• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Darnold "coddled" ?

TheBigKat

6 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Finding out that you aren’t good enough on a national stage probably isn’t fun, regardless of the price tag.

Being called a failure and washed up sucks at any age, but I suppose it would be pretty humiliating at 24. 

I’m sure it’s nice to not have to worry about money, but I’d bet most pros take little solace in that when facing failure. 

I imagine I'd find a way to manage.

crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't know if he's being coddled or not. I simply said Rhule said that Darnold was "basically a rookie" and he's clearly not being treated as such.

Yeah. He’s not actually a rookie. He’s played in the NFL for three years. That doesn’t mean they plan on evaluating him the same as Teddy. That doesn’t mean they won’t work with him in practice like a rookie that’s never had a QB coach. That doesn’t mean they might simplify the playbook a bit more as they bring him along. 

But he’s started a lot of NFL games. Maybe you are taking the statement a bit too literally? Do you think CMC and DJ are treating him like a rookie in camp or like a vet? Do you think when Rhule said he was like a rookie he meant Darnold has very little NFL experience or do you think he meant ww would work with him like we would a rookie QB come training camp? 

Obviously Rhule knows Darnold doesn’t have to adjust to the speed of the game in the NFL. He’s been a starter for three years. So obviously when he says “he’s like a rookie” he means the approach to development in camp. I just don’t understand the absolute disgust for him. I swear, despite what some say on here, there is a section of this fanbase hoping he fails. 

Should point out I’m not saying you are one such person. But there is definitely a group here that is in this camp. And it’s beyond me.

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Pie 4

1 hour ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Yeah. He’s not actually a rookie. He’s played in the NFL for three years. That doesn’t mean they plan on evaluating him the same as Teddy. That doesn’t mean they won’t work with him in practice like a rookie that’s never had a QB coach. That doesn’t mean they might simplify the playbook a bit more as they bring him along. 

But he’s started a lot of NFL games. Maybe you are taking the statement a bit too literally? Do you think CMC and DJ are treating him like a rookie in camp or like a vet? Do you think when Rhule said he was like a rookie he meant Darnold has very little NFL experience or do you think he meant ww would work with him like we would a rookie QB come training camp? 

Obviously Rhule knows Darnold doesn’t have to adjust to the speed of the game in the NFL. He’s been a starter for three years. So obviously when he says “he’s like a rookie” he means the approach to development in camp. I just don’t understand the absolute disgust for him. I swear, despite what some say on here, there is a section of this fanbase hoping he fails. 

Should point out I’m not saying you are one such person. But there is definitely a group here that is in this camp. And it’s beyond me.

Show me another young QB who has struggled and needs significant development who is healthy and basically not playing in the preseason.

• Beer 1

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Show me another young QB who has struggled and needs significant development who is healthy and basically not playing in the preseason.

Well there aren't a lot of comparable young QBs in this situation, but sure. 

Jared Goff. On a new team and has struggled. Did not play this week.

Daniel Jones. Did not play this week. Did not play in either preseason game. 

Derek Carr. Did not play this week. In fact has not played at all in first two preseason games. 

Baker Mayfield. Has not taken a snap this preseason. 

Joe Burrow. Yes he is returning from injury but is practicing and has not played this preseason. 

Maybe some coaches just feel like risking their starting QB isn't worth it in preseason and they can get valuable reps in practice. Maybe Darnold gets enough reps from joint practices and some snaps in preseason week 3 and the coaches are just good with that. Or maybe coddling QBs like Darnold, Goff, Jones, Carr etc is just the cool thing to do now. Who knows?

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3

8 minutes ago, ickmule said:

Gonna be some upset people around here once we see just how average, at best, Darnold is.  

If he is average, he is average. If he goes out and plays the full preseason game and throws 5 TD passes it still would not mean poo when the regular season comes. 

We are not going to find out if he is our franchise QB in a preseason game going up against 2s and 3s. If he is that's great we got a steal, if he is not hopefully he sucks enough for us to have a shot at one next off season. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

30 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

If he is average, he is average. If he goes out and plays the full preseason game and throws 5 TD passes it still would not mean poo when the regular season comes. 

We are not going to find out if he is our franchise QB in a preseason game going up against 2s and 3s. If he is that's great we got a steal, if he is not hopefully he sucks enough for us to have a shot at one next off season. 

Average would honestly be a big step up. If they have him ranked 15-17 of the starting QBs this year I would say he is trending up…

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Derek Carr. Did not play this week. In fact has not played at all in first two preseason games. 

Joe Burrow. Yes he is returning from injury but is practicing and has not played this preseason. 

