• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With God as My Witness, I Will Appreciate this Manifestly Above-average Draft Class.

Steves89

8 minutes ago, Steves89 said:

I have been reading this board since it started in 2003. The best place to find panthers news and insight. I don't often post as I don't often feel that I have insightful things to say (that's called self-regard by the way, maybe one or two of you should try it) 

After 17 years of reading this board, following the Panthers, and reading the, let's face, frankly moronic garbage most of you post, this cicada is ready to emerge from its cocoon to awkwardly step over the shockingly low bar that is the standards of discourse around here and share a modicum of perspective to the larvae inching across the Huddle excreting their under-informed, over-indulged, doomsday-predicting detritus. 

My perspective is this: It is the pre-season - the most hopeful time of the year. The time of year when football is back, and yet, has not even begun. We have the whole, beautiful season of jubilant expectation not yet tainted by the cankered blossom of reality. More to the point, this is the most exciting draft class I can remember. Nearly every single draft pick has flashed promise. I mean, look at them.

Jaycee Horn - Frankly the pick I am most disappointed by, and I am really not that disappointed. He is in all likelihood an above-average starter from day one and has a chance to be a perennial pro-bowler. Swipe right on this dude. 

Terrace Marshall - Exceeded expectations and expectations were pretty high. He is our 3rd wr which practically makes him a starter day 1. Two draft picks. Two quality starters. Tough to top that.

Brady Christiansen - Played well through two preseason games. Lots are clamoring for him to start day 1. That would be three day 1 starters from our first three picks. Pretty amazing. More likely, he will settle into a starting roll later in the season. Right now, his floor looks like a high quality depth. I'll take it.

Tommy Tremble - Upgrades our blocking at the position immediately and has really flashed some ability as a receiver. Will get lots fo playing time. Also, has a name that sounds like an abandoned character that was planned to be the friend of Biff from Back to the Future. And he has only the second best name in this crop which brings us too...

Chuba Hubbard - Played very well through two preseason games. Will get tons of playing time spelling CMC and keeping him fresh. That's five picks and five hits so far. 

Daviyon Nixon - played well, flashed athleticism and provides quality depth in the middle of the line. Not bad for a rookie DT

Keith Taylor - played well in camp and showed some promise before his injury. even if he doesn't pan out, we are talking about a rookie 5th rounder.

Deonte Brown - Apparently a mountain got lost on its way to Appalachia and wandered onto our practice field. Turns out he can play. People are actually talking about him as a potential starter. Personally, I doubt it, but having quality depth from the 193rd pick in the draft when he is a rookie is outstanding. 

Shi Smith - Let's face it: Smith would be a starter on like, 75% of panthers teams in the past. Maybe you don't remember the days of Keary Colbert or Dwayne Jarrett. But I do. And those were 2nd rounders. The value we got at this pick is amazing!

Thomas Fletcher- I have nothing to say about this man. But he is a Panther and will forever be my brother. Great pick. 10/10.

Phil Hoskins - Seems to be outplaying Daviyon Nixon, who many projected going much earlier than we got him. Hoskins has been excellent in the action he has seen and will provide excellent depth.

With God as my witness, I will appreciated his manifestly above-average draft class!

We could not ask for a more promising draft class at this point. Spout whatever negative bullspit you want, but I am here to tell you that this is a great class. Enjoy it. It doesn't happen very often.  I remember Eric Shelton for God's sake. And if you don't know who Eric Shelton is, ask your grandfather how he developed that twitch. 

So here is my advise: Enjoy the ever-present now. Build your castles in the sky. And don't you ever dis a wide receiver named Smith again.

Well Done Reaction GIF

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

29 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

Disappointed in Horn? Maybe it’s time to go back into the cocoon.

That's right! I have extremely high expectations for the first defensive player taken in the draft. And thus far, he has merely met them with a few bumps along the way. But it is so early in his career so there is lots of time to learn. I look forward to a long promising career from that talented young man!

Edited by Steves89
  • Pie 3

I don't think it's just Panthers media hype that has this draft class looking amazing relative to some of good ole Hurndog's.

Too early to say too much but when was the last time it looked like we added multiple starters, with talent added to both sides of the ball?

It used to feel like training camp was where Hurney's 2nd and 3rd round picks went to fall out of the league heh.

• Pie 2

48 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

How is anyone judging this draft class on two preseason games? Positively or negatively.

You judge a draft class maybe 4 or 5 years down the road. That's when you actually know if what you did worked, save some outliers(CMC, Greg Little, etc).

I agree. it IS too early to judge. And that's the point.

We have only a tiny sample size of their work and that small sample is excellent. So now we get to be at this point where all we have is hope for what they can do and how good they will be. Some will flame out. More often than not,  that's what happens.  But right now, we have no reason to think that. They've been great. So feel free wait as long as you want to judge how good a player was half a decade ago if that's fun for you. What's fun for me is thinking about how much potential this team has and sharing that with people who love this team too. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Steves89 said:

I agree. it IS too early to judge. And that's the point.

