• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top O linemen free agents from the Athletic that can help end our nightmare….

WarPanthers89

This is one of the best Free Agencies for offensive lineman in years. Basically all of the best offensive linemen from the past 4 or five years are all due up for their second and probably last big contracts.

Cant wait for Matt Rhule to screw the pooch.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

A good OL works as a unit, which from communications and consistency in both personnel and the positions they play.  Versatility is great......for depth purposes.  I've said this before, but we wind up with "jacks of all trades and masters of none," even though the guys might be masters at one position if given a chance to prove that.  I'd much rather have starters that are accomplished at one OL position, perhaps decent at another, and depth that can move around than a bunch of guys that can line up anywhere but impress no one while doing it.

At this point, if we can fill any holes with a sub-30 OL in FA, it would be a plus.  The way we have handled the OL thus far is a clusterf*#k.  We have Moton and two guys we drafted last year, who we have no idea whether they are part of the solution due to the way we used them (or didn't use them).  The rest are not long-term answers, and not medium-term answers, either. 

Even if somehow the stars align and we solidified our OL through this year's draft, it would mean that 4 of our 5 OL will time out of their rookie deals in 2 years, if we assume both BC and Brown work out.  That's why it is almost a must that we sign somebody out of the FA pool.  If they are under 30, maybe they are part of the long-term answer.  If not, they are placeholders to allow us to draft their replacements over time and spread out the contract pain. 

I don't know about anybody else, but I highly doubt we will be preparing for the last NFL game of the season at this time next year, so a methodical approach to this and doing it right is better than trying to fix it in the short-term.  But they actually have to start addressing it somehow.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

I feel bad for what you (and us) are about to experience…

GIF by MOODMAN

I won't be watching. I expect it to be miserable and don't think these clowns have a clue what they're doing so I'm just not that invested anymore. I'm here, it that's about the extent of it.

• Beer 1

A combination of Tomlinson, Allen, and Cappa would be really nice for this line. 

My concern is would they even want to come here unless they are being paid a premium since this team is a clusterfug right now?  I know money talks and bullcrap walks, but the market for these guys is going to be hot.  I don't know if we have the cap space for two solid OL additions.

8 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I agree with everything that you said other than Elf showing enough at center. He was horrible, and I cringe thinking about him being depended on as our starter next season 

My bar is low. Again Im no fan and in a rare move spoke out against him numerous times. After he came back form injury and got a couple games at C under his belt; He played fairly well, you have to take in the fact on each side of him was UDFA level play. He played better than Paradis did in 2021 and full 2019 season. Simply can not fix all the problems and when you have a guy thats decent, roll with the best solution. Of course if youre able to sign/draft a clear upgrade after filling LT, LG, MLB, and maybe even TE. All for it.  

2 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

A combination of Tomlinson, Allen, and Cappa would be really nice for this line. 

My concern is would they even want to come here unless they are being paid a premium since this team is a clusterfug right now?  I know money talks and bullcrap walks, but the market for these guys is going to be hot.  I don't know if we have the cap space for two solid OL additions.

We'd be lucky to get one.  Being UFAs, they'll be dictating a lot, deciding from multiple offers.  Maybe we can have more appeal than WAS or HOU but we'll need to overpay or find a guy who randomly loves Charlotte. Plenty of quality teams with great QBs have OL needs. 

I'm just hoping we can at least land 1 that's not this perpetual mid-tier, second contract type that we overpay because we're not quality enough for the better ones. Let's get just one quality OL signing, ideally at Center.  Plz.  

• Pie 1

On 2/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, WarPanthers89 said:

Absolutely. I think if we can get C and G in free agency we will be set up well. Imagine a stud at number 6 overall at LT, Brady at LG, Stud FA Center, Stud FA RG, Moton at RT.

Bad Hair Space GIF

Honestly, i'd just worry about Guards, Elf was decent at center, just keep him there, we have to pay the guy anyway.  

3 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Honestly, i'd just worry about Guards, Elf was decent at center, just keep him there, we have to pay the guy anyway.  

I agree on guards, although we may only need one if Christensen sticks at LG next season. Elf was far from decent though. He wasn’t good at all actually and ended up with a 55 PFF along with being injury prone which he has been almost every year he has played