• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

General Coaching News

Mr. Scot

Tidbits of coaching related info from around the league...

Raidable Staffs: This time of year, I like to look at which coaching staffs appear most likely to be fired and what assistants might be available from them. SI's Conor Orr did a write-up of that sort, listing the Bears, Raiders, Texans, Broncos and Jaguars as strong possibilities. General speculation is that the Vikings now might also be on that list after their loss to the Lions. The Bears staff in particular has a guy that I've coveted for years in OL coach Juan Castillo.

Coaching Free Agents: Mentioned before that Doug Pederson isn't currently on staff anywhere so he wouldn't require permission to interview for an OC job or anything of that sort. Pederson isn't the only one though. Turns out that Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy and quarterback coach Mike Kafka both have contracts that expire at the end of this season. If they're not renewed, they could conceivably be available for lateral moves. Mind you, this would require that they want to leave Andy Reid and the Chiefs organization.

Carroll Vulnerable? Might sound shocking, but there is some speculation on this front, with owner Paul Allen's widow reportedly unhappy with him. Talk is more than he might retire than be fired. If he does leave, maybe Scott Fitterer could reach out to OC Shane Waldron.

Stewart in an Odd Spot: Panthers VP of Player Personnel Pat Stewart is one of the Panthers top front office decision makers, but he could be in a little bit of an odd spot right now because he was brought aboard as a Matt Rhule ally. If Rhule winds up on the outs, what does that mean for Stewart?

Other Front Office Options: Upheaval in Seattle might also give Fitterer the option to poach his old co-worker Trent Kirchner from the Seahawks. Kirchner would be equally familiar to Dan Morgan and actually got his start working in Carolina. Also among guys with former Panther connections, Bills assistant scouting director Lake Dawson once interviewed for the GM job here and is a guy I'd love to see Morgan lure away from Buffalo.

• Beer 1

Any former notable NFL coaches in the college ranks that would be willing to make their way back to the NFL?  I'm not taking about quality control-types or assistants to assistant coaches.  I'm talking like Pete Carroll when he left college to come back to the NFL to take the Seahawk's gig.

I'm a causal college football guy until draft season, so I'm not fully up on the college coaching landscape other than what's in the headlines.

Edited by 45catfan

Just now, t96 said:

Just throwing this out there but be prepared for it... As the smoke blows away in the coming years, there's a chance Gruden is given another chance in this league. And there's a chance it could be Tepper giving him that chance.

Not this quick.  Gruden has to rebuild his reputation and that is going to take a few years.  I don't think Rhule has that long.  Hopefully the next HC does well enough that he won't need to be replaced for a long time.

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

Just throwing this out there but be prepared for it... As the smoke blows away in the coming years, there's a chance Gruden is given another chance in this league. And there's a chance it could be Tepper giving him that chance.

I could maybe buy into Gruden getting another chance down the road if nothing else happened after, but he sealed his fate in regard to coaching opportunities once he sued the NFL/Goodell.  He's blackballed.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Would the Seachickens be willing to poach Fritts for a 2nd? That would be my wish if that ownership finally decided to show up and do something. 

I'm on the fence with Fitterer but I don't understand wanting to pick more staff from that org. They've been almost as irrelevant as the Panthers the last few years and they have Russell Wilson ready to skip town.

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm on the fence with Fitterer but I don't understand wanting to pick more staff from that org. They've been almost as irrelevant as the Panthers the last few years and they have Russell Wilson ready to skip town.

Meh, it was never a great hire and his positives are out weighed by the negatives IMO. Some here just want to blame it on all Rhule but he had a hand in this mess. The fact Rhule liked him and wanted him here is the kiss of death. His evaluation skills are terrible and that is his forte (exceprt CB of course, that is golden lol). 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, t96 said:

Tepper would never hire a racist like that.