• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3 weeks in...let's look at QBs

davos

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Lance is a long way away from being a NFL starter.  I doubt that is what Rhule and co were looking for. 

My point being, NO rookie was an option as the team was obviously vested in trading for a veteran.  Not Lance, not Fields and honestly probably not Wilson even had he dropped.  Lawrence may have been the only palatable rookie and he was completely out of reach.   It seems the team was unwilling to waste an entire season for a rookie to take their NFL lumps with OJT.  Yes, 9 times out of 10 you essentially flush your season down the toilet when starting a rookie QB.   Rhule obviously had zero interest in doing that.  It was the correct strategy in hindsight, no question.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

He’s also played 3 teams that are 0-9 with a D giving up less than 9 points a game. He’s probably the QB who’s had less pressure than Sam. Our opponents are 3-6 at least. That means our opponents are .500 against other teams not 0-6.

Neither Teddy or Sam have really been tested so we might not want to speak prematurely.

Truth be told, you're right.

10 hours ago, Kuhndog94 said:

It seemed on par with the Joe Burrow talk in 2020. 

Burrow came out of nowhere.  Lawrence has been hyped up at a national level since his senior year of HS.  NFL execs have been gushing about him forever. It surprises me how "small" he looks (for lack of better term) when I thought he would be more on a Murray, Luck, Cam, etc. type level even going into a bad team.

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

I know everyone wants an instant analysis but drawing any conclusions about these QBs in Week 3 is premature.

Which is what I prefaced a few times in the OP.  I know it's early but there are certain things that you can see with guys.  Certain things were clear the second guys like Kizer, Locker, Gabbert, Clausen etc. got on the field in their careers vs. the Cams, Lucks of the world.  Most QBs bust.  

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

We also decided he didn't fit our offense. That's why we skipped his second workout.

Ah, I wonder why that's why we were so intent on checking him out his first workout.  I mean, we swarmed that 1st pro day of his.  Sent the farm to see if he was a fit, determined he wasn't.  That makes sense ^^^^

16 hours ago, davos said:

And it's not what you think.  Definitely not looking at the 2022 NFL Draft prospects. Yuck do they look bad.

Actually, even looking at 2021, they all look pretty bad.  And yes, it is early.  VERY EARLY.  But as many players and coaches say, there are certain intangibles guys either have or don't and they know the SECOND they step onto the practice field after they're drafted.  And the second they're in their first game.

Where to begin?:

Mac Jones: Even with a really solid Patriots team around him, he looks like he's barely scraping by. Doesn't pass the eye test for me.  2 tds, 3 ints in 3 weeks, a 52 qbr,  

Justin Fields Debut: 6-20, 30%, 68 passing yards.  Did not look ready.  Nagy is gone, I don't know if he'll survive a year with that offense.  

Trevor Lawrence: Mr Can't Miss everyone cried about missing out on? He's had some of the worst looking interceptions I've ever seen from a field awareness standpoint.  That flea flicker today is near the top.  What is going on there? 7 ints through 3 games.

Zach Wilson: Lawrence does not own that stat, he shares it.  7 ints through 3 games. 2 passing TDs (1 gimme against us when we put on the brakes)

Trey Lance: Looked decent in preseason, is with a good org and coaches.  They seem to be bringing him along in an interesting way.  He was out of range for us.  But DO NOT FORGET -- he was the who we sent our entire staff to go check out.

Davis Mills? Meh whatever haha

So, I mean, I'm not really craving any of these guys over GEQBUS. This is a man.  

Sammy D ladies and gentlemen:

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

Certainly helps when your QB had already gone through 3 years of Growing Pains (Of Hell) in NY before coming here.   These other QBs are just beginning their journey and I'm sure many a coach will be gone by Year 3.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

People here told me we should trade three 1sts for Zach Wilson... no. I will not stop repeating this over and over for the rest of the season. The reactionary meltdown children that throw a fit when they don’t get what they want should be embarrassed. Cause I’m damn tired of hearing that poo every season.

Me too. I’m sick of the negative loser fans that don’t deserve to root for this team tbh can you imagine there’s people out there saying why did we trade Dan Arnold 😳 pathetic minds I’m annoyed even sharing the same team with them they should go bandwagon the chargers or rams .

6 hours ago, davos said:

Burrow came out of nowhere.  Lawrence has been hyped up at a national level since his senior year of HS.  NFL execs have been gushing about him forever. It surprises me how "small" he looks (for lack of better term) when I thought he would be more on a Murray, Luck, Cam, etc. type level even going into a bad team.

I always felt Trevor's rookie season would be very similar to Peyton Mannings. 

and I think he will end up with the rookie passing TD record in the end.  In that same breath, I always said I think people might be shocked at how many INTs he throws as a rookie.   Like Peyton.  

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Certainly helps when your QB had already gone through 3 years of Growing Pains (Of Hell) in NY before coming here.   These other QBs are just beginning their journey and I'm sure many a coach will be gone by Year 3.

3d chess. Of the QBs taken in the draft only 1 has landed with a team that will possibly develop him. I'll let you decide which one. The rest are fuged in that regard. 

• Pie 1