• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article about Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett

Ricky Spanish

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Mentioned it elsewhere, but thanks to an NFL rule change made earlier this year, any team that fires a coach midseason can start interviewing prospects for their next head coach two weeks before the season ends.

Tepper fired both Rivera and Hurney in season, so if he is ready to move on from Rhule it'd be no surprise to see it happen before the year is over.

Granted, that's a huge "if"...

Swing open the doors, let Rhule bounce once at the curb, then find this guy to hire!

The coach will live a die by the coordinators he chooses.  Whoever the next HC candidate is for the job better have great answers to that question.  As many have pointed out being a good coordinator does not equate to a great head coach.  A great motivator is only part of the job. 

• Pie 1

Thread is fail....sounds an awful lot like Rhule when we were looking at him. Some of you have a very short memory

2 hours ago, HammerinCameron said:

Yeah I’m sure it’s not just Aaron Rodgers making Hackett look good .. are you serious?

OC’s are so overrated .. great players on offense make OC’s

Also this...come on guys. You actually think Bieniemy is a good coach too?

Hackett definitely seems good on paper.  

I would be extremely happy with the choice, but the realist in my also knows that every year some "hot coordinator" gets a HC job and they often fail.

Everyone keeps thinking in terms of two options, keep Rhule, Fire Rhule, but there could be a third.  What if Tepper keeps Rhule unless he knows for sure he can get the next coach he wants?

For example Tepper might be willing to make a change for Hackett, but if not you wait another year.  I'm not saying that is what you should do, but sometimes when you fire a guy its dependent on who you have lined up to replace them.

57 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The coach will live a die by the coordinators he chooses.  Whoever the next HC candidate is for the job better have great answers to that question.  As many have pointed out being a good coordinator does not equate to a great head coach.  A great motivator is only part of the job. 

I've looked at some of his associations. Here are a few of the options.

For offensive coordinator...

Packers QB Coach Luke Getsy - considered a young coach on the rise, one article said he's "bound to get a coordinator job soon"

Raiders OC Greg Olson - longtime West Coast OC with a solid rep, worked with Hackett in Jacksonville

Jaguars OC Brian Schottenheimer - if the Jags staff is let go, former associate of Hackett's dad Paul via his dad Marty

On the defensive side...

Packers DB Coach Jerry Gray - veteran DC with a good resumé

Raiders DC Gus Bradley - worked with Hackett in Jacksonville and Fitterer in Seattle

Titans Senior Defensive Assistant Jim Schwartz - one of the top defensive minds in the league, worked with Hackett back in Buffalo (my top choice)

Former Packers DC Mike Pettine - previous Packers colleague, has been a good DC but was fired in Green Bay

Bills LB Coach Bob Babich - was DC with Hackett in Jacksonville, long and solid resumé going back to being Ron Rivera's successor in Chicago

Wade Phillips - needs no introduction, worked with Hackett's dad, wants to be a DC again but up there in years

Lotta good position coach possibilities too...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, HammerinCameron said:

Remember when you wanted Dan Campbell

I’m not sure if you are saying this disparagingly, but Dan Campbell has looked more than OK with absolutely nothing in Detroit. His team has been fighting and in a ton of games they have had no business being in. 

If he can draft well and get the right qb, he’s gonna make for a good coach in Detroit. 

If you want to jump Mr Scot’s poo, there is plenty of source material based on his feelings about Brandon Beane when he was originally rumored to be Marty’s successor. 

Edited by bigdog10
  • Pie 1