• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell declares for the draft

Varking

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Personally, IF I did draft a qb like Pickett or Howell, he sits the entire first year, ala Mahomes.  Then spend every remaining pick on the oline, spend next years picks on the oline, spend most of our free agent dollars on the oline.  In the meantime, throw Darnold out there since we have to pay him an arm and a leg next year.  

Let me get this straight. You would sit 23 year old Kenny Pickett who has played 5 years of college football?   What’s the point of drafting him if he is not going to play?   Mahomes is an oddity.  

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

We are never going to agree because you believe taking a QB, regardless of ability, is the right move. It's a move the fails very often and one that bad franchises are well known for. I get the theory behind what you are saying but in practice it doesn't work out very often.

I say don't reach on a prospect. If you have the best QB in this draft as a late first round or second round grade, then you draft accordingly.

Hence why I would avoid these QB's with our pick.

I’ve never said you draft one regardless, just this idea that you build the oline first and a great QB prospect will be waiting on you in the future is dangerous. 
It’s a lot easier to build a decent Oline than finding an elite QB, if you like a guy you better roll the dice.

I'm not sure I would roll pick #6 dice on one of these QBs, but I am  it convinced trams will have late first round grades on all of them. Maybe they should

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Let me get this straight. You would sit 23 year old Kenny Pickett who has played 5 years of college football?   What’s the point of drafting him if he is not going to play?   Mahomes is an oddity.  

Because QBs are washed up at 29 like RBs?

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I’ve never said you draft one regardless, just this idea that you build the oline first and a great QB prospect will be waiting on you in the future is dangerous. 
It’s a lot easier to build a decent Oline than finding an elite QB, if you like a guy you better roll the dice.

I'm not sure I would roll pick #6 dice on one of these QBs, but I am  it convinced trams will have late first round grades on all of them. Maybe they should

I don't think you need to build the OL first, you need to take good players. The far, far, far better players are at OL.

And, yes, great QB prospects will be there in the future. They don't stop making those, although you sometimes get drafts like 2022 where there isn't one.

I am sure more than one team will overdraft a QB. It literally happens almost every year.

Edited by kungfoodude

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Definitely.  A rookie qb is a rookie qb regardless of age.  2 years or 4 years in college doesn't really prepare you for the NFL.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

14 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Yep...get big and tough in the trenches...win at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and you've got a football team.

You are correct. Skill positions are important but football games are won or lost in the trenches. The Panthers defensive line is still somewhatl weak against the run and you know the deal on the below average offensive line.

8 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

8 pages on a topic about Sam Howell and not one person has listed his strengths and/or reasons why he'll be a great qb (or just reasons to draft him in general). 

He throws a good deep ball and seems to be a leader in the lockerroom.  That however doesnt come close to offsetting his cons and in no way should propel him to pick 6. 

• Pie 1