• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Well since PJ is probably starting this Sunday, I watched the highlights from his only other start.

hepcat

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Damn, I forgot what a mess this game was.

First of all. the stands were empty the whole game. The Lions don't have many fans across the country and the Panthers fans had given up at that point I guess. How embarrassing

You can't be serious with this. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Red zone turnovers are always costly, and PJ seems to make some ugly throws down there.  With that being said, our defense is much better this year and I don’t think it’s appropriate to assume that Mac Jones is going to easily have his way with us if PJ throws a couple picks.  

Whether PJ or Sam starts, this game will be decided by our defense.  

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Damn, I forgot what a mess this game was.

First of all. the stands were empty the whole game. The Lions don't have many fans across the country and the Panthers fans had given up at that point I guess. How embarrassing.

Secondly, wow. The Lions attempted to give this game away all afternoon with crummy play, pathetic defense, inept offense, and turnovers. It wasn't really as much of a win for the Panthers as much as it was the Lions being a complete dumpster fire poop fest on this day. As a side note, Stafford looked miserable in this game. I remember him having some rib injury or something and having some of his starting receivers out. What a horrible franchise to play for. 

Onto PJ Walker's performance. Up and down, mostly down. PJ had 5 or 6 really beautiful throws. 1 long bomb to DJ Moore set up an early TD, and another throw was to Curtis Samuel for the other touchdown in the corner of the end zone. Brady schemed him up some other easy throws over the middle that PJ was able to hit. Other than that, he made two mind numbingly stupid throws into the end zone that ended up being INTs, one of which there wasn't a Panthers receiver anywhere nearby. Against a Lions team that seemed to give up in the 2nd quarter, that isn't a good look for 'ol PJ.

Playing against Bill Belichick and the Patriots, a performance like this from PJ probably means a loss. Two red zone INTs usually means your team loses. The Lions couldn't make the Panthers pay for those turnovers. The Patriots will. 

As much as it makes me want to vomit, lets hope Darnold gets all the marbles stuffed back in his skull so we have a chance on Sunday.

Your analysis overall is pretty spot on.  The Lions were abysmal when we played them last year, and it will take a better effort to beat the Patriots on the road.

That being said, I honestly thought PJ did pretty good as a backup in that game other than the 2 awful endzone throws.  Nothing great, but he did move the offense.

I think the game Sunday comes down to who makes more mistakes IMO.  The Patriots are well-coached but are definitely not the juggernaut they once were.  IMO, they are going to try to run the ball with much of the same game plan we did last week against Atlanta.

Both defenses have the advantage over the corresponding offenses.  I think it will be a low-scoring physical game.

The QB who makes the critical mistake will be the difference in the game.  I think Mac Jones will develop into a capable starter, but he's still a rookie and our defense can rattle him.  I certainly don't think the QB matchup is really that much of a difference maker, whether Darnold plays or not.

I have no confidence in Walker, I've seen no reason to. He played the Lions last year and that was the equivalent of playing the pre-Bobby Bouchet Muddogs. 

In relief of Darnold this year, he looked like we'd sent our punter out there as an emergency QB.

Geez, this is the most hopeless, snakebit .500 team in the history of the league. Makes you wonder who it was that pissed off an old gypsy lady to get us cursed like this.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 3