• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Watson Thread - Part Deux

Zod

Just now, Cary Kollins said:

Agree he has to be protected. Hopefully this FO realizes that and invests in their franchise QB unlike how Cam was treated the majority of his prime. 

Well, they've started on that with the move for that Guard yesterday. One step in the right direction. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

And Brees was also coming off of an injury so severe that the majority of the NFl were unsure he would ever play again, so that isn't really even the same scenario.

It's unprecedented but the price is steep. I believe the prices for Stafford and Wilson should be the benchmarks though. I don't see logic behind paying drastically more. 

It’s literally just because of his age and what he’s shown so far. the ability to get better every year. You don’t have to agree with that but that IS the reason.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

And Brees was also coming off of an injury so severe that the majority of the NFl were unsure he would ever play again, so that isn't really even the same scenario.

It's unprecedented but the price is steep. I believe the prices for Stafford and Wilson should be the benchmarks though. I don't see logic behind paying drastically more. 

I hear ya.  Honestly if I were the GM I probably wouldn't be making this trade.  It's quite a haul.  But the Panthers are going to go for it and I can kind of understand the reasons why.

It'll either go down as the Herschel Walker trade part 2, or the Texans will squander the picks and there will be an ESPN 30 for 30 special about it some day like the Brady 6.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Cary Kollins said:

Right, you have to think that was part of the pitch when they met with Watson yesterday.

The main thing Fitts needs to do is hit in the Draft. We won't have first rounders for a while. So be it.

But Fitts needs to at least get average-solid players in rounds 3-5. That's where we struggled under Hurney. IF we can do that. Easier said than done. CLEARLY. But if we can do that, we'll be golden like a shower. 

• Pie 2

Just now, TheRumGone said:

It’s literally just because of his age and what he’s shown so far. the ability to get better every year. You don’t have to agree with that but that IS the reason.

I don't think that is the reason at all. That is why there aren't many suitors for him(well, that and the obvious other problems). Notice that only desperate teams are really in the running for him. 

To me, if he does garner that windfall, it won't be his skills or accomplishments nor certainly his age, it will be the sheer desperation of the teams involved.

But....we also don't see the final price yet. So maybe we can have this discussion when his deal gets announced. 

• Pie 2

I think the most interesting thing here is it’s been reported we’re interested in a FA LT regardless of Watson. If we somehow are able to land say Armstead and Watson that would remake the offense overnight. The defense would struggle, especially if we’re giving up one or two younger pieces. They would need to be opportunistic and able to put the ball in Watson’s hands end of games. Over the long haul we have to protect this guy long term. That should be the focal point while adding whatever talent we can to the defense with whatever picks and money we have left over. Chiefs do similar things with FA acquisitions and how they set up contracts. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Lets go get it Canes said:

No. Typical panthers fan wanting a trash reject as their qb. Cam. Kap. Cam. Minshew. Kirk. Who else am I missing from this dumbass fan base that settles for mediocrity. 

You typically have trash reject takes. 

34 minutes ago, joemac said:

Jesus Christ, we're sitting here waiting for a decision about Deshaun Watson, and you come in talking about Gardner freaking Minshew?!?!fuck outta here the kid mero GIF by Desus & Mero

I just don’t want to see the franchise lose Brown, Burns, Chinn for a guy who QBd a four win team recently. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1