• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule to USC? WTF?

Zod

3 hours ago, CRA said:

Do we actually know the details of his contract?  Petrino had a 5 year deal with the Falcons and went to Arkansas after 13 games.   Arkansas didn’t buyout that contract.  I think those crazy buyouts are in college sports. 

right now per year he makes close to Saban, Dabo money.   So USC I would think would have to make him the highest paid coach in all of college football…..which seems unlikely.  

A team can release a coach from his obligation like they did with Petrino but you really think tepper is that much of an idiot?

All contracts are binding both ways. You don't need to see the legal documents to know that. More than likely USC would have to compensate Tepper a great deal before he released Rhule.

Not to mention he's the 6th highest paid NFL coach and hasn't even had a winning season. 

Edited by Snake

Wanting a new coach after one season isn't a sign of great football intelligence.

Way too many fans have a lottery ticket mentality when it comes to coaches (players too, especially quarterbacks). Specifically, if the one you've got isn't an "instant win" you need to buy a new one.

The reality is sometimes it takes time to build a winner.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

USC would have to make him the highest paid coach in all of football for that to make any sense.

TBH, I don't think Rhule has done anything to warrant a $10+ mil contract, which is probably about what it would take.

If I had to guess, Kirk when he made that guess he assumed Rhule’s salary…and didn’t know what Tepper opted to pay Rhule.   Could of assumed he was making 3-4 mill in Carolina. 

4 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

What is USC going to do, offer him 15 million a year? 

Rhule is a first time NFL head coach making 8.86 million in base salary with incentives for up to 10 million a year. His salary is like top 5 if I’m not mistaken.

Also fug College football and the NCAA.

Yup. It’d be less money (maybe equal money), higher taxes, higher living expenses…..program that has been a dumpster fire. Poor choice to leave imo.

I would also not want to be on the other side of Tepper after tearing up the last 5 years of a 6 year contract. 

Gonna say that if Rhule did they he could kiss any future pro coaching aspirations after USC goodbye. 

Edited by unicar15

2 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

The job and being in LA isnt what people wanna make it out to be. Their stadium is ancient, facilities are not on par with SEC and Texas programs, and no matter how good USC is theyre always gonna be at best the number 3 show in town behind the Lakers and Dodgers, compared to places like Bama, Clemson, Ohio State where the entire area code revolves around the football team. Not to mention the campus is about 1 or 2 wrong bus stops away from being in Compton

We just renovated the stadium, immediately after gaining control of the stadium….millions of dollars worth of renovation.  Since it is a historic site, SC had certain guidelines, but they managed a significant upgrade within those guidelines.

Amazing that so many parents of wealth, fame, national and international industry leaders and diplomats send their children to that school 1 or 2 bus stops away from Compton.  All students get free Uber, and buses run from SC to the Staples Center.  The new 800 million USC Village is self contained with a Trader Joe’s, Wahlburgers and other restaurants and retail shops.  USC has a lower crime rate than UCLA.

So much BS.  Agents and coaches looking to get more money from their franchises or universities.  No one has been offered.  My friend’s USC site and WeAreSC just merged with One3.  He’s very connected to USCs’ athletic program, his father is in the USC Athletics HOF as a writer, so if he says all these hypothetical offers are BS, they’re BS.  

• Beer 1