• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

General Coaching News

Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tidbits of coaching related info from around the league...

Raidable Staffs: This time of year, I like to look at which coaching staffs appear most likely to be fired and what assistants might be available from them. SI's Conor Orr did a write-up of that sort, listing the Bears, Raiders, Texans, Broncos and Jaguars as strong possibilities. General speculation is that the Vikings now might also be on that list after their loss to the Lions. The Bears staff in particular has a guy that I've coveted for years in OL coach Juan Castillo.

Coaching Free Agents: Mentioned before that Doug Pederson isn't currently on staff anywhere so he wouldn't require permission to interview for an OC job or anything of that sort. Pederson isn't the only one though. Turns out that Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy and quarterback coach Mike Kafka both have contracts that expire at the end of this season. If they're not renewed, they could conceivably be available for lateral moves. Mind you, this would require that they want to leave Andy Reid and the Chiefs organization.

Carroll Vulnerable? Might sound shocking, but there is some speculation on this front, with owner Paul Allen's widow reportedly unhappy with him. Talk is more than he might retire than be fired. If he does leave, maybe Scott Fitterer could reach out to OC Shane Waldron.

Stewart in an Odd Spot: Panthers VP of Player Personnel Pat Stewart is one of the Panthers top front office decision makers, but he could be in a little bit of an odd spot right now because he was brought aboard as a Matt Rhule ally. If Rhule winds up on the outs, what does that mean for Stewart?

Other Front Office Options: Upheaval in Seattle might also give Fitterer the option to poach his old co-worker Trent Kirchner from the Seahawks. Kirchner would be equally familiar to Dan Morgan and actually got his start working in Carolina. Also among guys with former Panther connections, Bills assistant scouting director Lake Dawson once interviewed for the GM job here and is a guy I'd love to see Morgan lure away from Buffalo.

I'm not a big fan of pulling all the guys from Seattle....that were also part of the Seattle decline. 

• Beer 3

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Meh, it was never a great hire and his positives are out weighed by the negatives IMO. Some here just want to blame it on all Rhule but he had a hand in this mess. The fact Rhule liked him and wanted him here is the kiss of death. His evaluation skills are terrible and that is his forte (exceprt CB of course, that is golden lol). 

... He was lauded as this shrewd dude who could dig out talent in 5,6, 7th rounds of the draft..lol...now we know why, because he trades the other rounds away...

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

I am thinking Pederson or Bieniemy aren't going to be looking for an OC role. 

Maybe Pederson, but Bieniemy isn't going to leave the Chiefs for a lateral move.

that's also not a lateral move for Bienimey.  He would have no job security and have less to work with.   Any OC we hire will basically be on a one year deal if Rhule stays.  Probelm with lame duck HCs is that no one good is going to want to come and work for them. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

that's also not a lateral move for Bienimey.  He would have no job security and have less to work with.   Any OC we hire will basically be on a one year deal if Rhule stays.  Probelm with lame duck HCs is that no one good is going to want to come and work for them. 

I was using "lateral" in the same terms the NFL and NFL teams do. 

Trust me, I agree Bienimey accepting the Panthers OC position would be a downgrade for him.

Doug Pederson is one of the few guys I could see taking such a chance.  He's already got a SB win on his resume, so if we flamed out with him as OC, I don't think anyone would blame him specifically.  If he had any success, he would find himself in interviews for head coaching jobs within a season.

But I don't think Matt Rhule is hiring Doug Pederson, or anyone with legit NFL experience for that matter.  He would have done it when he was hired, but instead he just hired his college crew.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Doug Pederson is one of the few guys I could see taking such a chance.  He's already got a SB win on his resume, so if we flamed out with him as OC, I don't think anyone would blame him specifically.  If he had any success, he would find himself in interviews for head coaching jobs within a season.

But I don't think Matt Rhule is hiring Doug Pederson, or anyone with legit NFL experience for that matter.  He would have done it when he was hired, but instead he just hired his college crew.

Had the balls to call the Philly Special in the Super Bowl win. He's probably too confident for Rhule to have work under him, but it would be an easy transition. Only knock is taking Hurts out of a game so they could tank in a lost season anyway

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

37 minutes ago, Snake said:

Tepper would never hire a racist like that. 

Gruden will never work in the league again or call a game or get sponsorships. What he did was out and out wrong, but someone took that info and did a hit job on him that would make the Mafia proud.

And you can believe that Gruden's probably not the only one involved in these kinds of e-mails.

• Beer 2

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tidbits of coaching related info from around the league...

Raidable Staffs: This time of year, I like to look at which coaching staffs appear most likely to be fired and what assistants might be available from them. SI's Conor Orr did a write-up of that sort, listing the Bears, Raiders, Texans, Broncos and Jaguars as strong possibilities. General speculation is that the Vikings now might also be on that list after their loss to the Lions. The Bears staff in particular has a guy that I've coveted for years in OL coach Juan Castillo.

Coaching Free Agents: Mentioned before that Doug Pederson isn't currently on staff anywhere so he wouldn't require permission to interview for an OC job or anything of that sort. Pederson isn't the only one though. Turns out that Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy and quarterback coach Mike Kafka both have contracts that expire at the end of this season. If they're not renewed, they could conceivably be available for lateral moves. Mind you, this would require that they want to leave Andy Reid and the Chiefs organization.

Carroll Vulnerable? Might sound shocking, but there is some speculation on this front, with owner Paul Allen's widow reportedly unhappy with him. Talk is more than he might retire than be fired. If he does leave, maybe Scott Fitterer could reach out to OC Shane Waldron.

Stewart in an Odd Spot: Panthers VP of Player Personnel Pat Stewart is one of the Panthers top front office decision makers, but he could be in a little bit of an odd spot right now because he was brought aboard as a Matt Rhule ally. If Rhule winds up on the outs, what does that mean for Stewart?

Other Front Office Options: Upheaval in Seattle might also give Fitterer the option to poach his old co-worker Trent Kirchner from the Seahawks. Kirchner would be equally familiar to Dan Morgan and actually got his start working in Carolina. Also among guys with former Panther connections, Bills assistant scouting director Lake Dawson once interviewed for the GM job here and is a guy I'd love to see Morgan lure away from Buffalo.

I wonder if lack of confidence about Rhule's future will hurt bringing in top notch candidates.

2 minutes ago, Toker Smurf said:

I wonder if lack of confidence about Rhule's future will hurt bringing in top notch candidates.

Of course it will.  How could it not?

I'm still stunned that Sean Ryan wasn't given the OC duties for the rest of the season as a potential tryout for the permanent role.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Schuyler Callihan (Sports Illustrated's Panthers writer) put together a list of who he sees as potential candidates for the full-time OC job come next season. The list is as follows:

RB Coach / Interim OC Jeff Nixon

The most obvious choice given that he currently has the role and shares a strong relationship with Matt Rhule

QB Coach Sean Ryan

Ryan was Rhule's original choice for the OC job but Callihan sees this as less likely under the current circumstances

LSU OC Jake Peetz

Unlikely to keep his current job with Brian Kelly taking over at LSU; was known and liked by Rhule during his time as the Panthers quarterback coach

South Carolina OC Marcus Satterfield

Another member of Rhule's original coaching staff who jumped to the college ranks after his first season; has a more extensive background with Rhule than Peetz and Ryan, but not Nixon

You might notice something of a pattern here 😕

Callihan does offer one "outside the box" option in Doug Pederson but acknowledges that it could be a long shot.