• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reddick + Jackson + Gilmore cost?

onmyown

In reference to the big contracts at years’ end, if we were to a sign them all how much do you think they’ll cost/count against the cap?

Shaq restructure incoming? Or we rollin with paying him 19 mil/yr or whatever it is for the rest of his contract/he’s cut?

I know the Panthers have a bit of cap room but Moore and Sam are right around the corner (2023). Who knows if they or the Panthers might want to do something beforehand. Plus, need an oline which won’t be cheap.

Asset management.  Sign the defensive guys to keep the defense strong.  Reddick and Jackson are musts in my opinion.

Gilmore is wait-and-see... No reason for either party to commit until he's on the field consistently

To your greater point, like Fitterer said, you almost have to build an Offensive Line through the draft b/c there is such a dearth of good linemen and teams aren't going to let them go under hardly any circumstance.  Plus, you have the benefit of a lower cost structure for your offensive line so you can pay other players

Good drafting is ultimately the key to all this working long-term b/c it allows you to build your roster with a substantial number of guys on rookie deals while having the cap space to reward the guys who have earned it and allows you to augment selectively through free agency.

Hurney could never produce a consistent winner b/c his drafts really did suck after the 1st round when you view his tenure in its totality.  The Panthers were usually very top heavy with little depth and a few injuries could and did derail multiple seasons.

Especially now with a 17th game, drafting well and churning the bottom of the roster is of even greater importance due to how many guys you need to play over the season.

Rhule & Fitterer are much more forward thinking in both seeing and planning for this attrition.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Asset management.  Sign the defensive guys to keep the defense strong.  Reddick and Jackson are musts in my opinion.

Gilmore is wait-and-see... No reason for either party to commit until he's on the field consistently

To your greater point, like Fitterer said, you almost have to build an Offensive Line through the draft b/c there is such a dearth of good linemen and teams aren't going to let them go under hardly any circumstance.  Plus, you have the benefit of a lower cost structure for your offensive line so you can pay other players

Good drafting is ultimately the key to all this working long-term b/c it allows you to build your roster with a substantial number of guys on rookie deals while having the cap space to reward the guys who have earned it and allows you to augment selectively through free agency.

Hurney could never produce a consistent winner b/c his drafts really did suck after the 1st round when you view his tenure in its totality.  The Panthers were usually very top heavy with little depth and a few injuries could and did derail multiple seasons.

Especially now with a 17th game, drafting well and churning the bottom of the roster is of even greater importance due to how many guys you need to play over the season.

Rhule & Fitterer are much more forward thinking in both seeing and planning for this attrition.

Good drafting is a must. Precisely  because you  cannot keep everyone. Every so often you will lose players, having good depth behind them is essential. Keeping your roster stocked with cheap rookie deals allows you to pick and choose which guys you want to pay.

So far we are on track. But we have just started. If we stay true to form. This should go well.

• Beer 3

I’m all in on Terron Armstead. Just please for once can we finally end the damn “Can he play LT?” meme.

Hopefully Reddick isn’t too expensive since even after a 12 sack season he still signed with us on a relatively cheap one year deal. You would think he would have had multiple high dollar multi year offers this past offseason.

Either way LT has to be our number one FA priority. Can’t keep ignoring the line any longer.

2 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

I’m all in on Terron Armstead. Just please for once can we finally end the damn “Can he play LT?” meme.

Hopefully Reddick isn’t too expensive since even after a 12 sack season he still signed with us on a relatively cheap one year deal. You would think he would have had multiple high dollar multi year offers this past offseason.

Either way LT has to be our number one FA priority. Can’t keep ignoring the line any longer.

There are some quality LTs coming up for FA. Now whether their teams let them go. Or their price is outlandish. Maybe this FO is willing to give it a go. I know they like youth. But a quality LT would improve this team tremendously.

1 minute ago, Mage said:

It really depends on how Gilmore performs.  

I loved the trade but he's 31, gonna be 32 next season.  I can't see us giving him more than $10m per.

I think that all things considered. DJs contract will probably be larger than SGs. Just because of youth, and how much longer you get him for.

1 minute ago, Mage said:

It really depends on how Gilmore performs.  

I loved the trade but he's 31, gonna be 32 next season.  I can't see us giving him more than $10m per.

I can't either. This is the same age where Darrell Revis (and many other elite CBs) fell off a cliff.

2 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I can't either. This is the same age where Darrell Revis (and many other elite CBs) fell off a cliff.

I guess that's why both SG, and the Panthers are going to wait until the end of the year. Gives them both a chance to see how things go. Does SG still gots it? Is he physically able to go? What he may want finacially to stay? Does he want to stay? Do we want him back?

Lot's going into this situation.

36 minutes ago, onmyown said:

In reference to the big contracts at years’ end, if we were to a sign them all how much do you think they’ll cost/count against the cap?

Shaq restructure incoming? Or we rollin with paying him 19 mil/yr or whatever it is for the rest of his contract/he’s cut?

I know the Panthers have a bit of cap room but Moore and Sam are right around the corner (2023). Who knows if they or the Panthers might want to do something beforehand. Plus, need an oline which won’t be cheap.

Unless Sam explodes into something great, i don't anticipate him being here when that contract runs out. Hopefully he gets a pro bowl.