• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keep Fitterer and Morgan

NAS

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

Who questioned the sources? I’m talking about words straight out of their mouths. 

“I wanna win a SB with Cam.” 
“Player A is important to our future”. Then cut shortly thereafter. 
How about recently. Some people were gullible enough to believe we would rotate QBs against WFT. Just because Rhule said they would. How did that work out for you? What else you got? 

No one is talking about that. It has been reported by multiple sources that Hurney took the lead in hiring Rhule. Stop with your strawman fallacies. 

4 hours ago, Snake said:

No one is talking about that. It has been reported by multiple sources that Hurney took the lead in hiring Rhule. Stop with your strawman fallacies. 

Where did these sources get their info from. It’s exactly what we are talking about. Credibility. Just like sources reported that they would rotate QBs. And you swallowed that thing whole. 

23 hours ago, Snake said:

Yeah the FO needs to stay in place. Rhule imo is a holdover from hurney and needs to go. Tepper screwed up letting Hurney stay. 

Why do people keep saying that?

Rhule is a fuging Tepper hiring, the man wanted Rhule, he flew out there to meet him personally at his home... Let's stop kidding ourselves here. Tepper saw his shiny toy and paid handsomely for him. Next time he has to leave this to the pros. No more meddling. 

• Pie 2

21 hours ago, Toomers said:

A 19M “cuddling” hurts in any term. As I asked, where is this plenty of cap space and please explain how this is not going to effect what players you get in FA. This year and next. For an option with no upside. Even if he does great, he’s getting that money and more. Any other scenario and it’s a complete anchor. There is no scenario that made this decision less ignorant than it was when they made it. 

You justify a 19M loss for feelings and don’t think there will be some sarcasm. You know better than that. 

They coddled Sam Darnold from the moment he entered the building. Dude is mentally fragile. 

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Why do people keep saying that?

Rhule is a fuging Tepper hiring, the man wanted Rhule, he flew out there to meet him personally at his home... Let's stop kidding ourselves here. Tepper saw his shiny toy and paid handsomely for him. Next time he has to leave this to the pros. No more meddling. 

Because it was reported that Hurney took the negotiations to the next level and Tepper admitted he was a bit along for the ride. Typical for a new owner. Why does everyone now naturally assume owners are in charge of hiring coaches? Most don't and it's the GMs responsibility. It's just like this year with the draft. Tepper wanted a LT but allowed his staff to draft. Better or worse he doesn't micromanage. 

Edited by Snake

There is no way Hurney was the lead man in choosing Matt Rhule. Hurney picked two head coaches that took teams to the Super Bowl, both based on their extensive experience in the league.

The Rhule hiring has all the hallmarks of a newbie owner wanting to shake up the league and show how it could be done differently. That was a first class nouveau riche move.

Unless you think Hurney did it to spike the cannons on his way out? Funny as that sounds, there's no way he was going to do that.

OMG, Tepper wanted Rhule but he also wanted Hurney to hold his hand during the process. Both are true, Rhule is a Tepper and Hurney guy, which makes all the other hires including Fritts an extension of Hurney and Tepper. The percent of blame really doesn't matter because Hurney should have already been fired by that point. 

Tepper fugged all of this up but he had a lot of help along the way. IF he learned anything he needs to have learned why when you clean house, you clean the entire thing or this is the kind of mess you make and the time you waste. 

From the introductory press conference. David Tepper's own words. 

And Marty's going with his toughness and his questions and we're about halfway through the interview and Marty Hurney starts melting down. And you could Marty and he's like 'I've gotta get into recruiting mode now.' So Marty goes from total interview mode to putting on the recruiting mode. And Steve and I looked at each other and looked at Marty and didn't say a word, and we just all went into recruiting mode because we knew we had something special.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, trueblade said:

From the introductory press conference. David Tepper's own words. 

And Marty's going with his toughness and his questions and we're about halfway through the interview and Marty Hurney starts melting down. And you could Marty and he's like 'I've gotta get into recruiting mode now.' So Marty goes from total interview mode to putting on the recruiting mode. And Steve and I looked at each other and looked at Marty and didn't say a word, and we just all went into recruiting mode because we knew we had something special.

Drop Mic GIF by Captain Obvious

This entire staff is a Hurney level product, all of them.

• Pie 1

21 hours ago, 45catfan said:

A one-year loss.  Dude, you are acting like this is setting the franchise back decades. He's going to be an overpaid backup next season to finish up this deal.  We are not going to cut him because you incur dead cap AND have to fill the spot.  It was a stab at a potential franchise QB when Teddy didn't work out.  The 5th-year option came along with Darnold.  They chose to pick up the option which now doesn't look wise, but it's not a franchise busting mistake.  Dude's get overpaid all the time in this League, why you are so fascinated with Danrold is beyond me?  I mean if your so bored you want to continue on all day, I can go to OTC and cherry-pick tons of contracts that overvalued (I actually have to get some yard work done at some point).  Why? Teams take a risk at extending, re-working, offering new deals based off what they value that player to be for that organization.   Does that backfire?  Oh, heck yes, many times over.  Best case scenario at that point is take your lumps and move on.  LUCKILY for us it's just...one...season.

I admire your tenacity.  Darnold was a roll of the dice.  It doesn't appear it was a successful move at this point, but I think worth a roll.  He may be broken, but no way I just cut him.  He could  still be a backup.

I think everyone is so focused on the short term they often miss the big picture.  When Rhule was hired, he said it was a 5-year rebuild.  I don't remember anyone in here arguing that it should only take 1-2 years, but here we are.  

Last year I expected to win 2 games and we won 5.  This year I was expecting 7-8 wins and I believe we will be pretty close to that.  Meanwhile we've had a couple of good drafts, built a solid defense, have a few good options in our offensive skill positions, and our coach is learning the NFL game.  Draft 3 was clearly designed to build the OL, and I suspect that will be the focus.   My guess is we trade back and pick up a T and G on day 2.

Moving forward, I'd keep to the plan.  Draft OL and give the QB a chance.  The only change I'd make is to move on from Brady.  Let's get an offensive coordinator in here that can get something out of Darnold.

We will snag our QB of the future in Draft 4.  He will arrive on a nearly complete team.  He'll get his feet wet and gain some experience.

Then year 5 we start competing for championships.

I think we are still on schedule despite the bumps in the road.