• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defense may be decimated

Jmac

7 hours ago, ncfan said:

Panthers Defense from this past year

Jones ->FA
Derrick Brown -> rumored in trade
Fox-> Cut
Reddick->FA
Shaq
Jermaine Carter->FA
Burns->Rumored in Trade
Bouye->Cut
Djax->FA
Gilmore->FA
Burris->FA
Chinn-> Rumored in trade
Horn->coming off injury

I fully expect the defense to be substantially worse this coming season. It isn't that we lost many truly elite players(save Gilmore) but we don't have replacements for them and will be unable to replace most with equal or better options from the roster(laughable), from free agency(without nuking the cap) or from the draft(only 1 draft pick available).

17 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Elite offense with decent to good defense. We're about to field one of the worst defenses of all time if we end up trading away Burns and Chinn.

I mean why the hell not at this point. I love how Rhule was billed as a rebuild guy yet I haven't seen once instance of the fact. This year is no different. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's working. 1000%. We just can't see it.

Even if we get Watson (and I hope we do at this point) we are still going to be a terrible team. Getting Watson at least gives us a QB we know that can play. I swear Tepper and Rhule couldn't have done better at tearing up a mediocre team for a terrible one. 

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

Even if we get Watson (and I hope we do at this point) we are still going to be a terrible team. Getting Watson at least gives us a QB we know that can play. I swear Tepper and Rhule couldn't have done better at tearing up a mediocre team for a terrible one. 

It is funny that we launched into a rebuild yet have consistently gotten worse.

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It is funny that we launched into a rebuild yet have consistently gotten worse.

Well that's because we haven't really rebuilt. It's like taking a player like Gilmore vs Fields. Giving up picks for a projects and so on. I will be happy to see Watson here and a new coach who will build around him. 

18 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I fully expect the defense to be substantially worse this coming season. It isn't that we lost many truly elite players(save Gilmore) but we don't have replacements for them and will be unable to replace most with equal or better options from the roster(laughable), from free agency(without nuking the cap) or from the draft(only 1 draft pick available).

Easiest way to deal with DW and our offense would be to have long slow drives against a weak defense. 

On 3/14/2022 at 1:59 PM, ickmule said:

Does it really matter? We won 5 games with that crew last year. 

On 3/14/2022 at 2:00 PM, therealmjl said:

exactly. who cares about decimating that overrated unit.

The Texans managed to win a whopping four the last season he started... with a defense that will make what we can field look like a HS defense.

I think Watson behind our retooled o-line, throwing to DJ, CMC, Robby, and Terrace should produce a good passing offense. We know what CMC can in do running the ball. Losing a couple pieces from our defense will of course lower our defensive performance. It is no major task to replace defensive players in the long run.

Securing a franchise QB could take many years, and even then there is no guarantee you'll land one in the draft. Maybe, maybe not. So long as we don't have a franchise QB we are not winning the SB. Missing some defenders is nothing to worry about in the long run.

• Pie 1

Well who on our defense is really young and good? Shaq is probably our best D player. Chinn was good at linebacker but it remains to be seen how good he is at safety. Brown looks like a bust so far, he hasn’t lived up to expectations at all and isn’t worth a contract extension. Burns is probably our second best defensive player but has yet to get over 10 sacks and isn’t that good in the run probably because of his size. He’s going to demand a big payday soon, would you give a big pay day to a defensive end that can’t get 10 sacks and it seems can only rush the passer? Joe Horn looks like the real deal although we haven’t seen a lot of him. The injury is a cause for concern but it’s possible he will be fine. The rest of the defense is a bunch of average players. I wouldn’t mind trading burns now before he demands a big contract. I just don’t see him being worth the money he is going to demand.