• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers HC's - Winning % Through First Two Seasons

kungfoodude

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

He was on the last year of a contract in a clear tank season.  He thought he was a lame duck coach, and he was right.  I agree with everything else though.

Fox got the Panthers into the Super Bowl in 2 seasons, but I think the league passed him by.  He wasn't nearly as good later on with Denver.

You have to have meant Chicago right

DEN 2011 8 8 0 .500 1st in AFC West 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Divisional Game
DEN 2012 13 3 0 .813 1st in AFC West 0 1 .000 Lost to Baltimore Ravens in AFC Divisional Game
DEN 2013 13 3 0 .813 1st in AFC West 2 1 .667 Lost to Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII
DEN 2014 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC West 0 1 .000 Lost to Indianapolis Colts in AFC Divisional Game
  • Pie 1

Just now, Fox007 said:

You have to have meant Chicago right

DEN 2011 8 8 0 .500 1st in AFC West 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Divisional Game
DEN 2012 13 3 0 .813 1st in AFC West 0 1 .000 Lost to Baltimore Ravens in AFC Divisional Game
DEN 2013 13 3 0 .813 1st in AFC West 2 1 .667 Lost to Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII
DEN 2014 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC West 0 1 .000 Lost to Indianapolis Colts in AFC Divisional Game

Yeah I'm misremembering things.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

what was the team's winning % the last full season under the previous coach before the new guy took over. 

This will determine whether he made improvements, stayed the same, or made the team better. 

Capers was starting from scratch.

Seifert took over a 4-12 team.

Fox took over a 1-15 team.

Rivera took over a 2-14 team.

Rhule took over a 5-11 team.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

12 minutes ago, SingleMalt said:

Sorry you’re right…don’t want to get in the way of your poo on the coaching staff thread during a rebuild 

It's really weird how some Panthers fans get more upset about legitimate criticism than embarrassing losses to bad teams.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

33 minutes ago, SingleMalt said:

So I’m supposed to be concerned with our coaches record DURING a rebuild.

nah……I’ll wait

If you don't poo on everyone, and everything. You are labeled a Cockeyed Optimist, or a Homer. If you want to sit at the cool kids table, you gotta throw some poo.

Last year, everyone knew we had a crap team. But somehow this year it is supposed to miraculously turn into steak and potatoes.

It's a rebuild folks.

Jake isn't coming to save us like he did Foxy.

Cam ain't coming to save us like he did Rivera.

And the supplemental draft isn't coming to save us like it did for Capers.

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, kungfoodude said:

Note: This does not include interim coach Perry Fewell's 0-4 record in 2019.

I will update this periodically through the season to track Rhule's ranking.

1. Dom Capers - 0.594

2. John Fox - 0.563

3. George Seifert - 0.469

4. Ron Rivera - 0.406

5. Matt Rhule - 0.400

1. Dom Capers - 0.594

2. John Fox - 0.563

4. Ron Rivera - 0.406

5. Matt Rhule - 0.357

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

On 10/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, kungfoodude said:

Note: This does not include interim coach Perry Fewell's 0-4 record in 2019.

I will update this periodically through the season to track Rhule's ranking.

1. Dom Capers - 0.594

2. John Fox - 0.563

4. Ron Rivera - 0.406

5. Matt Rhule - 0.400

To be fair at this point we need to tank so his numbers should go down.

But..... we never in Capers or Fox's first two years thought about tanking. We were building and excited. 

• Beer 1

This place was screaming for Rivera’s head two weeks into year three. I like to think it was what prompted River Boat to be born that year. 

Difference in them and now is that you could see a future with Cam at QB. We are a rudderless ship right now. 

If we give Rhule another year and he starts slow, this place will be whipped up into a frenzy (with good reason). 

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

This place was screaming for Rivera’s head two weeks into year three. I like to think it was what prompted River Boat to be born that year. 

Difference in them and now is that you could see a future with Cam at QB. We are a rudderless ship right now. 

If we give Rhule another year and he starts slow, this place will be whipped up into a frenzy (with good reason). 

Rivera strung some wins late in year 2 to earn a year 3. You are dead right about him coming out conservative again and going Riverboat to save his job and earn a year 4.

I haven't seen Rhule do a anything yet to earn a year 3. There is still some games left but it's looking bleak for him at this point, which is an improvement from Sam's last start where it looked like he might not make it to the end of the year.

I think in the current era of the NFL, the rebuild is every year and the normal  turnover with retirements, cap casualties,  and free agent departures are around 30 to 40% anyway

my concern is not rebuilding. My concern is that during this rebuild there is massive regression which points to not only mishandling the normal % of departures but failing at coaching, drafting and free agency to improve holes and plug in replacements 

One of Rhule’s core philosophies  of versatility vs  doing on position to the highest level is incredibly stupid in the nfl.   The reverse is actually true.  Players need to be the best of the best at their core position and if they have ability to play any other position with a degree of competence, that’s a plus.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1