• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinions: 2016 SB defense

Jmac

18 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

They were 6th in yards allowed and 6th in points allowed. That's not really bending.

It was solid but nowhere near one of our best years on D. Points scored that year league-wide were unusually high, and we allowed almost 20 points per game. Compared to 2013 when we allowed ~14 points per game. That is a significant difference. We won most of our games in 2015 on the strength of the offense and frankly Cam's heroics. Think how many shootouts we got into (Giants collapse and Cam saving our asses, Luke fuging McCown pretending he's Drew Brees in his prime and putting up 30+ points, etc.). 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

2015 DL: B

2021 DL: A+

2015 Linebackers: A

2021 Linebackers: B

2015 Secondary: B-

2021 Secondary: A

2015 Defensive Coaching: B

2021 Defensive Coaching: A

A couple games in at least this is definitely a better defense than the super bowl team.

I think this is pretty fair when comparing these two seasons. We went to the SB on Cam and the offense's shoulders along with a lot of very timely takeaways. The D was solid but was not the strength of that team, it gets overrated because of the SB appearance.

2013 really is the bar on D. That D waltzed their way to 12 wins despite an extremely underwhelming offense both in passing and rushing. It was frankly an all time great D that is overshadowed by the Seahawks also having an incredible D that year and by our 1 and done playoff appearance.

When comparing this year so far to 2013, I'd say something like this, with plenty of time/room for 2021 to prove itself further:

2013 DL: A+

2021 DL: A

2013 LB: A+

2021 LB: B

2013 Secondary: B-

2021 Secondary: B+

2013 D Coaching: A+

2021 D Coaching: A-

Edited by t96
  • Pie 1

37 minutes ago, t96 said:

Completely absurd to have 2015 over 2013 here. 2013 is our highest ranked defense of any season in both yards and points against.

2015 squad lead the NFL in takeaways.   Which tied them for the 3rd highest takeaway total of the decade.   And they set up that offense in a manner no other defense has done in Carolina to date. 

Then to top off that regular season....they had 11 takeaways in the playoffs.   11 takeaways in 3 freaking playoffs games. 

and you don't get to toss out what they did in the playoffs just because 2013 didn't make it past San Fran. 

you can disagree, it definitely isn't absurd. 

10 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I think the 2002 d was the best panther defense I ever saw.  They just go no help from the offense.  

We had the defensive rookie of the year in Peppers, opposite Rucker, Kris Jenkins was a beast in the interior. Linebackers Morgan, Witherspoon. Alot of people overlook how great our safety play was that year. Both Mike Minter and Dion Grant were probowl level talents that season. 

The major problem with the 2015 defense was, we were not very good at getting pressure unless we blitzed.  It was Short's best season by far and Addison was solid, but we didn't have an edge threat like this team has, or any of the defenses with Peppers, Hardy, and Johnson on it.  That alone, to me, puts it below those units.  It's hard to truly be a great defense without a great edge rusher.  Yeah you could say Norman was elite that year, and he was, but he had his issues too vs speedsters.  And the rest of the secondary was whatever.  

50 minutes ago, Mage said:

The major problem with the 2015 defense was, we were not very good at getting pressure unless we blitzed.  It was Short's best season by far and Addison was solid, but we didn't have an edge threat like this team has, or any of the defenses with Peppers, Hardy, and Johnson on it.  That alone, to me, puts it below those units.  It's hard to truly be a great defense without a great edge rusher.  Yeah you could say Norman was elite that year, and he was, but he had his issues too vs speedsters.  And the rest of the secondary was whatever.  

I agree about the dline.  If memory serves, we went out and signed Allen just for that reason.

But I think you are underestimating the secondary.  Had some age on it, but all in all, the secondary played very well that season.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

21 hours ago, CRA said:

In no real order, 2015, 1996, 2003 and 2005 are the 4 best defensive teams to date IMO.  All unique. 

this unit has potential.  And you really got to like it if they can keep adding to it given the age of some of the studs.  It’s a young foundation.  I could see them jumping some of those prior teams. 

Have to include 2013 IMO #2 overall in points and yards 60 sacks prime Johnson Hardy and Kuechly 

27 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Have to include 2013 IMO #2 overall in points and yards 60 sacks prime Johnson Hardy and Kuechly 

fair or unfair, I probably list those other 4 ahead because of the postseasons giving them bumps.  In addition to great regular seasons they had deep postseason runs with Carolina. 

22 hours ago, Dex said:

2015 defense was a bend not break defense that got a lot of turnovers. This defense doesn't bend. They just break... the other team.

Historically panthers D always play much better when they’re aggressive. Too many times fox/Rivera would go into soft zone and the D would get worn out. You bend something enough eventually it breaks. If Snow keeps the pedal to the metal this could be the most dominant D the panthers have ever fielded regardless of talent