• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defense may be decimated

Jmac

Just now, Shotgun said:

Yes you cant be a top 2 d if you cant stop the run.  Every time a team needed a score against us they got one.   

This. Every time they needed to run the clock out, they did. How many times did we need a stop to get one last shot at a drive only to get the ball ran down our throats? Elite d my ass. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

28 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

And Watson will play CB on defense!  Old school two-way player...

I hear he can kick, if need be.  Maybe even be the long snapper on punts!

Here is my issue with the whole mess.  Rivera basically had the same answer as Buddy Ryan regarding our offense:  "we have Cam."  Actually, we had Cam and Olsen.  And a defense that, in its prime, flat out intimidated people.  It created turnovers which led to points.  In 2015, our OL was unexciting on paper, but somehow gelled until the Broncos exposed the weakness (and weakness in the coaching staff to not counter what they were doing).  We had a great year, but not quite good enough.,

Now take that team, remove Olsen, remove the defense, and field an OL for which unexciting would be an improvement.

Schultz's first law of human behavior is the worst thing you can do to anyone is give them exactly what they want.  I fear we are going to prove it yet again.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

This. Every time they needed to run the clock out, they did. How many times did we need a stop to get one last shot at a drive only to get the ball ran down our throats? Elite d my ass. 

Our pass d sucked too but teams knew they didn't need to pass the ball to win.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

At this point I'm really hoping Tepper does gut the team for this.

I don't understand how letting your top FA defensive players walk while at the same time missing out on signing any decent O-line guys is helping to sway Watson. Looks like preparing to tank moves 

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Panthers Defense from this past year

Jones ->FA
Derrick Brown -> rumored in trade
Fox-> Cut
Reddick->FA
Shaq
Jermaine Carter->FA
Burns->Rumored in Trade
Bouye->Cut
Djax->FA
Gilmore->FA
Burris->FA
Chinn-> Rumored in trade
Horn->coming off injury

The process is finally revealing itself and sweet VICTORY is upon us!!!!

excited the waterboy GIF

• The D 1

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're also going to lose Gilmore, Bouye, Jackson and Reddick. If we lose Reddick and Burns there goes the majority of our pass rush. Losing Gilmore, Bouye, and Jackson would be losing three of our top 4 CBs. Losing Chinn would be losing our best all around defender.

Make no mistake about it, our D would be GUTTED.

No problem. The mighty Watson will play offense/defense, break the scoreboard with touchdowns, manage the front office and still have time to peruse the finest massage establishments in town. We got this.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I don't understand how letting your top FA defensive players walk while at the same time missing out on signing any decent O-line guys is helping to sway Watson. Looks like preparing to tank moves 

Its a desperation move by an inexperienced own that's use to getting he's way.  Rhule is certainly on board with this because it's his best shot at keeping his job as long as he kisses Watson's ass. The word on the street is proving to be 100% accurate regarding the FO being amateur hour. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I can't envision Watson looking at what's happening in Carolina and thinking to himself "Carolina is where I can take my game to the next level".

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• PMH4OWPW7JD2TDGWZKTOYL2T3E.jpg

• Topics

• You wanted to be educated, get prepared… What @MillionDollarCam said about Kahlina and the defense, we’re currently tied for 2nd for fewest goals allowed, with a current streak of 4 straight shutouts.  Positional thoughts… GK - Already mentioned Kahlina DEFENDERS - Back four have been solid, even more the central defenders, Malanda and Privett.  We knew Malanda had potential and he’s living up to it so far this season.  Privett, even though solid last year, his potential was never clear, but this season he’s showing his true potential.   Fullbacks, Byrne and Uronen also solid.  Uronen currently injured (not sure how long) and hopefully not too long cause the current backup, Joao Pedro has been a liability these last 2 games when filling in.  Byrne’s backup, we still have Lindsey who fills in nicely as a sub or whenever starts to give Byrne some light rest.   Other backups, Diop and Tuiloma. Diop has yet to play this season I believe and Tuiloma, below average to average.  MIDFIELDERS - Ashley Westwood is top notch, nothing bad at all to say about the guy, imo.  Box to box midfielder, takes ownership of the defensive midfield area when opposition has the ball and support upfield when Charlotte is in control.  Diani seems like a similar player as Westwood, but obviously not as good.  Petkovic,  Bronico play a bit more upfield but Bronico being more defense focused.  Same as Arfield and Urso, Urso a bit more defense focused.  Then there’s Djaegere, who even though he’s the no. 10 and should be the playmaking outfielder, just looks lost out there most of the time, and unfortunately he’s been out there plenty.  Cambridge and Bender (injury) have to played so far this year. WINGERS - Because of injuries, Djaegere has been asked to play there plenty and I already mentioned my thoughts about him.  Maybe playing out of position is why he looks lost but he makes the simplest mistakes and awful passes at times.  Main guys are Vargas and Abada.  Abada has been bc of injury almost 2 months I think? I believe returns next game against Philly.  But when he’s in, oh man the attack level picks up a lotttt.  He knows how to time his runs perfectly to get open.  Vargas is a threat to get into the box and get open as well but sometimes he misses the easy passes (idk if it’s bc selfish or just doesn’t see it) and decides to shoot, needs to work on his vision.   FORWARDS - Swiderski is currently out on loan in Italy, but Italy could buy him at the end of the loan, which may happen. Iuri Tavares, back up, his natural position is forward but has been playing this season mostly on the wing since we lack players there and injuries.  Below average to average, has his moments winning one-on-one.  Even though he’s no longer on the team, he needs to be mentioned  Enzo Copetti…brought in as a DP who never played to that form last year but not really “bad” either. but oh man this year… Horrible, I don’t even know how else to put it.  After 2-3 horrible games to start the season, Dean Smith started to played the back up more and more   And that leads me to Patrick Agyemang.  When he started subbed in for Copetti, such a difference.  Easily better than Copetti, which is insane if you think about that he came through CLT through the draft last year (which usually doesn’t yield good players quick) and Copetti was a DP.  So that led to Charlotte selling Copetti, he went bye bye and now it’s Agyemang’s spot and deserved. So in summary: Defense: STRONG Midfield: Outside of Westwood, needs work..starting with getting Djaegere out and finding a true playmaker   Wings: Solid when healthy, need depth Forward: Agyemang average but still growing, and is just going to get better. With Jozwiak out during the past transfer window and now Copetti, there’s 2 DP slots open for Charlotte to get some real good players. And seeing how Dean Smith has evaluated players this season, I trust they’ll get the right guys. Dean Smith, he’s done amazing for what he’s been dealt with and he’s not afraid of playing younger players over experienced ones.
    • Oh no they finally changed Twitter to X on the browser