• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Thoughts After Game 1

mav1234

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The difference is Darnold can make those throws. I don't see the obsession with checking down to CMC.  He's our most dangerous weapon and if teams are going to leave him open than you take advantage of it. 

My issue is NYJ did a good job of taking him out of the second half and NO ONE ELSE except DJ stepped up. 

A lot of QBs in the league can make the easy throws.  When you are trying to figure out if he is going to be your franchise QB after this season its the harder throws that separate the good QBs from the average.

How many throws today did he actually make that other average NFL QBs wouldn't have made?

I'm not saying he played bad, I'm just not convinced todays game tells you much.  They clearly protected him with play calling.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

A lot of QBs in the league can make the easy throws.  When you are trying to figure out if he is going to be your franchise QB after this season its the harder throws that separate the good QBs from the average.

How many throws today did he actually make that other average NFL QBs wouldn't have made?

I'm not saying he played bad, I'm just not convinced todays game tells you much.  They clearly protected him with play calling.

The TD pass to Anderson was a rare throw. 

This is also not an offence where you're asking your QB to make insane throws a lot. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

If the play isn't there you don't just show off your big arm for an incompletion.  The object is to move the ball down the field and score a Touchdown.  

You give CMC open field anything can happen, and it will.  He made some good throws deep and they just weren't caught.  I thought Marshall had 1st game jitters.  Seemed he couldn't catch a cold today.  Some of the passes Darnold made to him were good and should have been caught. 

• Pie 6

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If the play isn't there you don't just show off your big arm for an incompletion.  The object is to move the ball down the field and score a Touchdown.  

You give CMC open field anything can happen, and it will.  He made some good throws deep and they just weren't caught.  I thought Marshall had 1st game jitters.  Seemed he couldn't catch a cold today.  Some of the passes Darnold made to him were good and should have been caught. 

He also didn't notice that they blitzed us in every snap.  He also doesn't mention that our interior oline is complete ass and was getting pushed back into Sam's face in every pass.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Isn't that what good play calling is supposed to do? Besides winning the game which we did. I don't understand what your problem with Sam's play is. It was his first game with Brady as OC, both feeling it all out. I expect the play calling opening up as the season goes on.

• Pie 4

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I put the fumble on Ricci, honestly.

This is what happens when a team seldomly uses a FB, miscues when one actually enters the game.  I say is was on both guys, honestly.  Sam held ball out too early, but Ricci didn't have to be so close to Sam either when he obviously was not the intended ball carrier.

9 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

Isn't that what good play calling is supposed to do? Besides winning the game which we did. I don't understand what your problem with Sam's play is. It was his first game with Brady as OC, both feeling it all out. I expect the play calling opening up as the season goes on.

I didn't say I had a problem with his play.

I just said that what we saw today wasn't really that impressive.  He did what was asked which wasn't much.

By the end of the season the team is going to have to decide whether Sam is a franchise QB or not, today didn't tell us much.