• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton's "cryptic" comment got me to thinkin

MHS831

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

A little bit of Cam in the 2nd clip.  He looks nice but not worthy of 6 and too late for our 4th. 

He does remind me of Cam. I think it would be worth some manipulation of picks to get him at the right spot. It's a low risk situation. He's not untalented. The upside outweighs the downside. Just my opinion. The pragmatist in me coming out.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, methodtoll said:

Agreed. I remember a couple of years ago when Herbert came out and we were in the mix to draft him that many on here didn't want to draft him because many thought he would be a bust but look at him now... Actually doing a great job with the Chargers.

I am, in no way, comparing Pickett to Herbert but can we hold off on the bust talk until he actually plays meaningful games in the NFL?

I do think that we should trade back and gain some more draft capital but with our recent free agent signings, to me it is hinting they are going to stay at 6 and weigh their options.

I didn’t like Herbert, Allen, or Mac. I’ve learned I don’t know poo about QBs. 

18 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Trade 6 for Philly's 15 and Minshew.  That's just as valuable as a 4th round pick and they have chance to get a top tier piece.   We drop down and still have a good chance of getting a LT or maybe Linderbaum.

They'd need to add a 2nd or 3rd for that.

20 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Trade 6 for Philly's 15 and Minshew.  That's just as valuable as a 4th round pick and they have chance to get a top tier piece.   We drop down and still have a good chance of getting a LT or maybe Linderbaum.

Linderbaum is probably not a target with Bozeman now in the fold.  

4 minutes ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

He does remind me of Cam. I think it would be worth some manipulation of picks to get him at the right spot. It's a low risk situation. He's not untalented. The upside outweighs the downside. Just my opinion. The pragmatist in me coming out.

Agree. Drafting a guy like that in the mid-rounds makes all the sense in the world IMO. Yeah, he's probably boom or bust but if you draft a boom at QB in the mid-rounds that's a franchise altering draft pick (see Russell Wilson to Seattle in the 3rd).

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

I liked the video and we're going to have to do some serious manipulation to get him. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

Cam was a markedly better player, and proved it against top level competition.

Willis is not on that level.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agree. Drafting a guy like that in the mid-rounds makes all the sense in the world IMO. Yeah, he's probably boom or bust but if you draft a boom at QB in the mid-rounds that's a franchise altering draft pick (see Russell Wilson to Seattle in the 3rd).

It also makes sense to me that in this draft class you run the chance of any one of them being boom or bust. If he busts and is a mid draft pick, you still have options to try again next year when the overall class is better.

3 minutes ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

It also makes sense to me that in this draft class you run the chance of any one of them being boom or bust. If he busts and is a mid draft pick, you still have options to try again next year when the overall class is better.

Oh, you always run the risk of any draft pick busting. This myth of a "safe pick" needs to die.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be clear, David Newton isn't the only one to say this. Others have repeated it as well (Breer, for one).

That makes me think either it's a narrative the team wants out there, or the simpler answer...it's true.

I'm usually as skeptical as anyone when it comes to news but it very well could be true like you say.

A lot of us fans want to wait until next year to draft a QB in a more talented class but a lot of fans are also expecting to to be drafting in the top-5.

I feel pretty confident in saying that Rhule, and Fitterer, and Morgan aren't expecting to be drafting in the top-5 next year based on all of the moves they have done the offseason.  They might very well be wrong, but they don't' have that mindset.

What if end up drafting 12-15 next year, at that point we might end up with QB5.  This year at 6 we could easily get QB1.  It is not crazy at all to believe that they might like the top QB in this class as much as the 4th or 5th QB in next years class.  Here again they might be wrong, but its not crazy to believe they are thinking that way.

• Pie 2