• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we draft a QB, I want Carson Strong

Ricky Spanish

7 hours ago, top dawg said:

Dude, everything I've pretty much read says that he is an AVERAGE athlete. In today's NFL, that's not going to cut it. He's virtually a statue. I would like someone who, when the script breaks down, can ad lib and make things happen off schedule. 

His knee is a HUGE question mark that I don't want to have to deal with on any given Sunday. It could start swelling again, and then what? No thanks!

I like how you are trying to intimate that Corral will only be successful in an RPO-based offense. Like any QB coming out of college, Corral will need to grow and develop. He can do what Strong can and so much more. Plus, he's more accurate.

Avoiding pressure in the pocket isnt really an athletic thing.  It's more of just feeling the pressure and moving to help set up the blocks.  There are plenty of good qbs who dont scramble out of the pocket very often but have an excellent feel for avoiding pressure. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

Avoiding pressure in the pocket isnt really an athletic thing.  It's more of just feeling the pressure and moving to help set up the blocks.  There are plenty of good qbs who dont scramble out of the pocket very often but have an excellent feel for avoiding pressure. 

True, but it's not Strong's strong suit. It is Matt Corral's.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2

Mayock: JaMarcus Russell's Pro Day a cautionary tale

"Mayock said this morning on The Dan Patrick Show. “The best Pro Day I ever saw as a quarterback was JaMarcus Russell. . . . I’ve never seen a quarterback throw the football like that in my life”

Ultimately, Mayock said, teams can’t allow what they see in a workout to supercede what they see in game action.

“The tape work and the body of work in college has to take precedence,” Mayock said."

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, BlitzMonster said:

Mayock: JaMarcus Russell's Pro Day a cautionary tale

"Mayock said this morning on The Dan Patrick Show. “The best Pro Day I ever saw as a quarterback was JaMarcus Russell. . . . I’ve never seen a quarterback throw the football like that in my life”

Ultimately, Mayock said, teams can’t allow what they see in a workout to supercede what they see in game action.

“The tape work and the body of work in college has to take precedence,” Mayock said."

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, top dawg said:

Dude, everything I've pretty much read says that he is an AVERAGE athlete. In today's NFL, that's not going to cut it. He's virtually a statue. I would like someone who, when the script breaks down, can ad lib and make things happen off schedule. 

His knee is a HUGE question mark that I don't want to have to deal with on any given Sunday. It could start swelling again, and then what? No thanks!

I like how you are trying to intimate that Corral will only be successful in an RPO-based offense. Like any QB coming out of college, Corral will need to grow and develop. He can do what Strong can and so much more. Plus, he's more accurate.

This. Corral is the clear top qb this year. Malik is really the only guy close bc he’s got the best tools and highest ceiling. Corral probably the consensus qb1 if not for his injury he suffered in a bowl game, a game where most guys would abandon their teammates. Not corral. Fields had similar criticisms coming out of osu, lots of qbs do. Who really plays in an nfl spread offense in college? Not many. Most of those guys go top 3 in the draft anyways. Corral has the arm, accuracy, mobility, and heart to be a winner 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

True, but it's not Strong's strong suit. It is Matt Corral's.

I would not be upset with Corral at 6 honestly.

Actually might be MORE okay with him at 6, but I would want him to sit a while before he's thrown into it. 

I like Strong more for a cost/value perspective.

I feel that a trade down to acquire more picks would allow us to address the Line, and then allow us to pick Strong either in the late first or early second, and I think he's ready to start immediately. 

I think Strong and Corral have the highest ceilings in this draft, but Strong is the most ready to start right away. Corral would need some time to sit. I think both have a chance to be great QBs in the NFL.

4 hours ago, rippadonn said:

70% completion for two years in a row (not Fhules Gold) 63% the year before that, 4186yds, 36TD, 8int as a junior AND he has a golden arm too!? 

Proof is in the pudding he performs. And he's the NFL prototype. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/carson-strong/32005354-5260-6190-8574-8df4e803866b

• Medical history is a significant red flag.
  • Lacking in his pre- and post-snap response to pressure.
  • Surgeries on right knee have robbed him of mobility.
  • Unwillingness to get the ball out quickly leads to sacks.
  • Needs to prove he can become a full-field reader.
  • Will linger on primary receivers a little too long.
  • Allows high safeties to get a head-start over the top.
  • Chance-taking could backfire on him as a pro.
  • Remains to be seen if he has patience to take what defenses give him.

If Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick or Drew Brees were in this draft, most of you would all want the best of the overhyped and overrated crop of QBs because they can run and have a strong arm. You will take your media hyped falling and failing 1st round projected Mitchell Trubisky(2nd), Akili Smith(3rd), Jay Cutler(11th), Johnny Manziel(24th), or The Golden Calf of Bristol(25th) because there is no clear cut 1st rounder. Reaching for the hype instead of looking past it and recognizing the rising QBs from the back of the pack.

You could get your 1st round OL, QB, and a couple WRs/TEs for the same cost of an overvalued QB at the 6th pick. This draft is loaded with mid round talent. Thin on 1st round talent.

Do you want a QB like Mitchell Turbisky or Akili Smith with a top 10 pick instead of getting a C like Nick Mangold in the 1st round, a QB like Kurt Warner/Tom Brady in the 6th round, a WR like Steve Smith in the 3rd round, and another WR like Stefon Diggs in the 5th round? There is a center, QBs, and WRs in this draft that will give you the upside of getting the potential of these players who will be much more competitive than most of the overvalued 1st rounders.

The amount of talent and upside in the mid rounds of the 2022 draft is rare. I can't recall ever seeing this much talent packed in a draft class. I believe this is due to the covid shortened season in 2020, all the redshirts taken, and all the transfers from big schools going into the 2021 season. You may never see this much talent in a single draft for decades.

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/carson-strong/32005354-5260-6190-8574-8df4e803866b

• Medical history is a significant red flag.
  • Lacking in his pre- and post-snap response to pressure.
  • Surgeries on right knee have robbed him of mobility.
  • Unwillingness to get the ball out quickly leads to sacks.
  • Needs to prove he can become a full-field reader.
  • Will linger on primary receivers a little too long.
  • Allows high safeties to get a head-start over the top.
  • Chance-taking could backfire on him as a pro.
  • Remains to be seen if he has patience to take what defenses give him.

All that and still better than picking Pickett.

They all have negatives if you sit there and pick. 

The stats and the game tape don't lie. Scouts can knitpick anybody and find what they think is a deficiency but they can't take away those games, yards, tds. Those are real and not imagined.

Edited by rippadonn

I really liked him during the season and at the beginning of the offseason/draft build but I've veered away as I've done with basically every QB in this class.

At this point, I actually wouldn't mind going BOLA in R1 and then maybe see if a QB slips late 3rd we could make a slight trade up for.  Low risk, can easily move on for a first rounder in 2023 like Young, Haener or Stroud with a new coach.

Don't see it happening with Rhule though.  Pickett will likely be our pick folks barring Corral or Willis getting unecessary momentum/buzz around them.