We have only a tiny sample size of their work and that small sample is excellent. So now we get to be at this point where all we have is hope for what they can do and how good they will be. Some will flame out. More often than not,  that's what happens.  But right now, we have no reason to think that. They've been great. So feel free wait as long as you want to judge how good a player was half a decade ago if that's fun for you. What's fun for me is thinking about how much potential this team has and sharing that with people who love this team too. 

Yeah, I don't know about "excellent." We've gleaned some minimal information about how they might look. Some good, some bad, some in between. If we get 2+ starters out of this and 3-4 of these guys make the end of their rookie deals, it was a damn good draft. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

How is anyone judging this draft class on two preseason games? Positively or negatively.

You judge a draft class maybe 4 or 5 years down the road. That's when you actually know if what you did worked, save some outliers(CMC, Greg Little, etc).

I agree with both of you honestly. On one hand, as you say, its preseason which is legitimately a glorified, televised practice that you learn VERY little from. We are all putting WAY too much stock in these meaningless games. Positively or negatively. 

On the other hand we have seen more positive than negative from nearly every pick so far despite the tiny sample size in said meaningless games. Based on the last decade of Panthers drafts this already feels like an improvement lol. 

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Pie 4

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I don't know about "excellent." We've gleaned some minimal information about how they might look. Some good, some bad, some in between. If we get 2+ starters out of this and 3-4 of these guys make the end of their rookie deals, it was a damn good draft. 

I agree. 2 starters and 3-4 seeing out the end of their deals would be an excellent class. And I think is totally attainable for this group. We could have even more starters. We'll see!

2 hours ago, Steves89 said:

I have been reading this board since it started in 2003. The best place to find panthers news and insight. I don't often post as I don't often feel that I have insightful things to say (that's called self-regard by the way, maybe one or two of you should try it) 

After 17 years of reading this board, following the Panthers, and reading the, let's face, frankly moronic garbage most of you post, this cicada is ready to emerge from its cocoon to awkwardly step over the shockingly low bar that is the standards of discourse around here and share a modicum of perspective to the larvae inching across the Huddle excreting their under-informed, over-indulged, doomsday-predicting detritus. 

My perspective is this: It is the pre-season - the most hopeful time of the year. The time of year when football is back, and yet, has not even begun. We have the whole, beautiful season of jubilant expectation not yet tainted by the cankered blossom of reality. More to the point, this is the most exciting draft class I can remember. Nearly every single draft pick has flashed promise. I mean, look at them.

Jaycee Horn - Frankly the pick I am most disappointed by, and I am really not that disappointed. He is in all likelihood an above-average starter from day one and has a chance to be a perennial pro-bowler. Swipe right on this dude. 

Terrace Marshall - Exceeded expectations and expectations were pretty high. He is our 3rd wr which practically makes him a starter day 1. Two draft picks. Two quality starters. Tough to top that.

Brady Christiansen - Played well through two preseason games. Lots are clamoring for him to start day 1. That would be three day 1 starters from our first three picks. Pretty amazing. More likely, he will settle into a starting roll later in the season. Right now, his floor looks like a high quality depth. I'll take it.

Tommy Tremble - Upgrades our blocking at the position immediately and has really flashed some ability as a receiver. Will get lots fo playing time. Also, has a name that sounds like an abandoned character that was planned to be the friend of Biff from Back to the Future. And he has only the second best name in this crop which brings us too...

Chuba Hubbard - Played very well through two preseason games. Will get tons of playing time spelling CMC and keeping him fresh. That's five picks and five hits so far. 

Daviyon Nixon - played well, flashed athleticism and provides quality depth in the middle of the line. Not bad for a rookie DT

Keith Taylor - played well in camp and showed some promise before his injury. even if he doesn't pan out, we are talking about a rookie 5th rounder.

Deonte Brown - Apparently a mountain got lost on its way to Appalachia and wandered onto our practice field. Turns out he can play. People are actually talking about him as a potential starter. Personally, I doubt it, but having quality depth from the 193rd pick in the draft when he is a rookie is outstanding. 

Shi Smith - Let's face it: Smith would be a starter on like, 75% of panthers teams in the past. Maybe you don't remember the days of Keary Colbert or Dwayne Jarrett. But I do. And those were 2nd rounders. The value we got at this pick is amazing!

Thomas Fletcher- I have nothing to say about this man. But he is a Panther and will forever be my brother. Great pick. 10/10.

Phil Hoskins - Seems to be outplaying Daviyon Nixon, who many projected going much earlier than we got him. Hoskins has been excellent in the action he has seen and will provide excellent depth.

With God as my witness, I will appreciated his manifestly above-average draft class!

We could not ask for a more promising draft class at this point. Spout whatever negative bullspit you want, but I am here to tell you that this is a great class. Enjoy it. It doesn't happen very often.  I remember Eric Shelton for God's sake. And if you don't know who Eric Shelton is, ask your grandfather how he developed that twitch. 

So here is my advise: Enjoy the ever-present now. Build your castles in the sky. And don't you ever dis a wide receiver named Smith again.

Uh the season hasn’t begun bro. Tf you talking about

preseason is not a sample size lol

there are some legit doom and gloomers here but seriously, recognizing the above does not qualify