• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Cam get a long term deal if he plays well the rest of the season?

KillaCamNewton

I think a 2 year deal would be most likely.  I also think that is the best possible outcome for both sides.  Obviously if he plays well you'd bring him back at the end of that, but a two year deal allows us flexibility if next season happens to be awful.

I love bringing him back, but we still have to groom a qb at some point.  I'd be completely cool riding with Cam next season since the market is bare, and letting him take the starting/mentorship role the following year.

I love signing, because Cam and Charlotte are a perfect fit, and he gives us the best chance to win.  This season he has no pressure.  Next season however, if he has a rough 4 or 5 game stretch it will be time to look at drafting the next eventual starter.

8 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

I don't know if a guy like Fields could be a backup for the two, three or more years Cam plays. This is to the end.

PJ on the other hand...

Aaron Rodgers didn’t start until his 3rd or 4th year. It’s what I meant by the Green Bay model. And if cam had to miss time or whatever fields could step in. You set yourself up well that way. You make good football decisions based on cams health/play while having a talented rookie waiting in the future. If fields outperformed cam then fields plays and you respectfully transition from the most important qb this franchise has ever had while still maintaining a good football team. 

1 hour ago, KillaCamNewton said:

This whole 1 year prove it deal is 2 years late tbh because we should have gone into the 2020 season giving him a chance to show he’s healthy

but say he looks to be in his 2018 form, do we even have a choice at that point to NOT resign him knowing we could easily be back in QB purgatory going forward if we let him walk?

He finished the whole season last year and was still playing well in week 17. If he hadn't caught Covid in the middle of it numbers would have been even better. If Darnold could play like 2018 Cam you know Rhule would give his guy like guaranteed 4 year $35m deal. Cam will have to keep on some kind of voidable 3-4 year $20 m contract 

It's basically an 8 game deal worth $4.5 million that could equate to $10 million if the Panthers win the Super Bowl....lol.  

If Cam does well we will have to pay him a boat load to come back next season and if he sucks we are back at square one....either way it should have been a two year deal minimum if it was truly an attempt to better the team and not just a play to sell tickets and merchandise.  Sure would be nice to know Cam is here for at least the next season and a half and bring in a guy to learn under him next season...oh well.

Edited by Gucceland

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Yes.  If he plays well you bring him back.  You then draft a kid.  Let him learn behind Cam.  Obviously you don't give Cam a mega deal.  But you pay him very well in short increments. 

Basically what we should of done this whole time.  Kept Cam.  Paid him well on shorter contracts as we monitored his health.  Drafted Fields.   Fields learns behind Cam in an offense that would have already been slanted to what you would want to do with Fields. 

Didn't the front office try this and Cam wanted a long term deal?  The staff is incompetent no doubt, but I think Cam was still thinking he was worth a fortune when we let him test free agency.  

4 minutes ago, Gucceland said:

It's basically an 8 game deal worth $4.5 million that could equate to $10 million if the Panthers win the Super Bowl....lol.  

If Cam does well we will have to pay him a boat load to come back next season and if he sucks we are back at square one....either way it should have been a two year deal minimum if it was truly an attempt to better the team and not just a play to sell tickets and merchandise.  Sure would be nice to know Cam is here for at least the next season and a half and bring in a guy to learn under him next season...oh well.

If he plays well I don't think his contract would be horrible.  At this point, you would have to think his preference would be to stay here if he can.  I mean the contract we just gave him has to earn a lot of good will, and Cam will never see the love like he will here anywhere else.

2 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

This whole 1 year prove it deal is 2 years late tbh because we should have gone into the 2020 season giving him a chance to show he’s healthy

I agree it was absolutely the correct path to take but Cam wasn't interested and all the nut-huggers were saying it was disrespectful to expect Cam to play out his deal.

He wanted an extension and the way he went about it blew up in his face...

• Poo 1

55 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

imagine cam has a good year this year and comes back next year with a full off-season thrown behind fixing the offensive line 

you cannot fix the 29th ranked oline in one season with half your top picks missing 

it just doesn’t work like that

this oline is already horrendous and they don’t even have Paradis next year, so despite literally dangerous guard play, a C is an absolute must 

this is the hole that was dug and will take several years to address. honestly it’s really doing cam a disservice.