• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could Panthers be trading for a kicker?

TheSpecialJuan

44 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Getting a new kicker is our top need and priority as a team, IMO. We can't fix the QB situation or the OL situation or the LB situation. Whatever we would add would likely be mild upgrades at best.

Slye will flat out lose us games this season. That has to be remedied. 

Yup, as bad of a team as we were last year, we would have been 7-9 if Slye didn't choke in the KC and Vikings games. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I think it is interesting that the NFL does not pay kickers based on their importance.  An elite pitcher in baseball makes nearly a million a start and they are on the bench 80% of the time. 

Justin Tucker, the highest paid Kicker (Gano is second, by the way) makes $5m--about $330k per game--and they play fewer games (1/10). I dunno.

I do not trust Joey.  He must Goey.

• Pie 1

Teams aren't carrying two kickers into the regular season; just hold out to final cuts and put a waiver in for the best one available.  There's no need to trade unless the front office can acquire a ringer for a reasonable deal.  That's going to take more than a 7th rounder though.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think it is interesting that the NFL does not pay kickers based on their importance.  An elite pitcher in baseball makes nearly a million a start and they are on the bench 80% of the time. 

Justin Tucker, the highest paid Kicker (Gano is second, by the way) makes $5m--about $330k per game--and they play fewer games (1/10). I dunno.

Supply and demand I guess.

How many guys can hurl a baseball 100 mph ?  With very good accuracy.   Not many.

Of the 32 NFL kicking slots available every season most are held by someone who's been at the job for years.   So the actual number of new kickers needed is quite low.  And the college ranks graduate 20 or 30 kickers every year who could hit a 50 yard field goal.  

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Pie 1

30 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Supply and demand I guess.

How many guys can hurl a baseball 100 mph ?  With very good accuracy.   Not many.

Of the 32 NFL kicking slots available every season most are held by someone who's been at the job for years.   So the actual number of new kickers needed is quite low.  And the college ranks graduate 20 or 30 kickers every year who could hit a 50 yard field goal.  

The skill isn't being able to hit a 50 yard FG.

The skill is being able to hit any FG at 50 yards or shorter come rain or shine. Evidently not many can do that. 

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, thennek said:

Is Slye any different from what he was a year ago? Seems the Panthers should have been trying out kickers long before now….they have only had the entire offseason. 

Well we got sold the idea that a sport psychologist would fix him. I distinctly remember some of the Huddle buying into that hogwash, in spite of his entire college and NFL career performances. 

They did bring in another kicker that promptly got shown shown door early in camp.

• Pie 2