• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Options (after Watson)

Evil Hurney

Matt Rhule (hot seat) and to some degree Fitterer & Tepper are NOT going to let Sam Darnold be the only option on the roster this season. So where does the other QB come from now that the Panthers have been formally kicked off the reality show that is "Waiting for Watson"?

The Options

image.png.398c63df1d27da669d68622f3fa6e1ee.png

The Competition

image.png.d40ccf204e20e2251323597641b565e0.png

My Thoughts

If the team wants a veteran I'd prefer a vet over a trade.

In FA I'd have some interest in Winston in the near-term although I think he's destined to be a Saint assuming Watson heads to the Falcons. I'd also have interest in Matt Ryan assuming he's a cap casualty, however I don't think he would sign with us over a place like Indy. The rest of the FA bunch can likely be signed closer to the draft if desired; my personal preference of the "high-end backups" is Dalton.

As mentioned earlier I wouldn't trade for the remaining vets ... at least in the near term. Why burn assets for someone that isn't "the guy". Jimmy G is the most appealing option but has several red flags:

• He is coming back from surgery on his throwing shoulder. In the not too distant past, similar surgery led to lost seasons for Andrew Luck and Cam Newton.
  • How good is he without a top 10 offensive coach?
  • His price to acquire isn't going to be cheap as the Colts and likely the Brown are also bidding for his services.

Ultimately, after seeing few good options in the veteran market, I think the most likely scenario is to draft a QB in the 1st.  While this isn't great for Rhule it does inject "excitement" into our QB room which should appease Tepper. The downside to this is that likely means we'd take a QB at #6 since teams don't typically trade back AND take franchise QBs. With that said, I'd love it if we could trade back into the teens before taking the gamble on on of the rookie QBs.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

Trade: Nick Foles, Brett Rypien, Shane Buechele

Free Agent: Cam Newton, Joe Flacco

Draft: Aqeel Glass, Jack Coan, Desmond Ridder

Those are the only QBs I see capable of leading a team to a championship. Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz were also on my list as trade targets above Foles.

You could get 3 of them on the roster and have them compete. It would be like the season the Packers loaded up on QBs Brett Favre, Ty Detmer, Mark Brunnell, and Kurt Warner.

Packers traded for a 2nd round QB in Brett Favre, drafted Ty Detmer in the 9th round, drafted Mark Brunell in the 5th round, and signed an undrafted free agent in Kurt Warner. It is possible to find multiple hall of fame QBs and franchise QBs if you don't get blinded by 1st round QB hype and combine measurables.

• Pie 1

The worst thing we can do at this point is trade away future draft picks for a washed up veteran QB. Our future could be bright if we can land a top QB prospect in the 2023 draft. If our first round 2023 picks is traded away then I will go on a long rant here, and then I'm leaving until Rhule is fired.

• Pie 2