• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenny Pickett > Malik Willis (at least for us)

janderson20vt

8 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

If you wanna QB like Matt Ryan or Derek Carr, by all means, you have a right to have low standards and be boring, but if you want a good QB to compete with good teams you'll pass on this draft class

Didn't Matt Ryan win an MVP?  If Pickett is a more athletic Matt Ryan he is definitely worth it at 6.

Edited by Pazhoosier89
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

If you wanna QB like Matt Ryan or Derek Carr, by all means, you have a right to have low standards and be boring, but if you want a good QB to compete with good teams you'll pass on this draft class

9 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I swear ppl can't spot talent

On 10/25/2021 at 2:17 PM, ImaginaryKev said:

I'm on the Sam Howell train now. Yes the offensive line needs help but rookie lineman don't instantly improve that and they need multiple new guys there. The salary cap is gonna be large and the Panthers have a ton of cap room going forward to fix that problem. At least on the IOL. 

Sam Howell is in-state, can make all the throws, and is mobile. Also, the best QBs in the NFL now all had question marks (Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Lamar) or are short (Kyler, Russell) or fell in the draft bc it was a "weak class" and another guy got picked first (Aaron Rodgers). 

Sam Howell is the guy if they don't trade for Watson, I don't care how good Tyler Linderbaum is he's still a Center. 

Five months ago you were all aboard the Howell train now even a QB like Derek Carr would be a waste of our time? Just because you have bought into the mythical "next year" phenom franchise changing QB does not mean there is no discussion to be had. No good quarterbacks with a choice want to play here. In your opinion what are the odds we only need one draft pick to find our next franchise QB?

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

So you know more than NFL scouts and teams?

It’s a QB desperate league.  I know that.  And I know when there are no good QBs it helps the meh QBs get drafted higher.  

Pickett isn’t comparable to Trevor, Fields, Jones, etc from last season.   Pickett would be a 3rd round pick in a good QB class.  

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, Toomers said:

This is simply wrong. Where are all these fans that want Pickett. And are comparing him to Marino. Certainly isn’t the author who likely never saw Marino play. I was literally in tears when they passed on Marino. I followed him in HS before PITT. Favorite player ever. Over any Steeler. I’m not sure anyone wants Picket at their 2nd pick except PITT homers. This is like me writing an article on. “The 3rd TRIMESTER and what women should expect”.

Hey, you would know the pulse of the Steelers much more than I would.  Do you think they are rolling with Mitch for now and no QBs in this draft?  The Marino thing is absurd, of course, so thats delusional.  Here is another article on a Tomlin/Pickett connection but who knows if any of these articles are even realistic…

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/kenny-pickett-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft-2022

27 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Hey, you would know the pulse of the Steelers much more than I would.  Do you think they are rolling with Mitch for now and no QBs in this draft?  The Marino thing is absurd, of course, so thats delusional.  Here is another article on a Tomlin/Pickett connection but who knows if any of these articles are even realistic…

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/kenny-pickett-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft-2022

If I had to guess, and it’s more of what I would do. I think they see what happens day one with the QBs and draft DL or CB at 20. Have to figure out if Tuitt is playing this year. Mitch is the perfect, low risk bridge and it’s much cheaper to jump up in 2nd if one they like falls. Just don’t think they want Pickett. Usually anything you hear about them in public is smokescreen. 
And 2nd is a more reasonable risk for Howell, Corral, Strong, Ridder. And if Mitch can’t thrive in this situation, he never will. 

• Pie 1

What about Love? Hes playing behind the best QB in the league. But has a nice release, a big arm, and has been in the league for a few years. Probably could be had for a future 2nd. So gotta ask yourself…rather draft a guy in the 1st or keep the 1st and lose a 2nd for Love. I know we did this with Darnold. But if we had gotten an offer for Love for what we gave up for Darnold last year nobody is turning that down.

10 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Don’t let the media hype fool you Willis is a project who’ player projection is Jalen Hurts 

Not sure what everyone has against Pickett but the guy is calm under pressure, accurate, and processes very well 

He just doesn’t have a huge arm but you can win with a guy like Pickett 

the arm thing is overplayed by this fanbase.  Pickett doesn't have an elite arm like a Cam or Allen, but who does, but he has an above average arm that can make all of the throws.

This idea that he is some low ceiling, Bridgewater clone is just wrong.  Bridgewater was a risk adverse prospect with probably a below average arm.  People act like Pickett is some undersized, weak armed, unathletic prospect and he isn't.

He has good size, 6'3" around 220lbs, above average athlete, above average arm. 

If I remember correctly I saw a tweet one time that he actually led all college QBs in passes and TDS over 20 yards, that in itself isn't indicative of low ceiling.

The biggest issue with Pickett isn't tools, its the fact he had one great season and that scares people.  Also the hand size is a concern for some, just like arm length for tackles some people shy away from that.

If Pickett had multiple seasons like 2021 he would be the top pick in the class, its not the tools holding him back.

He might very well not work, but lets be honest the vast majority of QBs don't work out.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Five months ago you were all aboard the Howell train now even a QB like Derek Carr would be a waste of our time? Just because you have bought into the mythical "next year" phenom franchise changing QB does not mean there is no discussion to be had. No good quarterbacks with a choice want to play here. In your opinion what are the odds we only need one draft pick to find our next franchise QB?

Well said.

Truly elite qb's are rare, and getting one involves a certain amount of luck.  And of all the elite qb's in the NLF right now, only a couple of them were picked in the top 10 (Mahomes and maybe Burrow if he can stay healthy).    

If we draft someone this year and he turns into a Ryan, I would be happy with that.  The trick with that kind of qb is to put the right team around him.    

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, CRA said:

It’s a QB desperate league.  I know that.  And I know when there are no good QBs it helps the meh QBs get drafted higher.  

Pickett isn’t comparable to Trevor, Fields, Jones, etc from last season.   Pickett would be a 3rd round pick in a good QB class.  

Russell Wilson was a third round pick and look how he turned out. Brady a 6th. In the end you don’t know if someone is going to be good or a bust until they play.

• Pie 1