• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Holy poo balls this is bad.

Zod

3 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

Well, the alternative is we put the new head coach in an absolutely no win situation with the worst qb situation since the pre baker browns, 1 draft pick in the top 100, the highest paid running back in the nfl who can’t stay healthy, and a defensive unit which may only fit this bizarre college scheme that snow is running. 

That next head coach is doomed to fail from the get go.  I’d rather the next head coach be able to walk into a more stable situation with a plethora of draft picks, the cmc contract becoming more workable, and out from under the Darnold mistake. 

Nah, get Rhule the f out of here. New coaching staff can get assurances that we know we are fuged for 2022, but to play young players, with an eye towards 2023. Another year for Rhule leads to desperation on his part to try to even do more short sighted stuff, ie trade away future picks for current players like he did with darnold.

3 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

You didn’t read my last paragraph. 

Also, if you think we are even remotely close to contending next year, I’ve got some ocean front property in Arizona with your name on it. 

We are one of the worst teams in football right now. The only team I’d feel comfortable betting on us to beat would be the Jags and that would be a tight game. 

Don’t think we’re close to contending next year but as I stated in my prior post, if we fix the o-line in the draft and get a new coaching staff, we can get to .500 next season. That’s 2 or 3 more wins than this season with the same players plus using our draft picks on lineman. With better coaching and lineman we could’ve beaten the likes of the Giants, Eagles and probably the Vikings at home. 

Once our coaching and o-line situation improved we could attract a better QB in free agency or a trade and be contenders in 2023. 2023 is not next season. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

Well, the alternative is we put the new head coach in an absolutely no win situation with the worst qb situation since the pre baker browns, 1 draft pick in the top 100, the highest paid running back in the nfl who can’t stay healthy, and a defensive unit which may only fit this bizarre college scheme that snow is running. 

That next head coach is doomed to fail from the get go.  

I don't see it as such a bad situation.  There are a number of obvious steps that a coach could take to START turning things around right away:

• The biggest problem is the OL so fix it with your first two draft picks.  Take a blue chip LT with pick #7.  Christensen starts at LG.  Maybe Deonte Brown even starts to contribute at RG.  Now you likely have an improved OL with decent pass protection and some push in the running game.
  • Darnold is around for another year so have him play as a game manager QB - dink and dunk
  • All World CMC will be back.  Play him at slot receiver to keep him healthy & on the field
  • Horn is coming back from injury.  He's like having another 1st round pick.
  • The entire 2021 draft class has some experience in the pro game now.  Rhule has criminally underused and underdeveloped them but many of those players were well respected on draft day.
  • Hire an Offensive Coordinator with years of NFL play calling experience.

This doesn't fix all of the team problems (obviously our QB situation still needs to be resolved).  But it would be a step in the right direction toward becoming a competitive (and competent) team. 

From the article...

Anderson said in a phone interview last week. “How often have you seen a coach go into a situation and in Year 2 take them to the Super Bowl?”

The answer is 10 times, and the list includes John Fox, who guided the Panthers to the Super Bowl in his second season.

Robby probably shouldn't try out for the debate team anytime soon.

• Pie 7

Another excerpt, one that echoes what a couple of guys on here have said regarding team employees not liking Rhule's management style...

Rhule said his process is “1,000 percent working,” even if the results don’t show it. There is growing skepticism among some Panthers players about whether that’s the case. Many of the 20-plus players, staffers, team and league sources interviewed for this story believe the same attributes that made Rhule a successful college coach are undermining his efforts in the NFL.

They say Rhule — like a lot of ex-college coaches used to controlling every facet of the program — has the tendency to micromanage “everything that touches football,” as one source put it. Rhule has the final say on roster decisions, although he called that a formality when general manager Scott Fitterer was hired in January, saying the two would work collaboratively.

Fitterer said the arrangement is similar to the setup in Seattle with head coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider. But where Carroll had been an NFL and college head coach before being hired in Seattle in 2010, Rhule’s only previous NFL experience was a one-year stint as the Giants’ assistant offensive line coach in 2012 under Tom Coughlin.

Rhule, who turns 47 in January, has leaned heavily on his Temple and Baylor connections in building his staff and roster. And though more than half of the assistants on Rhule’s first Panthers staff had at least some NFL experience, none had been an NFL head coach or coordinator.

“The proof’s in the pudding,” said one veteran personnel official. “The product on the field is bad.”

• Pie 5

Please just fire him now and get it over with.  I'd prefer to see what a new coach can do with this team after purging the Temple/Baylor faction.

Imagine what Hackett, Bienemy, Eferblus, etc. could do.  Who they could bring in.  How they could work with Fit as a tandem and not grand surveyor.  

2022 could be shaky but they focus on building an OL, getting tougher on D and then land a QB in '23.

I have to think that's the path out of this hell.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm leaning more and more toward being done with the Panthers if Rhule is brought back. I mean DONE done. I've already watched my last Rhule coached Panthers game a couple weeks ago but bringing Rhule back for another year just shows me that Tepper is an insurmountable problem.

You'll be right here cheering the Panthers on after they draft Howell.

If this is true and there isn't any other context, such as the response being to a question from a player about why Rhule isn't taking a college job, just give Rhule his walking papers. In that scenario the idea maybe right but Rhule clearly just has no idea how to articulate.

3 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

I think a lot of the things Rhule says/does might work with teenagers - DBO sign,  "I could be the coach at Alabama but I choose to stay here", etc.  However these things don't fly with 30 year old guys who can see right through him.  

Honestly, even rec leaguers would tell him to GTFO with that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1