• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Prayers for our rivals

exactlyzack

This natural disaster on top of the largely manmade one of ooc covid in that state - I feel for all those folks most especially the emergency responders and hospital workers who are already over stressed.  As someone already said they are going to need a lot help from the rest of us after this.  If you can afford it , find a good charity and donate to it.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I'm with you. Anyone who can't put sports aside and show concern for their fellow americans needs to have a long talk with a therapist who will probably boil it down to just grow the hell up. I have cousins who lived in NO when Katrina hit. They permanently relocated to Dallas then, but those that remain may need more than our thoughts and prayers after the storm. Let's hope it doesn't get that bad, but if it does, they will need more than just prayers.

Having said all that, given that the Army Corps of Engineers said BEFORE Katrina that NO would be underwater in 100 years no matter what we do without absolutely massive investments, when are people going to wake up to the fact that this isn't a good place to locate a city and relocate it elsewhere? It is no longer necessary as a major port given Houston's proximity, so the need for it to sit where it does doesn't exist anymore. It would be safer and better for everyone concerned long term if the city was relocated to a less exposed and precarious location. But given the way homo sapiens tend to operate, doing the smart thing with a long term view seems unlikely. That's just my two cents.

It's true. Sea levels are rising. Hurricanes are getting stronger as a whole. That's not debatable. The clock is ticking loudly for New Orleans. For Miami. For Charleston. For the Outer Banks. For pretty much all low lying coastal areas for that matter.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's true. Sea levels are rising. Hurricanes are getting stronger as a whole. That's not debatable. The clock is ticking loudly for New Orleans. For Miami. For Charleston. For the Outer Banks. For pretty much all low lying coastal areas for that matter.

Any bank that writes a 30 year mortgage in these areas right now should have it's FDIC coverage revoked by the Fed. There is almost zero chance these areas will be habitable in 25 years.  The small chance that does exist is if human beings drastically alter their existing behavior starting no later than immediately, or someone figures out how to control weather within that time frame, otherwise good luck.

Strategic urban planning and land management is needed to shift people away.   

I should note: New Orleans has lost 50% of its population since the 1960s much like the old industrial midwest cities in Milwaukee and Detroit.  It takes a communal effort with companies and individuals to move over time which is in fact happening.  As a someone in city planning and architecture, I can say that these cities will diminish and shrink over time. The more interesting opportunity/bright side is in their blight and shrinkage, identifying how to reconfigure things.  For the gulf, this includes the infrastructure and property that will be more marsh/uninhabitable land. Measures to properly mitigate brownfield sites that will be underwater over time.  Lot's of factors. 

I hope to hell the people down there stay safe.  

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Any bank that writes a 30 year mortgage in these areas right now should have it's FDIC coverage revoked by the Fed. There is almost zero chance these areas will be habitable in 25 years.  The small chance that does exist is if human beings drastically alter their existing behavior starting no later than immediately, or someone figures out how to control weather within that time frame, otherwise good luck.

It's gonna take drastic action. Most people just have this natural tendency to expect things to stay the way they are.

My wife was actually seriously talking about looking into buying a beach house on Edisto. I was like, you're kidding right? She wasn't. Look at this place. It's just an overgrown sand bar. You can't get more than a few feet above sea level. A lot of these houses will probably be underwater in our lifetime. I wouldn't touch real estate on this island with any long-term interests in mind.

• Pie 1

My wife and I have been following the hurricane pretty intently.  Admittedly, we started to care while watching Pitbulls And Pareolees.  Seeing the danger they are in is scary.

When are people going to realize that we need that do better.  In all things.

The people who will be hurt the most will be the people who have fewer options in their lives due to economics.  I do fear this will be a terrible disaster for the entire area. A lot of people will be unable to get out of harm's way because they do not have the resources.  There will be a big need not only in the immediate aftermath of the storm but there is also a  long term need that will not be met.  How do people relocate their families to an area that is safer and be able to support them, find jobs, new homes, etc?

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 4