• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Breakdown of the O-Line play from Sunday

Ricky Spanish

17 minutes ago, Louie said:

Right after Sewell got picked, I thought, ok, we will probably draft Slater. Some people thought he might be more ready than Sewell. I was going to be happy with it, but then they went Horn. Jaycee will probably be a great player, but I would feel much better with both a solid LT and RT.

I wanted Slater as well. Horn better turn into  Dion Sanders to justify his pick.

• Flames 1

Picking Slater isn't going to change the fact that the majority of our pass protection issues stem from the interior push.  Our tackles need to be able to usher their man upfield PAST the QB, but due to the lack of anchor in the middle, Sam is not able to give that to them by climbing.  We demonstrate our lack of interior strength over and over and over in both the run and pass game.

• Pie 6
  • Flames 1

59 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

I guess just add it to the list of why our offensive line sucks because I rarely ever see them do that kind of stuff.

The Cowfugs are massively more talented and have invested more resources into the offensive line along with a better O-line coach.  We're trotting out Moton and the 4 matadors and I'm not sure if Jim Hanifan could turn this group into anything more than mediocre.

Now excuse me while I go burn my fingertips for typing something remotely complimentary of the Phallus Cryboys.

Edited by ZeroZeroSeven
99 lashes for complimenting Cryboys
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Picking Slater isn't going to change the fact that the majority of our pass protection issues stem from the interior push.  Our tackles need to be able to usher their man upfield PAST the QB, but due to the lack of anchor in the middle, Sam is not able to give that to them by climbing.  We demonstrate our lack of interior strength over and over and over in both the run and pass game.

Watching this team run basic 30's forcing CMC to break down his body overpowering the D at the point of attack, over and over again, on first and second down is head scratching. This is one of the most flaccid interiors I've seen on this level.

Edited by Silent Majority

I rewatched the full game.

1st sack, Gregory moves Paradis out the way effortless for the sack.

2nd sack, Gregory walks Erving straight to the Qb.

3rd sack, right before the half backed up near the endzone was more of a coverage sack. Sam has to process quicker.

Not a sack but opening drive of 3rd quarter crucial 3rd down two Dallas defenders blitz into same A gap, Smith picks up free rusher does a good job, Paradis for some reason doesn't block anyone but does trip the guy from behind as he's falling into Donald to throw off his rhythm and causes incompletion.

4th sack, Parsons lines up right over the center, weak effort by Paradis, Daley has to come off of his man to assist, Parson blows up the the play, Sam scrambles into the sack. Another Dallas player gets the stat but Parsons created it.

5th sack, Smith tries to go low block on Parsons, but he's back up on this feet before Donald can get rid of the ball, results in a sack.

All in all the run blocking wasn't that bad this game.  Our run defense was the biggest no show. Paradis was by far the worst pass blocking O-lineman.

The two interceptions by Donald in the 3rd quarter is what blew the game wide open. I know he had a ton of pressure, but he can't make those mistakes. 

Edited by Pantherxtreme

3 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Most of our pressures and sacks came from the inside. 

Which is consistent with the previous games.

Our original plan for the inside was Elflein / Paradis / Miller. Between Miller having the virus and Elflein getting injured, I don't know that we've had much of that alignment at all. Not so sure we've started a game with that setup yet, but very sure we haven't finished a game with it.

(not that I necessarily think it would have been a huge improvement)

Edited by Mr. Scot

Anyone who thinks Paradis was the worst pass protection guy needs to learn how to watch film. He wasn't good but there were two other guys who played a lot worse and gave up more pressures.

That first sack looked so bad, where Paradis got thrown back so far, that I think everyone is projecting that out to the entire game.

According to this 

NFL Week 4 Game Recap: Dallas Cowboys 36, Carolina Panthers 28 | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Paradis had 1 sack allowed and 2 pressures allowed.

Ervin had 1 sack allowed and 6 pressures allowed.

Miller had 1 sack allowed and 5 pressures allowed.

Also I'm pretty sure Miller had a penalty and maybe Ervin also.

And for those that don't trust PFF, those numbers are actually close to what I saw when I went back and charted the game.

All three were bad, but if you actually go back and watch those three players on every snap, not the ball, Paradis was the least bad of those three and to be honest his PFF grade is inline with that.  His actual PFF grade was low for pass protection, his overall grade looked better than people expected because he played above average in the run game.

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which is consistent with the previous games.

Our original plan for the inside was Elflein / Paradis / Miller. Between Miller having the virus and Elflein getting injured, I don't know that we've had much of that alignment at all. Not so sure we've started a game with that setup yet, but very sure we haven't finished a game with it.

(not that I necessarily think it would have been a huge improvement)

It's been a game if musical chairs at guard from the jump.

7 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Anyone who thinks Paradis was the worst pass protection guy needs to learn how to watch film. He wasn't good but there were two other guys who played a lot worse and gave up more pressures.

That first sack looked so bad, where Paradis got thrown back so far, that I think everyone is projecting that out to the entire game.

According to this 

NFL Week 4 Game Recap: Dallas Cowboys 36, Carolina Panthers 28 | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Paradis had 1 sack allowed and 2 pressures allowed.

Ervin had 1 sack allowed and 6 pressures allowed.

Miller had 1 sack allowed and 5 pressures allowed.

Also I'm pretty sure Miller had a penalty and maybe Ervin also.

And for those that don't trust PFF, those numbers are actually close to what I saw when I went back and charted the game.

All three were bad, but if you actually go back and watch those three players on every snap, not the ball, Paradis was the least bad of those three and to be honest his PFF grade is inline with that.  His actual PFF grade was low for pass protection, his overall grade looked better than people expected because he played above average in the run game.

Appealing to PFF as authoritative?

Ummm... 😕

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Catsfan69 said:

I wanted Slater as well. Horn better turn into  Dion Sanders to justify his pick.

Horn will be a top CB if he can stay healthy. A lot of our defensive trouble was a direct result of him not being out there Sunday. I will always think we have gone way too far drafting defense but not my team and not my choice. We probably will still get a high pick next year so hopefully we address offensive. 

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Horn will be a top CB if he can stay healthy. A lot of our defensive trouble was a direct result of him not being out there Sunday. I will always think we have gone way too far drafting defense but not my team and not my choice. We probably will still get a high pick next year so hopefully we address offensive. 

We will be picking in the high teens bro