• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper embarrassed by Rhule. Rhule lost locker room.

Ja  Rhule

1 hour ago, Ja Rhule said:

Yet, Rhule is set to return in 2022. 

The Athletic's Joseph Person reports Panthers owner David Tepper is "unhappy and embarrassed" by the team's performance under head coach Matt Rhule. 

Rhule, who has lost 21 of his 31 games as Carolina's head coach, said this week that Tepper has “nothing but confidence about me and the future and moving forward." Often citing "the process," Rhule has preached patience with his underperforming Panthers, who have flailed wildly over the past year in search of a franchise quarterback. They inexplicably settled on Sam Darnold before the 2021 NFL Draft, only to see him flounder after a promising start to the season. Panthers players have reportedly grown deeply skeptical of Rhule's "process," criticizing his micromanaging approach to coaching. “The proof’s in the pudding,” said one veteran personnel official. “The product on the field is bad.” Expect 2022 to be Rhule's final year as Carolina's head coach barring a miraculous turnaround. 

He won't get fired for at least another year and a half. Tepper invested seven years into this contract, and as a businessman, he either goes the Dan Snyder route and throws money around, or won't throw away that investment too quickly. It will have to play out. Rhule is here until at least year five.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

The thing is Rhule as a person, much like Rivera, is probably pretty awesome. He'd be on a boat somewhere off myrtle and is probably cool to talk to. He might not even be that bad of a coach, but this is the NFL, and he is in way over his head, and it's his fault for not bringing in anyone and i mean ANYONE with NFL experience. However, that's more on Tepper for letting that happen.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

He won't get fired for at least another year and a half. Tepper invested seven years into this contract, and as a businessman, he either goes the Dan Snyder route and throws money around, or won't throw away that investment too quickly. It will have to play out. Rhule is here until at least year five.

Rhule's contract is small pototoes.....given David Tepper is trying to maximize the return in a NFL team and a MLS team.   And if Rhule makes Tepper look incomptetent, which he does, that is going to impact the return he can make on BOTH his professional sport teams. 

and NFL contracts have offset clauses.  So unless you are arguing Matt Rhule is going to retire for the next 5 years and not coach......Carolina isn't going to be on the hook for his entire contract anyway. 

I won't pay a nickel to watch Matt Rhule and Jimmy G waste our time in 2022.  I won't be alone.  And I won't support his MLS team because of that.  And I would have if Tepper gave me a reason to support him.  I alone am meaningless.  But I won't be alone in that. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, onmyown said:

It’s not so bad really. I know as fans we hate it but we have a gutted draft and cap is looking like garbage after resigning needed players, Darnold still paid etc. 2022 already was mortgaged for Rhule.

As I have said over and over you don’t let Rhule touch 2023 picks and you make him keep Darnold, even if he drafts a qb, make sure he understands he’ll sit. This was his plan and this was his process.

When he fails you’ll have a ridiculous amount of cap available, a top pick and full draft, key players rookie contracts coming up the new regimen can decide on.

I mean I know this may sound like silver lining stuff but this is the best path for success.

I overall agree with this take and don't feel the Panthers job is as unattractive as many say it is (assuming that Tepper can stay out of things). Even if Rhule gets fired this year, there is a pretty reasonable amount of skill position talent on the team and if the OL gets upgraded and an actual NFL-caliber coach/coordinator comes in I think they could muscle through the darkness of next season and be in a pretty good spot in 2023.

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

Rhule's contract is small pototoes.....given David Tepper is trying to maximize the return in a NFL team and a MLS team.   

and NFL contracts have offset clauses.  So unless you are arguing Matt Rhule is going to retire for the next 5 years and not coach......Carolina isn't going to be on the hook for his entire contract anyway. 

that money is guaranteed for Rhule. Tepper would be paying him plus another coach. Not happening.

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The contract is a sunk cost, a la Teddy last year. Smart businessmen know when to cut their losses and move on, particularly when there are much bigger dollars and overall fan sentiment and engagement at stake. This is looking like such a time.

• Beer 3

24 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I do not see Tepper, eager to put a winning product on the field, willing to lose another year on the CHANCE that he gets the #1 overall pick.

How do you know he is "eager to put a winning product on the field?" 

I'll play the skeptic here and point out that Tepper is making mad money regardless of the team's performance. He can say he wants a winning product on the field, but when the PSLs are sold (guaranteed money) and the TV deal is done (guaranteed money), what else does he need?

The Dallas Cowboys are one the highest valued professional sports teams in the world and huess what? They haven't won dick in the last 25 years. The Panthers have had more post season success since 1996 than Dallas has, made more post season appearances and essentially ended Dallas post season run on January 5, 1997 when the Panthers beat them 26-17. 

I'm not convinced Tepper is all that invested in putting a winning product ion the field, he's a savvy money-man and he's doing just fine putting this brand of dog food out there every week. Sure, he could spend a ton of money and pay for a decent team, but his bottom line doesn't get that much better one way or the other.

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The thing is Rhule as a person, much like Rivera, is probably pretty awesome. He'd be on a boat somewhere off myrtle and is probably cool to talk to. He might not even be that bad of a coach, but this is the NFL, and he is in way over his head, and it's his fault for not bringing in anyone and i mean ANYONE with NFL experience. However, that's more on Tepper for letting that happen.

Eh I don’t like that comparison at all.

Rivera is adored by his players in a similar way that Dan Campbell is. Rhule on the other hand has his own players giving him the side eye during games.

If he truly does have duplicate personalities on and off the football field then that is a huge red flag. Sports at there finite level are supposed to teach life lessons. Rhule on the other hand seems more inclined to just collect a paycheck rather than coach or let alone teach anything.

Rivera wasn’t the best coach but his players loved him and you can tell that they still do to this day by the way that they interact with him during reunions and such.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

05onfire1_xp-facebookJumbo.jpg?year=2016

Why would anyone in the world want to start a new regimen with Darnold, a gutted draft, zero cap to work with, and a single top pick in the worst QB class in a decade? Plus add in the fact this is NOT a top destination for coaches. You would only attract bottom fruit, think about it.

I just see what you guys clearly can’t. 2022 was given to Rhule the moment he was allowed to trade away its resources.

Nah, I’d rather the new regimen have all they need.

Since Tepper already fuged up - a short leash on Rhule is better for long term health at this point. But I suppose there are always limits and Rhule is skirting them.

• Pie 2