Maybe some coaches just feel like risking their starting QB isn't worth it in preseason and they can get valuable reps in practice. Maybe Darnold gets enough reps from joint practices and some snaps in preseason week 3 and the coaches are just good with that. Or maybe coddling QBs like Darnold, Goff, Jones, Carr etc is just the cool thing to do now. Who knows?

Yeah, well, show me another young ginger QB from Orange County who has struggled and needs significant development who is healthy and basically not playing in the preseason.

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

If memory serves me right, the last time a Panthers QB was coddled was Jake Delhomme in the 2009 offseason. Jake was coming off that remarkable playoff loss to the Cardinals in which he gifted the Cardinals defense 5 interceptions. Fox (if I’m recalling correctly) decided to move him along slowly during the preseason to help build some confidence in him. Then comes week 1 versus the Eagles, in which Jake continues to gift the opposing defense interceptions. If all the stars align, I can only imagine what we’d be talking about after Darnold loses to his former team week 1. 

8 hours ago, hepcat said:

I’m not sure where this rumor comes from but Darnold did have coaches around him on the Jets other than Adam Gase. He had Jeremy Bates his rookie year. Dowell Loggains in 2019 and 2020. Also of note, Jim Bob Cooter who had success with Matt Stafford in Detroit as the QB coach and offensive coordinator was the Jets RB coach. If he wasn’t working with Darnold at all, well I guess I wouldn’t be surprised since the Jets are idiots.

They're called the Jests for a reason!

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Burrow is a legit injury concern 

Carr is a multi time Pro Bowler 

Goff is a multi time Pro Bowler

Baker is coming off a playoff season. 

I don’t consider them Sam Darnold comps. 

but I’ll give you Daniel Jones.  He isn’t getting reps.  And his team has averaged 4 wins a season.  And Giants haven’t had a winning season closing in on a half decade.   

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

Burrow is a legit injury concern 

Carr is a multi time Pro Bowler 

Goff is a multi time Pro Bowler

Baker is coming off a playoff season. 

I don’t consider them Sam Darnold comps. 

but I’ll give you Daniel Jones.  He isn’t getting reps.  And his team has averaged 4 wins a season.  And hasn’t hadn’t a winning season closing in on a half decade.   

As I stated in that comp list. There really aren’t many situations akin to Darnold. There’s only 32 QBs in the league, it’s not like making collegiate comparisons. 

Still, while Goff has had some good seasons, he’s also struggled and is a young QB who the Rams decided to move on from whilst giving up a high draft pick (wasn’t it a 1st?) for a significantly older vet. Goff is now in a new system and not many have a lot of confidence in him. Honestly Goff to me is the most similar comparison although he’s clearly had a more successful career than Darnold so far.

And Burrow was hoping to play this weekend. I understand why he didn’t play because as you said, he’s an injury concern. But he’s still practicing and is probably able to get out there. 

Look, I’m not saying Darnold is the answer. I have never said that, yet it seems that I’m being lumped into this ‘blind homer’ camp simply for defending him. Here is what I have said from the beginning and am still hopeful for.

I think trading a 2nd for Darnold made more sense than trading tons of draft capital for an unproven rookie or a Deshaun Watson who probably isn’t playing this year. Some wanted us to trade multiple 1sts to the Jets to go get Wilson. I think trading a 2nd for Darnold is a much smarter move.

Does that mean I think Darnold is a franchise QB? I don’t know. I think his ceiling is a top 12 QB in this league based on his talent. But I’m not sure the mental side of the game will get there. I don’t ever see him being elite. But I could see him being a starter if he can take a few steps forward. 

If he doesn’t work out, we are out a 2nd. Not multiple 1sts. That’s a better place to be. But I’m hopeful, as all fans should be, that Brady can work wonders with him. So I’m going to give him a chance before bashing him 24/7 on this board, exclaiming he’s a lost cause after he’s thrown two passes in preseason and I’m also not going to formulate wild theories suggesting Rhule is coddling him when we have never seen Rhule in a preseason before now and have no reason to believe that’s the case.

For all we know, Rhule would be sitting any QB in the league during preseason because he feels he can prepare his QB in joint practices without risking injury. We simply don’t know. So yeah, I can’t get on board with bashing the coaching staff or Darnold based on nothing. I know some people get their Panther rocks off by talking poo about Darnold weekly. And they may well be right. He might flat out suck. But the Jets have a terrible track record of developing young talent, QBs especially. So does Gase. So imo the jury is still out on Darnold and I’m going to give him a shot to prove the doubters wrong before criticizing him constantly.

BTW. Hardly any of the starters are getting playtime in the preseason. Is Rhule coddling the entire 1st team? Or could it just be his philosophy that he refers not risk them during preseason games? Probably coddling, right?

• Pie 1