• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is D Brown a bust?

RJK

22 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

No. He has had a terrible, Baylor assistant dline coach, coaching him at the NFL level... Still a slightly above average DT. Need to pair him with another guy in a year or two. 

There was a camp confidential thing with a Baylor CB coach, and he was like just cheerleading a practice teaching nothing. There is zero mentorship for these players from this staff. It's like 50 people learning on the job and 10 vets frustrated but needing the paycheck

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Rhule is the bust. Brown showed significant promise last year. Everyone has regressed this year. There are so many glaring signs that our coaching is just flat out not NFL caliber. If Brown doesn't bounce back next year under a new staff then I'll be concerned about him. If there's not a new staff next year, then we're fuged anyway so who cares?

Yeah, Rhule sucks but posters blaming Rhule for literally every players poor performance is becoming a lazy take. These takes completely eliminate player accountability for their underwhelming performance. Yeah my boss sucks too, but I don’t blame him if I have a bad day at work. Maybe you do though. Brown is a bust. But blame Rhule for a DT’s performance..One more time, a DT. I wonder how Reddick and Burns overcame Rhule? 

• Pie 1

No doubt Brown isn't performing as expected, and I thought he was actually better/more consistent last year. 

Now, I'm not calling him a bust yet because of several factors. First off, we knew he wasn't a pass rusher, but thought he would be a run stuffer with occasional QB pressure. Second, why has he regressed? Is it coaching? Third, who is there to help him in the run game? The guys playing DT next to him should not be seeing significant playing time in the NFL. Then on the outside, as good as Burns and Redick are at getting after the QB, they are just as bad at setting the edge. Then you have Carter who is just not the answer at all. When the guy actually does make a read he misses the tackle. Gross-Matos seems good against the run, but dude is off the field more than he is on.

NFL teams and coaches see this on film, they know where and how to attack our deficiencies. 

10 hours ago, Gipetto said:

I remember everyone calling Luke a bust before he switched positions. I remember Charles Johnson being a bust before his third season. The more things change the more they stay the same. 

A lot of people didn’t like the pick at first, but no one called Luke a bust. Luke had an immediate impact from snap 1 of his career. Charles Johnson was a 3rd round pick not pick 7. Also, how many players get it together after year 2? A small minority. Johnson was an outlier. If you don’t show much after year two, most likely you’re JAG

Edited by flagfootballcoach28

12 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I’m willing to give him more time, but the fact is he doesn’t demand double teams.  He gets taken care of by 1 lineman.  That isn’t a DT you draft in the top 10.

Note: This was posted earlier under a different thread. I didn't realize this thread was on the forum until this morning.

Derrick Brown is about to enter his 3rd season. Unless he makes a drastic improvement with his on the field performance in 2022, there is no way I'd pick up his 5th year option for 2024. I'd go into 2023 with a plan to let him walk at the end of the year.

A DT should not be drafted in the TOP 10 unless he's a pass rushing force like Warren Sapp, Aaron Darnold, Randy White, Mean Joe Green, John Randall), an immovable force in the run game, or a very good balance between the two. Derrick Brown has yet to prove he's either one. He's an ok player, but if he weren't on the team would we really be that much worse?

DB seems to be a more of a complimentary player in/on a good defense, not a centerpiece to build around. We could have found someone later in the draft who would have played just as well. I think we'll have to address DT in the next two years unless he balls out in 2022.