• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers haven’t fixed their problems in 2 years of Matt Rhule. They’re making new ones - at CO

ladypanther

3 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I has always been worrisome to me that Tepper admitted Matt Rhule was Marty Hunrey choice as HC

Hurney has selected, or been a part of the selection, for our last 2 coaches Fox and Rivera. Now Rhule and he is literally just another Rivera which is no surprise. Never understood why people said Rhule was offensive minded coach. His college teams offenses have always been mediocre to bad. SInce 2001 we have had the exact same type of coaches. 

• Beer 2

21 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I has always been worrisome to me that Tepper admitted Matt Rhule was Marty Hunrey choice as HC

big azz red flare...Tep needs to surround himself with actual football people...but i guess he doesnt have time cause...u know the rock hill sht....the soccer sht....hosin his wife on friday night...no time.

Edited by Pimpdaddy

45 minutes ago, KSpan said:

...the Rhule hire and all that stuff about analytics and setting up a sport science program that we've never heard anything else about since then

The Eagles did that a while back. About two years later, they found they weren't getting any real value out of it and mercifully put an end to the thing.

It's okay though. Ours will be different! Our version will work! 👍

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's part of my issue with Tepper though. He wants to be the smartest guy in the room...but he's not. 

Every once in a while the league gets someone who wants to do  things different than the norm because he thinks it'll be innovative. Such folks frequently find out that there's good reason why things are done a certain way.

Yup. There are prototypes for a reason.

Ruhle did at least fix one issue he inherited.  When he took over, the defense was old and terrible.  2019 was far and away the worst Panthers defense I have ever seen.  Last year's was slightly better.   This year's defense, while not great, has moved into the top 10 and is young enough to stay there for a few years.  

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Ruhle did at least fix one issue he inherited.  When he took over, the defense was old and terrible.  2019 was far and away the worst Panthers defense I have ever seen.  Last year's was slightly better.   This year's defense, while not great, has moved into the top 10 and is young enough to stay there for a few years.  

And it only took 15 draft choices and signing Hassan Reddick.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

And it only took 15 draft choices and signing Hassan Reddick.

11 I think, if you are counting defensive picks under Rhule. 

But free agent signings and draft picks are how you fix things in the NFL.  The issue is not that they did it wrong on the defensive side, its more that they didn't follow the same pattern on the offensive side. 

Instead of signing Bridgewater and then trading picks for Darnold, should have drafted a qb this past year, and drafted more offensive linemen.  Should have kept Bridgewater for another year, drafted Fields or Jones, let them sit for a year while we rebuild the oline.    

And as good as Marshall might eventually be, probably should have gone with a heavier concentration on oline during the second and third day.  I never understood the rationale behind drafting Marshall while extending/paying Anderson.  

• Beer 3

4 hours ago, ladypanther said:

These young sports writers at the Observer are giving us something different. Got the feeling the older ones would criticize or predict against the Panthers just to prove they were not homers.  These young ones like Ellis (the newest) and Luke seem to be giving a lot more content.  Hope Tepper is reading them.  

(He'll probably try to get them fired...lol)

They’re having to shift strategy. With the Panthers scaling back access in favor of in-house media (which is typically favorable), CO is being more critical to differentiate.

I guess the Panthers could retaliate but it’s not like there’s much more they could do considering how much they’ve already cut off external media. They killed off all the leverage they had.

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, Tbe said:

They’re having to shift strategy. With the Panthers scaling back access in favor of in-house media (which is typically favorable), CO is being more critical to differentiate.

I guess the Panthers could retaliate but it’s not like there’s much more they could do considering how much they’ve already cut off external media. They killed off all the leverage they had.

I think these guys are doing a great job of analyzing, i.e., doing their job well.

5 hours ago, KSpan said:

I suspect Dave/Hurney/both though he/they might be outsmarting the NFL/ahead of the curve with the Rhule hire and all that stuff about analytics and setting up a sport science program that we've never heard anything else about since then. Unfortunately, the rest of the package seems to be lacking.

The sports science program is being ran by this guy…

15FE7F8D-98DF-420A-9E1B-584D3A34E89A.jpeg

• Pie 3