• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quality of NFL coaching and how Rhule stacks up against Louis Riddick's criteria

jayboogieman

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

IMO, he is suspect on the first two but on the surface seems to be doing well on #3. 

How?  Suspect on the first 2?  Disagree completely.  We are developing players like crazy and Rhule may not give all the facts as we are transitioning to different players but the man is honest.  Stupid 

I don't think you can fairly rate a coach on credibility from the outside.  If your coach is always tell the unvarnished truth to the outside your team will be at a competitive disadvantage.  It's honestly refreshing to see that Rhule understands this.  Rivera was too busy trying to obfuscate to say anything interesting.  At least with Rhule, you hear interesting things, even if you can't believe any of them.  What we don't know is what he says to his players behind the doors.  Could be he's completely honest with them.

• Beer 1

I feel like all this “Rhule sucks as a coach” stuff is going to feel really foolish after he gets CMC back. If CMC and Shaq stay healthy the rest of the year I’m predicting the Panthers are 8-9 with wins over:

Pats, WFT,  Dolphins, Falcons. 

I think there is a chance we could sneak a Bucs win as well if they’re resting starters at the end of the year. Again….this is only if we have a healthy team. 

So is a 3-win improvement with NO real QB threat and your best players injured a significant portion of the season really a bad coaching job? I honestly think that if CMC and Shaq stayed healthy we’d be sitting at the top of the NFCS right now. Coaches can’t control injuries and Idt you can expect huge gains in the NFL without your best players…

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

I feel like all this “Rhule sucks as a coach” stuff is going to feel really foolish after he gets CMC back. If CMC and Shaq stay healthy the rest of the year I’m predicting the Panthers are 8-9 with wins over:

I think there is a chance we could sneak a Bucs win as well if they’re resting starters at the end of the year. Again….this is only if we have a healthy team. 

So is a 3-win improvement with NO real QB threat and your best players injured a significant portion of the season really a bad coaching job? I honestly think that if CMC and Shaq stayed healthy we’d be sitting at the top of the NFCS right now. Coaches can’t control injuries and Idt you can expect huge gains in the NFL without your best players…

8-9 wins in year 2 would be basically the Rhule college track record. That should mean we are looking at a big 2022 season.

But, Rhule is catching heat because some of his biggest mistakes(QB and OL) are costing us game after game when he was the guy making those decisions. That goes with being the "final say" on personnel decisions. You are taking FO heat too.

I think it's too early to really tell if Rhule is a good NFL coach.  He's always had traits: excellent motivational speaker, seems very hands on in practice, and engaged in all areas of the team.  The Panthers also haven't quit.  They are still fighting.  Sure, the offense may go no where, but the D is still bringing it each down.  That means something.

But he's got some major issues in game management (timeouts, situations), and he should probably back off being a dictator and concentrate more on being a coach.  There is nothing wrong with a coach telling the GM the types of players they need, and letting the GM do their job.  It's another thing to be the final voice in all decisions.

I think if Matt really just let other do their jobs and concentrated more on his own, then it will only do better for the team.

45 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

8-9 wins in year 2 would be basically the Rhule college track record. That should mean we are looking at a big 2022 season.

But, Rhule is catching heat because some of his biggest mistakes(QB and OL) are costing us game after game when he was the guy making those decisions. That goes with being the "final say" on personnel decisions. You are taking FO heat too.

What decision at QB would have been better?

Fields? He’s thrown 7 picks and has a 65 QBR. The Bears are worse off than we are. Rhule would be getting killed for not “being able to coach him up.”

Mac Jones? He’s being coached by maybe the best coaching staff in league history and he’s probably no better than Darnold physically. Again…Rhule would be getting killed. 

The QB trades didn’t pan out bc there aren’t deals to be made.

If you want to kill Rhule over something maybe you say he should have taken Slater over Horn. But if Horn stays healthy and is OTW to the pro bowl as a rookie…is that really a mistake? 

Idt any of these things are mistakes or bad coaching. He made the right decisions. He’s just had bad luck. 

It’s pretty glaring what needs to be fixed in the off-season. I think if next year we haven’t addressed QB and LT then you can start heating up his seat. But honestly our trajectory is up. Hopefully there is a QB shuffle and we’re able to snag a good one with our 2022 first round pick. Sign a LT. We may lose guys like Burns and Jackson…but we’ll have others to fill the voids like Gilmore, Horn, Reddick etc. They’ve done a good job positioning themselves to not have to make bad deals. Hurney NEVER was able to do that. Ever. So I actually think we’re sitting in a pretty good spot. Lots of potential assets. Few actual needs. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Fields? He’s thrown 7 picks and has a 65 QBR. The Bears are worse off than we are. Rhule would be getting killed for not “being able to coach him up.”

Mac Jones? He’s being coached by maybe the best coaching staff in league history and he’s probably no better than Darnold physically. Again…Rhule would be getting killed. 

this always gets weird though.  The if a player does X with that team then somehow that means he would be doing the same here. 

Hell, just look at Fields the one game Nagy was forced to miss from COVID and wasn't allowed to call the plays for fields.  He basically looked like the dude everyone thought the Bears were getting to work with. 

I don't know how Fields would look here.  But Nagy and the Panthers would be doing different things with Fields.  

1 hour ago, unicar15 said:

Lol so ur saying Rhule isn’t a good enough coach to get them wins when someone is out lol. That don’t sound like a CMC problem! Look at other teams they win with good coaching all the time.

3 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Lol so ur saying Rhule isn’t a good enough coach to get them wins when someone is out lol. That don’t sound like a CMC problem! Look at other teams they win with good coaching all the time.

What other team in the league lost their best players on both sides of the ball and is better than 4-4? 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

The QB trades didn’t pan out bc there aren’t deals to be made.

If you want to kill Rhule over something maybe you say he should have taken Slater over Horn. But if Horn stays healthy and is OTW to the pro bowl as a rookie…is that really a mistake? 

Idt any of these things are mistakes or bad coaching. He made the right decisions. He’s just had bad luck. 

It’s pretty glaring what needs to be fixed in the off-season. I think if next year we haven’t addressed QB and LT then you can start heating up his seat. But honestly our trajectory is up. Hopefully there is a QB shuffle and we’re able to snag a good one with our 2022 first round pick. Sign a LT. We may lose guys like Burns and Jackson…but we’ll have others to fill the voids like Gilmore, Horn, Reddick etc. They’ve done a good job positioning themselves to not have to make bad deals. Hurney NEVER was able to do that. Ever. So I actually think we’re sitting in a pretty good spot. Lots of potential assets. Few actual needs. 

Picking Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold and PJ Walker isn't bad luck. He inherited zero of those players. He pursued and signed all of them.

That is 100% his fault. Bad luck is getting a rookie QB who has a injury plauged career. Bad luck is not overpaying a career mediocre player like Teddy. Bad luck is not picking up an ex-player and NFL washout in PJ Walker. Bad luck is not taking a three year NFL starting bust with well known issues reading the field and then trading for him. 

None of those decisions are bad luck.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

What other team in the league lost their best players on both sides of the ball and is better than 4-4? 

Horn was not our best player lol. He is good but he is a rookie cmon. At least that’s whom I think ur talking about on the defensive side. Also check our record don’t even have a winning record with CMC since he’s been in the league, so I’m going to have to disagree with you on that one.