• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Worst Kept Secret at the Senior bowl (Panthers Interest in Pickett)

ncfan

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

Huddle - we must draft a QB and take a chance on hitting on a prospect 

Huddle 1 year later - it’s stupid to draft a QB with our top 10 pick

I have no issues taking Pickett if we address the OL in free agency.  Sign a C and OG/OT, lean on BC and Brown, and grab a QB to generate some dang excitement.  

All draft years aren't don't present comparable prospects.   This isn't a QB heavy draft class.  Throw all these guys in last year's class....and none go in the first round. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

I have no issues taking Pickett if we address the OL in free agency.  Sign a C and OG/OT, lean on BC and Brown, and grab a QB to generate some dang excitement.  

I don't think Pickett is garbage, but I do fear he's that "guy who made a lot of money out of being good for a short time" kind of player, i.e. the kind of guy who never replicates his college success at the pro level.

14 minutes ago, joemac said:

If we don't draft a LT at 6 I might, seriously, literally, be done with this team for a while.  No point in drafting a QB this year if the line is just gonna be the same dog poo we've seen for the past few years.  We don't have 20 mil a season laying around to just sign a guy like Armstead, and we have seen what discount shopping for o linemen in free agency gets you.  

There are some great looking Uglies this year.

And I'm worried that just like so many other years, we're going to miss out on them 🤬

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Taking Pickett would trap us in QB purgatory for the next 5 years. He'd be just good enough to not be replaced but he's never going to be elite. Think Alex smith or Joe Flaco. If I'm taking a QB in the top 10 he needs to have the ability to be a super star. 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I see people talking about Willis like he's another Cam Newton.

When I do, I always wonder if those people actually remember how good Cam Newton was.

Willis is nowhere near that good. And he's certainly not the freakish athlete Newton was.

Really good analysis on him. 

Basically his ceiling is high, he's got a good arm, great accuracy, mobile and extends plays.

He's a one read guy, makes really bad decisions, played at a small school, he has some happy feet, makes some "F" it throws where he just tosses up the ball to see what happens, hes a developmental QB that will take time. 

Overall he has gifts that can be harnessed but again, with this coaching staff...yeah no. Pass. He's getting hyped up tho, but nothing like Lamar or Allen. He's like this years Trey Lance. More like a watered down version. More like Jordan love. 

I think Pickett can still be a fine pro, and he clearly possesses traits where I can see why he could be a desirable option for some teams.

I do find it hilarious though that he's apparently been a disaster at the Senior Bowl (which, really, shouldn't matter THAT much) but we're just over there smitten with him lol.

Just now, Ivan The Awesome said:

Basically his ceiling is high, he's got a good arm, great accuracy, mobile and extends plays.

He's a one read guy, makes really bad decisions, played at a small school, he has some happy feet, makes some "F" it throws where he just tosses up the ball to see what happens, hes a developmental QB that will take time. 

Overall he has gifts that can be harnessed but again, with this coaching staff...yeah no. Pass. He's getting hyped up tho, but nothing like Lamar or Allen. He's like this years Trey Lance. More like a watered down version. More like Jordan love. 

He's definitely a guy that you have to have a clear developmental plan for if you draft him. He should be redshirting regardless. Very similar with how the Bills handled Allen, bring him along slowly and coach the hell out of him.

I don't trust this staff to do any of those things. Really, for Malik's sake, I hope he ends up somewhere else.

Just now, FuFuLamePoo said:

I think Pickett can still be a fine pro, and he clearly possesses traits where I can see why he could be a desirable option for some teams.

I do find it hilarious though that he's apparently been a disaster at the Senior Bowl (which, really, shouldn't matter THAT much) but we're just over there smitten with him lol.

What traits though? I've watched a lot of his games this week, and I don't see anything.

Weak arm, slow release, holds onto the ball too long, mediocre athlete. What's there to like?

It's weird we have this report now. This entire week has been reports of teams cooling on Pickett. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Smithers said:

We actually have plenty of cap space available.  Over 100 million next year.  Plenty of way to work a contract to avoid a big hit this year.  I have zero doubt we are going to be active in FA along the OL.  And there is plenty of talent hitting the market.  Remember, we may be able to get away with signing a top G and C and rolling with BC at LT and Brown at RG.  

Yeah we have 100 mil in cap space, but how many players do we have under contract for that season?  

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

This is where I'm at. I'm sold on his physical talent. I'm not sold on him actually being a QB. I'm definitely NOT sold on our staff being able to develop him.

• Pie 4

57 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Yep. All first round QBs last year are better than any of these prospects. How many of those turned out to be worth the pick?

Rhule, mcadoo, and the rest of that staff need a QB to save their jobs. Only Fitts can save the org from these bad choices and I’m not sure he has the power.

You may be right, but one thing I know is that we won't know that for certain until they actually start playing on Sundays.  Draft analyst get it wrong a lot.