• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Way too early look at ‘22 Offseason

Santee_Panther

10 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I don’t think Daley is capable of holding down LT. Our best bet is Erving getting healthy or BC stepping in. The most frustrating thing is Darnold taking up $18 million next year. That money could have been used on Reddick or Gilmore…

I got a feeling that we might move Sam for a day 3 pick so long as we take on half of the contract.

With '23 having a lot of available cap space, Fitterer can potentially get guys on deals similar to what they did with Moton (cap hit $4M this season, but escalates next season) should they be guys they're comfortable offering multi-year deals to.

Right now, our best bet looks like it's going to be rolling into the draft with Erving-Christensen-Elflein-Brown-Moton and seeing how the board falls. Maybe bring Daley and Scott back on cheap deals for depth while also bringing in a high quality vet than John Miller to compete for RG.

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

There is just too much to see the rest of the season for anything definite at this time. Let's get 6 games into this new setup and then we can break it down.

Can Gilbert stay healthy because he is a better CB than Jackson and a better vet leader from all appearances. Can a certain QB stay healthy? Can this oline perform like last game inanother  3 to 5 weeks? Film brings a lot of reality and we just did a major switch-up. Can Reddick bring it all year? If so he is a must keep. How does that factor into Burns' upcoming contract? Does Anderson return to a 1000 yard guy? It looks that way but too early. And what do we do with Darnold? Cap hit vs trade value of a 7th two years from now should be discussed. 

first, do what we can to keep the band together on defense. only thing i would want to add is honey badger if the chiefs keep being stupid and let him go. rest of the guys are keepers, imo.

second, add a couple years to cam and i guess keep pj and darnold around. maybe darnold can learn a thing or two i don't know. guy has no trade value anymore so we're pretty much stuck with him. just glue his butt to the bench.

let paradis go...please let him go. the only adjustments after securing cam for a couple more years is on the OL. #1 target should absolutely be terron armstead then just get the best available vet option out there at center...or draft one if there is a "start ready" one available. 

aside from the OL and Cam, i'm good with everyone else on that offense. even ian thomas doesn't piss me off anymore.

if we can get Cam to buy us some time at QB so we can get that OL built right, we might be in a decent position to draft a QB in some year that isn't 2022 (it's just not a very good year to be doing that kind of thing).

focus next draft on the OL and maybe a safety if we don't get honey badger and don't stress about not having a lot of picks. 

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, rayzor said:

first, do what we can to keep the band together on defense. only thing i would want to add is honey badger if the chiefs keep being stupid and let him go. rest of the guys are keepers, imo.

second, add a couple years to cam and i guess keep pj and darnold around. maybe darnold can learn a thing or two i don't know. guy has no trade value anymore so we're pretty much stuck with him. just glue his butt to the bench.

let paradis go...please let him go. the only adjustments after securing cam for a couple more years is on the OL. #1 target should absolutely be terron armstead then just get the best available vet option out there at center...or draft one if there is a "start ready" one available. 

aside from the OL and Cam, i'm good with everyone else on that offense. even ian thomas doesn't piss me off anymore.

if we can get Cam to buy us some time at QB so we can get that OL built right, we might be in a decent position to draft a QB in some year that isn't 2022 (it's just not a very good year to be doing that kind of thing).

focus next draft on the OL and maybe a safety if we don't get honey badger and don't stress about not having a lot of picks. 

I’m especially big on keeping Cam till we can build an OL and find a new QB. If things go our way we could find ourselves similar to how the Chiefs had Alex Smith around and our shined new QB walks into a stud team when he’s ready like Mahomes did.

• Pie 1

I don't think they are too concerned with cap space to target free agents.  I think they prefer to build through the draft.  Therefore this is what I think will happen.

Gilmore, Reddick should be re-signed (10m each?)  

Haynes, Carter, and Burris will return if cheap (2-3m).

DJax and Jones will exit.  Djax should net us a future 3rd.

Our defense should remain strong with or without Djax if Horn returns and we keep Gilmore and Reddick.

If Cam holds up and plays well, he will be offered an extension.  Darnold will stick around as a backup.  No need to give up draft capital just to gain a few million in cap.

If Christensen looks decent, our OL suddenly looks ok on paper.  Moton-Brown-Elflein-MJ-Christensen looks decent with Erving as the utility lineman. 

RBs, WRs, and hopefully QB look good on paper.  

Obvious weaknesses include TE and OL.  Our first rounder could be in the 20's meaning if we keep the pick, we can really beef up one or the other.  Is this the year we draft our pass-catching TE or play it safe with the best G in the draft?  Even better if we can convert the 1st to a 2 and 3 and address both spots.

In addition to our first rounder, we have a 4, 5, 5, 6, 7.  Prime areas for Guards, LBs, and ST depth.

I really like the way they are building this team for the future.  

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, ThPantherFan said:

And that is a big chunk.  I have to add that, if Sam has protection and he can get set, he's a good QB.  His happy feet is his downfall. 

trade him to Washington for a 6th.  They have a good o-line, right?  Need a QB?  It would be well worth 18 mill for one year for them to give Sam a chance to be their long term QB.  For a long term QB, teams will take a chance.

• Beer 1

Just because it's painfully obvious to everyone (except the Panther organization, apparently) that O-line is the definite need for this team doesn't mean it'll be addressed.

Anyone who thought this O-line was serviceable 4 months ago, or even 8 months ago before the draft, and didn't do anything about it; you really have any reason to believe it'll be addressed in the future?

• Pie 2

48 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Just because it's painfully obvious to everyone (except the Panther organization, apparently) that O-line is the definite need for this team doesn't mean it'll be addressed.

Anyone who thought this O-line was serviceable 4 months ago, or even 8 months ago before the draft, and didn't do anything about it; you really have any reason to believe it'll be addressed in the future?

You don't have to be mean about it...

We'll resign everyone we want to resign if we can get the prices we want.  CMC will be restructured, Shaq, Moton, Robby, whoever as needed to make the room we need.

I'm sold on the cap is a myth and this FO will make the space they need and keep who they want to keep.  It probably won't be everyone, but I'd bet it's more than you'd expect.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

I think they're going to cut Darnold. Bridgewater played better than Darnold and they got rid of him. I don't see him playing another snap for the Panthers.

I don't know much about the 5th year option besides it's fully guaranteed. I wonder if they can split the money into multiple years at least? 

Our defense is missing two pieces.  

1.  elite MLB.  Like Roquan Smith or fred warner

2.  Ball hawk  Safety.  Like a honey badger. 

Elite linebackers usually don't hit free agency so we will likely have to draft one.  Good news is gems can be found in the later rounds.  Safeties do get a chance to test free agency often and the upcoming class of free agents is stellar.  

The offense is being held back by inconsistency.  If we can find a oline lineup that gels and add stronger depth at guard it will be improved.  Obviously QB is a problem but having number 1 back gives me a flutter of hope.  I always thought Cam was gonna be the one to lead us to a Championship, he may still.  We need to find a QB to develop though.  Not convinced this is the year to do so though.  

So some Fitterer magic in free agency and some luck the off season will be another step in the right direction.  Fingers crossed. 

20 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I don't know much about the 5th year option besides it's fully guaranteed. I wonder if they can split the money into multiple years at least? 

I saw someone post something about how it's not actually guaranteed except for injury, so maybe they're SOL there with his shoulder but I don't know. The 5th year option is a weird thing

• Beer 1