• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things are not well on Mint Street.

Zod

How does a professional organization not know there is a difference between drawing up play concepts vs calling plays in an actual game with actual players ?

it is mind boggling 

he maybe the greatest concept drawer the world has ever seen but if he can’t call in game, adjusting scheme and rhythm, he is not a NFL OC 

god help us but maybe ole Teddy was right in his judgement of Brady and Rhule and perhaps the ‘two legends in their own minds’ didn’t like the criticism 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

It's actually not a fact.  The dude threw 1 TD and 2 INT's in his only start ever.  That's very Darnold of him.  His games off the bench have been far, far worse.

The WRs in the Lions game had 243 rec yards.  The most the WRs have done in the Matt Rhule era. That's just the WR production I am talking about.  There are games with more passing yards checking down to RBs and what not.   So while PJ gives you all the bad Sam Darnold gives you of late.....PJ at least isn't gun shy and will attack.    The last 5 weeks simply doesn't have that.  

The bad is the same at this point with both.  At least PJ isn't shell shocked and will take shots. 

and I don't care about coming off the bench.  PJ is horrible.  If you are down multiple scores and ask to him to pass every down....he will go down in a blaze of glory. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

How does a professional organization not know there is a difference between drawing up play concepts vs calling plays in an actual game with actual players ?

it is mind boggling 

he maybe the greatest concept drawer the world has ever seen but if he can’t call in game, adjusting scheme and rhythm, he is not a NFL OC 

god help us but maybe ole Teddy was right in his judgement of Brady and Rhule and perhaps the ‘two legends in their own minds’ didn’t like the criticism 

Honestly I think Brady just stole Payton's playbook from New Orleans.  Problem is that hes hardly Sean Payton and just having a book full of plays is nothing when you don't know the right times to call them, don't know how to teach or implement them correctly, and don't have the right players to run them successfully. 

16 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Agreed. 

We took Sam's 5th year. So its likely he is here next year. I think we need sit him the rest of the year and let him learn from the sideline. Putting him out there is not helping us win and because of the 5th year option we need to see what he could be next year. We should bring in a vet to finish off the rest of the year and go into next season with Sam with an open QB competition. But at this point putting Sam out there is not good for anyone. 

Agree with everything above. To salvage Darold’s career even as a backup in the future, he needs to sit the remainder of the season & watch from the sidelines. Hell I would put him in the booth so he can see the whole field during live action. It may help him with reads & understand the opposing defenses. 

Darnold seems lost right now. I feel bad for the guy. 

By the way, I could not find the refund policy on the Panthers website. I would like a refund for yesterday’s game. 

• Pie 2

We've dug a hole that will take more than a season to dig out of, Sam is here for another season and PJ isn't a backup option. Without reviewing the obvious shortcomings what can we do now?

The offense has to stay on the field longer or the D will eventually just give up and the D is the closest to being above average on this team. The Pats did us a favor, we can't pretend anymore that we can't run through our passing deficiencies.

Brady has proven he doesn't know how to read pro defenses, rarely are they fooled by his schemes and he thinks QB has more time than they do. Is there a reason we can't have two RBs on a play?

Let Brady and Walker go, find a OC that can run the ball with CMC/Hubbard/Abdullah and create more protection with Tremble and others. We need first downs and time of possession to increase.

I wish we could bring Cam, I really do, but I just don't see him having the patience and ability to mentor others. So we need to get a vet that is up for a tough year but will lead the team that will be run oriented. If Sam can be a backup for a season, its possible he may improve next year.

It's a deep hole, no doubt, but we are (for now) better than 6 other NFC teams and  if somehow we get a WC, yes we would screw the draft but playoff experience is worth it.

• Pie 2

If Tepper starts making impulsive decisions based on ‘in the moment’ emotions, this org is sunk forever.

We have an elite level D but made some bad decisions on the other side of the ball.

The team needs patience and a dose of reality. Consistent winners don’t come from owners and staff that are new to the nfl.

Tepper should have a 10 year outlook, not 2-5.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 2

38 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

how did Brady go from "brain-child genius" to inept??

i'm nervous to just axe him.. but dunno what else to do.. it's all poo at this point

I've thought about this a lot, again, as a guy who was likely his biggest advocate from early on in that season preceding his hire here...  and honestly, I don't have an answer.  The perception has indeed went a full 180.  What I do know is that we have enough of a sample size now to indicate that he is indeed a huge part of the problem.  I said last year, Teddy was the most difficult QB to watch play in the history of our franchise.  Then we dump Teddy and get Darnold, and now I find myself saying that Sam is by far the absolute worst QB that has ever taken a snap as a starter for this organization...  and he's even worse than a lot of guys who never started a game for this organization.

What is the common denominator?  Brady.  Considering Teddy's lackluster performance last season, many of us were quick to dismiss his complaints about the coaching staff as sour grapes.  In hindsight, it wasn't at all.  It's not coincidence that Teddy is now looking as good as he does in Denver this season, but looked so confused and inept last season.  Darnold was already trash before we got him, and that was always my stance on him coming into the pros...  but just as great coaches make good players better, bad coaches make some players worse.  Brady has definitely done the latter.  Although it seemed impossible, he made Sam Darnold look worse and more inconsistent than he already was.  He also made a Top 15-20 starter in Teddy look like a bottom third starter.

He's gotta go.  I have no doubt in my mind at this point and won't regret it one bit.

• Pie 3

17 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I mean, we knew this OL sucked in the off season and literally had NUMEROUS threads about it.  The staff went out and signed a couple of cast-offs and thought they fixed the issue.

So yeah, in seems the Huddle has more of a clue how to fix this team than the brass.

The brass knew. It’s why there was so much talk about tension in the draft room. The O staff were pissed we passed on so many O linemen.

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

If Tepper starts making impulsive decisions based on ‘in the moment’ emotions, this org is sunk forever.

We have an elite level D but made some bad decisions on the other side of the ball.

The team needs patience and a dose of reality. Consistent winners don’t come from owners and staff that are new to the nfl.

Disagree.  While I DO agree that owners shouldn't make impulsive or emotional-based decisions, this wouldn't qualify.  We are in year two of this staff, and they have recklessly used his assets for two consecutive offseasons to secure "their guy," they convinced him of, after also talking him into dumping the incumbent former NFL MVP who also happened to be a marketable and profitable face of the franchise.

This wouldn't be impulsive.  Their ineptitude going on two years is progressively getting worse with each passing week...  he has been more than patient if you ask me, especially with regards to the offense.

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

How can you plan 10 years in advance for an NFL team, when the vast majority of NFL players only last 2 or 3 years?  

• Pie 1