• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Alexander on Rhule/Fitterer/Morgan, re: roles in roster building

ellis

So Fritterer and Morgan signed on to be Rhule's yes men? Yeah we need a complete house cleaning. Either they are not as good as some hope or they knew Rhule would crash and burn eventually. Either way I am not impressed. Every bad move Rhule commanded they were willing to do? That sounds like trash.

It's time to crank it up to 11 on embarrassing Tepper.

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, davos said:

Yep. Just looking at the OL, WR and DL talent likely to be sitting in R2-3 this year makes me a sad panda.

Gave up pick 37, $18.9 mil, a 4th and 6th for Darnold. Good god. 

We could’ve just sucked with Kyle Allen this whole time. Hell, may have been better lol. 

We better get a promising young coach and QB next year after having to sit through this crap.

I always thought Grier should have been the answer.  They got a draft pick for Allen.  

2020 should have been Cam on the last year of his deal or traded and let Grier play.

Like you said looking back we would have been in a better spot at this point.

yes this is not exactly news, as it popped up a few times during the GM search, with people thinking some candidates balked at the setup in Carolina.

gotta be honest, I've done a lot of work to try to talk myself into this Rhule experiment working, and he does have some signs of decent decision-making, and I do think he has a lot of qualities that work in a leader (though to be sure he has plenty of, no, a massive amount of signs pointing in the opposite direction).

but it's a detail like this that really just sends me crashing down to earth and feeling profoundly apathetic about the near future for the Panthers. there's just no way for the organization to outgrow Rhule's limitations. he has final say, and by many accounts he has a fixation for controlling all aspects of the team, and he seems to double down on it when times are tough. maybe in another coach this would be a good thing, but the story that's being written is bad, bad, baaaaad.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Every HC wants finial say on roster decisions.  

Stop acting like this.is such a unique situation we have here. 

Wanting it, sure, but a coach contractually getting it, particularly someone like Rhule who had zero NFL experience, is not common at all.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Well I'm sorry yall think that there's many head coaches in this league that don't get say on roster decisions. 

Having a say in roster decisions vs having final say is very different.  Reminder that Belichick, the most successful coach of the last 20 years, had to trade Jimmy G against his will.

I think it's much more odd to have a GM that does NOT have final say. That is incredibly odd and dysfunctional.

• Pie 3

23 minutes ago, Waldo said:

So Fritterer and Morgan signed on to be Rhule's yes men? Yeah we need a complete house cleaning. Either they are not as good as some hope or they knew Rhule would crash and burn eventually. Either way I am not impressed. Every bad move Rhule commanded they were willing to do? That sounds like trash.

It's time to crank it up to 11 on embarrassing Tepper.

Fitterer and Morgan came aboard AFTER Rhule was hired. This falls more on Tepper for keeping Hurney around a year longer than he should although I understand the rationale. I’m of the thinking that Rhule having the final say does not mean he has total autonomy over the roster with no collaboration. As P-Claw stated earlier, the HC’s control over the roster is not unique to the Panthers, so there’s really no need for panic IMO.

7 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Well I'm sorry yall think that there's many head coaches in this league that don't get say on roster decisions. 

There are very few HCs with final roster say in the league and most of those guys earned it through years of demonstrated success. Then there's Matt Rhule. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1