• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riot: Panthers to take a major swing at QB?

WarPanthers89

I don't want to improve the QB position this year.  Why?  I don't want Rhule anywhere near our QB of the future.  His butt needs to be out the door before we get our franchise QB.  So yeah, Rhule rides with Darnold and PJ Walker this year, hopefully gets canned, and we start the REAL rebuild in 2023.

The best option is darnold goes out with an injury in week 3. Rhule desperately calls cam again to try and get him to come back. This time cam tells rhule to fug off and hangs up the phone. Rhule is forced to start PJ Walker, who is somehow still on the team. Panthers lose the next 4 games to fall to 1-6 on the year and we finish out the season with Wilks as interim coach. 

• Flames 1

9 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Rhule is really an idiot if he does this.  Jimmy G couldn't get the 49ers a Lombardi and they are STACKED.  They have a good run game, George Kittle and Deebo Samuel.  They have a very talented defense.  But he still wasn't enough.

Why would anyone think Jimmy G is going to be the answer for a significantly worse roster?  We might as well trade for Jared Goff.

Person actually mentioned something I hadn't thought about regarding Garoppolo.

Panthers VP of Player Personnel Pat Stewart was part of the Patriots scouting group that drafted him.

That connection could make a difference, dependent of course on what Stewart thinks of Garoppolo now.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Person actually mentioned something I hadn't thought about regarding Garoppolo.

Panthers VP of Player Personnel Pat Stewart was part of the Patriots scouting group that drafted him.

That connection could make a difference, dependent of course on what Stewart thinks of Garoppolo now.

"what Stewart thinks of Garoppolo now".... I hope it is based on reality and not some glorified opinion of what he could have been.

I just don’t see how getting Jimmy is a good thing. Is he better than Sam, yes, but he’s not good enough to take this team on a playoff run. Giving up picks/players for him doesn’t make sense. Like I’ve said before, giving up picks needs to be for a player that can carry teams. Jimmy isn’t that. 

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

One thing I think we can ALL agree on… the COMMANDERS is a stupid name 

when they first were announced, how do you think the Buffalo "Bills" fans felt?  The Packers (are we moving or gay?)? The Browns (Glad the owner was not named Bronkowski)?  the Saints  (dang that is a terrible football name)?  Steelers (after mill workers).  It does not matter.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've heard a hundred different huddlers say basically the same thing on this board pretty much since he bought the team.

Yet to see any of it actually play out in the real world.

I wasn’t saying, just showed a video. I don’t really believe it either. I need to see to believe. I would be a lot happier if we had a new coach!

Not advocating for this, but here's one possible scenario...

Rhule has to take a big swing on QB or he's out.  Minnesota is currently 18m over the cap without a lot of flexibility.  Cousins is soaking up 45m in cap with 35 dead if he's cut.  They have to move him.

Panthers trade Darnold (18m cap) and Bouye for Cousins (35m cap) and a 5th.

Minnesota gets cap relief of around 15-20m or so and can use their #12 pick on a QB (remember this is a new regime with a hotshot offensive mind at the wheel).  They have several nice weapons and probably see Darnold as a cheaper bridge for their new draftee.

Panthers get a proven successful QB for one year.  They keep their pick so they can add some OL talent.  The extra 5th may help as well.  They will probably need to convert some base salary to bonus for Moton and Shaq and extend DJ in order to get extra cap, but those are fairly easy adjustments as these are long-term investments. 

Edited by grimesgoat
meant to say Minn. 18m over the cap