• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Want to see why you never trust PFF grades?

ncfan

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't know how their grading system works but they're so high on it that they refuse to adapt it for when it gives them a clearly flawed result. Hell, they might be crediting him for a plus play on the plays where he's in good position but gets forklifted into Darnold's lap because from a technical perspective he did do his job. He was just physically incapable of carrying out the task. Which is one helluva flawed grading system if that's how they're rationalizing his grade.

I don't know how anyone watches our games and can possibly come away thinking these two dudes are quality starters.  I just don't.

9 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

2B1A372C-51DD-44CB-B7BF-CF703787EB3A.jpeg

Right, haha. This is very true.

The thing about PFF is that it's basically an index. It's a way to take a qualitative/subjective assessment of various plays and stick a number to it.  That can have some value, but it's still just a subjective opinion in the end that is dressed up as objective. It isn't. 

In general most pff scores over a season match what most fans think of players. But individual scores in a game are sometimes seemingly wacky, and it is likely driven by elements of how the subjective play assessment is translated into a numeric score we don't know... E.g. if Paradise had a handful of incredible plays that were blown up by someone else, his score may skyrocket despite the fact he occasionally looked like a rag doll, depending on how these values get calculated.

Oh well.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Right, haha. This is very true.

The thing about PFF is that it's basically an index. It's a way to take a qualitative/subjective assessment of various plays and stick a number to it.  That can have some value, but it's still just a subjective opinion in the end that is dressed up as objective. It isn't. 

In general most pff scores over a season match what most fans think of players. But individual scores in a game are sometimes seemingly wacky, and it is likely driven by elements of how the subjective play assessment is translated into a numeric score we don't know... E.g. if Paradise had a handful of incredible plays that were blown up by someone else, his score may skyrocket despite the fact he occasionally looked like a rag doll, depending on how these values get calculated.

Oh well.

Just seems such a weird way to nerd out on a game (FB) of intangibles, and the cohesiveness of a teams’ players on any given play, night or situation.

Just now, 1usctrojan said:

Just seems such a weird way to nerd out on a game (FB) of intangibles, and the cohesiveness of a teams’ players on any given play, night or situation.

If it was more transparent I might get more into it, but as someone that is big on stats and data for my career, it just doesn't match my expectations and without transparency to see where my expectations are faulty I'd rather just not trust it 

• Pie 1

Just now, mav1234 said:

If it was more transparent I might get more into it, but as someone that is big on stats and data for my career, it just doesn't match my expectations and without transparency to see where my expectations are faulty I'd rather just not trust it 

Your key words.  Statistics are valuable, just don’t think it is true in evaluating football players or units in the ultimate team sport.  Individual sports,yes.

According to the game recap Paradis’ pass block grade was actually pretty bad.  He must had some decent run block plays.

I was a little surprised to see that 9 of the 14 pressures were attributed to Erving and Miller.  It’s not like we can really just blame one guy on the line.