage on occasion...maybe "starter" is the incorrect word, effective starter is probably better.

Peppers was able to do that year 1, Bosa's, etc....are able...but those guys are few and far between.

I wouldn't expect double digit sacks from any DE until year 3, and even then it's a tall order to "expect".

Either way, I hope he gets a lot of snaps this season, and continues to grow.  If we can have him playing at a high level in year 3 and 4 at DE, that's a huge bargain for the team.

• Beer 1

22 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Young promising player. That is what I make of him. I expect him to be significant part of the rotation.

Agreed. I see Fox moving inside on passing plays. That's the way he was used last year when he had 6 sacks, 8 TFL, and 9 QB hits. When he moves inside, YGM takes his spot on the end. This isn't a knock on YGM, but Fox outplayed him last year, and we were lucky to land him on a 2 year / $8M deal. The way the D-line rotates, there will be plenty of snaps for everyone.

• Beer 1