• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reddick or Burns, who you keeping? Why?

BurnNChinn

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That thought's crossed my mind.

Haven't really sat down to flesh out how practical it'd be.

Snow's D is just too light without that extra guy up front. I would be interested to see what you come up with. Hell, even a 3-3-5 would be better (with Chinn it's really 3-3.5-4.5). It would also be swell if the 2 or 3 guys upfront were getting more push. 

1 hour ago, Zaximus said:

Reddick.  Burns hasn't improved.  He's still the same guy that is iffy against the run and whiffs on a lot of plays.  He's not bad by any measure but Reddick feels like a more complete player.  If we can't keep Reddick, obviously keep Burns.  But if you can sign Reddick and get picks this year for Burns (we desperately need them) that may be worth it.  It's a hard choice because Burns "could" leave and fix these issues and get better but he also could never improve.  Reddick is probably what he's always going to be and is the better player right now imo.  Ages does have to factor though and we aren't winning a Super Bowl next year etc.

Burns is already producing close to 10 sacks per year and is still growing and learning the ways of the NFL. He’s also the younger than some rookies coming out (the guy is 23 years old). He’s a building block for a team if I’ve ever seen one.

Edited by WarPanthers89

18 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Burns is already producing close to 10 sacks per year and is still growing and learning the ways of the NFL. He’s also the younger than some rookies coming out (the guy is 23 years old). He’s a building block for a team if I’ve ever seen one.

He hasn't learned anything, he's the same player he was when we drafted him.  He's good no doubt, not saying that.  But he misses more sacks than he gets each season and is a liability in the run game.  But I agree he COULD have more potential and is younger.

14 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

He hasn't learned anything, he's the same player he was when we drafted him.  He's good no doubt, not saying that.  But he misses more sacks than he gets each season and is a liability in the run game.  But I agree he COULD have more potential and is younger.

I respect your opinion but I think you are selling him short a little bit. Again he is 23 and look at some stats from all edge defenders from the 2020 and 2021 season and this is where he lands:

Burns among edge defenders | 2020-21
Pass Rush Grade 84.7 11th
Total Pressures 120 9th
Sacks 19 12th
Pass Rush Productivity 8.2 14th
Pressure Percentage 14.2% 16th
Batted Passes 6 7th
Forced Fumbles 5 7th
Defensive Stops 58 12th

2 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I respect your opinion but I think you are selling him short a little bit. Again he is 23 and look at some stats from all edge defenders from the 2020 and 2021 season and this is where he lands:

Burns among edge defenders | 2020-21
Pass Rush Grade 84.7 11th
Total Pressures 120 9th
Sacks 19 12th
Pass Rush Productivity 8.2 14th
Pressure Percentage 14.2% 16th
Batted Passes 6 7th
Forced Fumbles 5 7th
Defensive Stops 58 12th

I'm not really arguing any of that.  But how many times do we see this guy just run right past the play and contribute nothing?  He should have 20 sacks a year honestly.  But I don't disagree he's young and there IS potential, and a lot of it possibly.  

5 hours ago, stirs said:

We have no identity on defense.

We have a mix of 34 and 43 guys and sometimes look great, other times look horrible.

We probably need to decide who we are on defense before signing guys to long term deals because 50% of the time, they look good

If we run a 34, then Burns and Reddick will be great as OLB's, if not.....

Agreed here. Burns is meant for a 3-4. He doesn't have the size for what we're trying to do and it shows in run support.