• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer has "called around" about offensive linemen

Zod

24+ teams the league are hurting at o-line, there simply isn’t enough to go around. I don’t get all the “but what about the o-line” posters in the Gilmore trade thread. Nobody is trading decent offensive linemen, and if they are it’s a decent offensive lineman for two first round picks (Tunsil) are you really willing to do that?

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

55 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

we arent far from the witching hour for teams who will not be going to the playoffs this year.... early calls help for later transactions. We still have a month until deadline.

This. Teams will be looking to re-evaluate their rosters and cap based on their chances in the coming weeks. Who knows what we might get between now and then. We have room to wiggle.

cat shaq GIF

• Pie 3

15 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Jets drafted line 1st round last year.  They drafted line 1st round this year.  They traded for Morgan Moses with a very high PFF for RT.  

They have higher Press% than we do and are 2nd in sacks with 16.

Pointing out what one of the worst teams in the NFL, who just so happens to be on their second top five QB pick within five years, is doing doesn't help your argument. Darnold coming here and finding more success should prove that.

1 hour ago, Captain Morgan said:

He also said no one was interested, not even for backups.  Keep this in mind during the off season.  FAs will get paid, OL will go early and often in the draft.

Someone who has been highly drafted either won’t work out or will want out….Fitterer will offer a 2nd for a 1st round talent. At least……that’s been his MO for basically every other position. I’m not sweating. 

Could also have enough cap room to sign a FA. Terron Armstead will be a FA this off-season and the Saints just prioritized Ramczyk. So….probably going elsewhere. Could be a solid, missing piece veteran addition and could double dip with OT in the first round. 

Edited by unicar15

11 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

i seriously doubt anyone believed this OL was the answer, just what they could get at the time. no reason to believe work on the line is done, or that the powers that be are satisfied with what we have.

Have said previously I thought we signed stopgaps for this year's line with an eye toward building via the draft.

Still haven't seen anything that leads me to question that. 

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

7 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Pointing out what one of the worst teams in the NFL, who just so happens to be on their second top five QB pick within five years, is doing doesn't help your argument. Darnold coming here and finding more success should prove that.

You mean like former 1st round pick Cam Erving?

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Jenkins hasn’t  played as stated. Our staff wasn’t high on Slater playing tackle so we don’t draft him at 8. Who exactly did you want and with what pick? It will mean losing players like Tremble, Marshall, Chuba, etc that were picked in the 2nd or acquired through trading down. It’s easy for us to say they should have drafted this or that but the opportunity has to exist and there will be a trade off. Our staff can’t revamp an entire roster/depth in 2 offseasons. 

Them not being high on Slater playing tackle and overpaying Elf and Erving on the first day of free agency might prove they aren't the best at judging Oline talent. Tremble, Marshall, and Chuba vs whoever else they could possibly have drafted is one of those things that will take at least a season or more to determine. They're all just rookies getting ready to play their 5th games after all.

And yeah, they can't rebuild the team in 2 years. They still could have broke ranks from what the previous regime did and put some cheap, young talent in the Oline instead of so much on the defense. They just have different priorities. 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

i seriously doubt anyone believed this OL was the answer, just what they could get at the time. no reason to believe work on the line is done, or that the powers that be are satisfied with what we have.

I think the surprise is that they are this bad.  Personally I thought they could at least be average. But damn, these guys are the worst in the league. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1