• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCaffrey says Thursday night game contributed to injury

SBBlue

link:McCaffrey says Thursday night game contributed to injury :: WRALSportsFan.com

"

The Carolina Panthers' 2019 All-Pro running back said he “definitely” feels like playing on a short week against the Houston Texans on Sept. 23 contributed to his strained hamstring, which held him out of last week’s 36-28 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.
“I don’t prefer Thursday night games,” McCaffrey said Thursday. “You go through a lot in a football game and then you really get two days to recover — and one of those days is a travel day. So you get two days to recover, you hop on a plane, you’re in a hotel and then go out and play in a football game. It’s tough.”
“I think I’m not alone in this, but I would argue against them,” McCaffrey said when asked if he would like to see Thursday night games eliminated.

"I understand though it is part of the game. I can sit up here and complain, and I’m not complaining that’s for sure. But it is frustrating when you feel like it's something that could have been avoided with a little more rest.”

"

• Pie 5
  • Flames 2

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

The NFLPA signed off on Thursday night games many years ago, right?

This was a mistake on their part. Looked at increased revenue available for salaries and valued it over their own well-being.

It would have happened without their approval, though.

• Pie 1

Glad he answered how he did instead of giving a political non-answer.  Initially I was happy to see more football but needing to lead up to every Thursday game getting a "whose season is gonna end tonight!!??" bingo card ready doesn't make anyone happy but the accountants.

Player safety though, right?

• Pie 3

I love Thursday night football. It really feeds my itch to watch some NFL instead of waiting for Sunday.

With that said I think he is 100% correct, and I think it would take minimum effort to put together a schedule where teams who play Thursday are both coming off a bye and don’t play the following Sunday.

They may have to adjust and add a week or two, start earlier, go back to 16 games, or take away another of their money hungry worthless preseason games to make it work but it can be done.

• Pie 4